Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Docking and Undocking

I agree. Sometimes you simply have to get off the internet, put the book down, and DO it.

You need to learn YOUR boat. They're all different, they all handle a little differently. Your marina, your slip, is YOUR environment. There are simply too many variables to address in any number of books and articles.

All of these amateur "Masters & Commanders" that feel the need to singlehand their 50 footers, don't realize that their brain has written a check that their body can't cash.

I realize that we have some Sailnetters that shorthand large boats, like Smack, Minnewaska and Bene50, but those guys have demonstrated their competence.
Dog Ship likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2014

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

Exactly,
The marina we just left has a +2 knot current that hit us broadside.
The distance between the end of our finger and the fingers on the other side of the slipway is 50'.
Our boat is almost 34' and when tied up we have about 4' from us to our neighbour. I also like to go out when it's windy.
Furthermore our propshaft sits on a 15 degree angle to port, we had a starboard tie. In reverse the prop walk to port is horrendous.
There was nothing leisurely about docking or undocking our boat, it sucked.
There was no room for a "redo" it was a one shot deal.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 07-09-2014

abudoggie is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. Took out our old but new to us Pearson 28 and the prop walk had me turned out of sorts. Of course audience was in full force. Just did standing turn out to realign and move on "yeah I meant to do that". Docking upon return was interesting as I began turn into our slip wife says "no we are a few more slips down next to the BLUE boat". OK. Thanks for that. Proceed ahead. Nope. There were two blue boats and the first approach was correct. So I hit reverse and to my amusement the prop walk had us on perfect angle to back into slip. Almost no effort or thought other than to grab and cleat the lines. "yeah I meant to do that". See the need for much practice here especially to prepare for not so good conditions.
Old 07-09-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Although I've been sailing for 35+ years I was never in a slip until last year. Docking scares me more than storms.
I have no trouble anchoring or picking up a mooring by myself. I have no trouble singling my boat. But I can't dock without another person present. The throttle is on the starboard side of the binnacle. I can't see the port side of the boat and mainain access to throttle. We dock port to and there is no finger between me and the next boat. She is a 40+ foot motor yacht which gives me ~3-4 feet to play with. That and the prop walk makes for the need for forethought.
Prevailing winds are S or SW. Finger pier is N/S. No major deal docking with my wife except when winds go north it's a white knuckle affair. So far we haven't hurt the gel coat and the boat is without a scratch. Had hired a husband/wife team who taught us "cowboy" docking using a tied loop to get spring ( and stern/bow lines) done. Tried it once with them with North wind. A disaster. They admitted their system failed with a north wind. Spoke to other experienced cruisers and delivery captains. They universally said the husband/wife teams advice was unsafe. If you had a loop over a dock cleat and needed to get free the time required to free yourself would likely lead to injury to boat or crew. If the other end was thrown off could end up in water and then your prop or bow thruster. Last week we had fresh breeze here every day. Sailing was great. On day winds were 20-30 from north just anchored out so as to not stress the bride.
Sometimes the best docking technique is to not dock but just throw the hook and wait for more favorable wind and current.

Last edited by outbound; 07-09-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road
I dock in a very similar situation. when docked, the boat faces north. Finger pier to.port, throttle to starboard. I do have a piling to jstarboard to judge my distance to the dock on the port side. All lines are on the dock. The spring is hanging on a hook. As I am coming in, all that needs to be done is grab spring and place over the cleat that is just forward of the shrouds. Then I use a boat hook to grab the stern.line off the dock. Once these two are made, I can throttle forward to pin the boat against the dock. Then securing the remaining lines is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound:2000769
Although I've been sailing for 35+ years I was never in a slip until last year. Docking scares me more than storms.
I have no trouble anchoring or picking up a mooring by myself. I have no trouble singling my boat. But I can't dock without another person present. The throttle is on the starboard side of the binnacle. I can't see the port side of the boat and mainain access to throttle. We dock port to and there is no finger between me and the next boat. She is a 40+ foot motor yacht which gives me ~3-4 feet to play with. That and the prop walk makes for the need for forethought.
Prevailing winds are S or SW. Finger pier is N/S. No major deal docking with my wife except when winds go north it's a white knuckle affair. So far we haven't hurt the gel coat and the boat is without a scratch. Had hired a husband/wife team who taught us "cowboy" docking using a tied loop to get spring ( and stern/bow lines) done. Tried it once with them with North wind. A disaster. They admitted their system failed with a north wind. Spoke to other experienced cruisers and delivery captains. They universally said the husband/wife teams advice was unsafe. If you had a loop over a dock cleat and needed to get free the time required to free yourself would likely lead to injury to boat or crew. If the other end was thrown off could end up in water and then your prop or bow thruster. Last week we had fresh breeze here every day. Sailing was great. On day winds were 20-30 from north just anchored out so as to not stress the bride.
Sometimes the best docking technique is to not dock but just throw the hook and wait for more favorable wind and current.
Old 07-09-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Great idea. Thanks. Unfortunately have mom system, dinghy engine and hoist on port aft. So far in north wind finding having someone jump off with aft spring. ( stops boat) and stern line( keeps now in ) is what works best. In less wind and with less rail junk your idea sounds great.
Old 2 Days Ago

BostonDirk is on a distinguished road

Docking is always an adventure when new inexperienced crew is on board. I make it a rule to explain every crew member in detail what his task will be during docking and let him/her repeat to make sure they understood everything. This makes it so much easier and for me and the crew and we did not have any mishaps. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Old 2 Days Ago

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about

The space ship Enterprise undocks, the rest of us that own sailboats cast off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2 Days Ago
Senior in age only

HankOnthewater is on a distinguished road

I like OutBound's advice: "Sometimes the best docking technique is to not dock but just throw the hook and wait for more favorable wind and current." I used this often when I sailed my 10 ton boat without an engine.

2nd advice (not sure who first coined this phrase): "Approach the dock with the speed you wish to hit it."

If I go into my own pen/slip/dock, then all the lines are the correct length, and it is merely getting the loops of the lines over the right cleats on the boat. Therefore when I have others on board, I explain, like BostonDirk, and show them before we leave,

When on my own, I get one springer on, and gently leaving the engine in gear and rudder hard the other way (opposite to the side where the springer is attached). That gives me all the time in the world to secure all the other lines.

If I am on my own coming alongside a jetty, I use a long springer, loop the eye on a cleat midships or the the stern quarter, take this line around/over a bollard/pole/cleat ashore, and fasten this line again on the boat to the same cleat on the boat. Again like above, gentle use the engine to bring the boat alongside, steering away from the jetty.
When leaving, again one person can do that, and he/she stays on the boat. Just take the end (without a loop or knot!) off the cleat and pull the line (from the loop side) back on board.
2cts worth I hope, maybe less.

Last edited by HankOnthewater; 2 Days Ago at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo