Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014

ccrasmus is on a distinguished road
Sailboat that can be beached???

So I finished ASA 101 and fell in love with sailing here on the Ches Bay. I wanted to buy a small boat that had a main and jib that I could launch directly from the beach and not a dock. I also wanted a boat I could launch and sail by myself if no one else was around to sail.
SO I bought a used Vanguard 15 from a local college as they retire them from their racing fleet periodically.
We got it to the beach on the dolly and rolled it to the beach, launched it, immediately tipped it as we tried to figure out how to get the dagger board in, rudder down AND then jump into the boat from chest deep water with small waves with SW winds at about 10 knots. Luckily I was with an experience sailor so we righted the boat and off we went.
Not a bad maiden voyage but then comes the problem....I cannot get the boat to the waters edge alone with or without the dolly. The hull with the mast is about 250 lbs and I weigh about 120 lbs.
I know that a catamaran is my best choice for a beach launch sailboat but I do not want a trampoline but a monohull and nothing over 15 ft. Does anyone have any suggestions on a great small monohull with mail and jib that I can launch from the beach alone???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2014
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat that can be beached???

Would conditions have allowed you to set out with the sails down and paddle out?
The Following User Says Thank You to rgscpat For This Useful Post:
ccrasmus (07-06-2014)
Old 07-04-2014

juggleandhope is on a distinguished road

You want to be able to do it by yourself and be able to invite others. Not to have to importune others to help you do something you can't do by yourself.

Seems like three possible general options;
1. You get better technology - a lighter boat, a better dolly, a better launching spot.
2. You get better strength - squats, pushups, etc so you can muscle the situation better.
3. You get better technique - row without sails, use a small anchor, use a little ladder, etc.

Congrats on getting into sailing and having the big bay right there. Boat sounds like a fun one too. I wonder if these folks (the Vanguard 15 "Fleet Captain" has contact # listed) could help? Severn Sailing Association

Good luck.
ccrasmus likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to juggleandhope For This Useful Post:
ccrasmus (07-06-2014)
Old 07-04-2014
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

Is the beach steep, or is the sand real soft? Seems like you should be able to move 250lbs across hard(ish) level(ish) sand with a good dolly. Maybe you just need different wheels?

Or some funky bicycle to tow it with.
Old 07-04-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

The WETA trimaran may give you the best of all worlds. have a look
Old 07-04-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

You need to rig the boat AFTER you are afloat. any other way with the rigging up will make it difficult. Best thing is to have the rigging ready and set up so it can be raised ordropped easily.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Depending on conditions and assuming you want to get wet? Swim out with an anchor. Drop it. Launch & haul the boat out a bit, then raise the sails & rig it, at anchor.

Not an ideal situation but it might do. Until you get a trailer.
Old 07-04-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

a. Try a forum where people sail beach boats. Google "trailer sailor forum."
b. You need a kick-up rudder.
c. The business about rigging while afloat is nonsense. There are many beach launched boats that tolerate rigging on the sand.
d. Reconsider a small cat or a Laser. They are popular for good reasons.
e. Hang around beaches where people surf launch. See what they've got.

I used a to beach launch a Prindle 18 back when I was 150 pounds. Piece of cake with good fat wheels and good tech. Raising the mast was to only challenge (I built a winch for that).

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2014

I think you are right about different wheels on the dolly. I will try the inflatable wheels used on the beach carts around here this weekend. Hurricane Aurthur hit the coast giving us 5 feet waves in the bay but winds turn to the SW tmrw so I will try the launch with better wheels on the dolly!
Old 07-06-2014

I do have a kick up rudder and I think the fat wheels idea is what I need to try next. I have to agree that rigging it up after its in the water isn't necessary because I have no problem rigging the sails up on the beach. My brother has a Prindle and we took it out today on the bay as the wind was still whipping from the NE as the remnants of hurricane aurthur left and that was fun but still not a big fan of the tramp. I saw a Force 5 today on the beach so I am going to find the owner of that one and talk to them a bit as well. Thanks for your advice!