• 1 Post By ovb
  • 1 Post By ScottUK
  • 1 Post By theonecalledtom
  • 1 Post By CalebD

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2014

Nancyleeny is on a distinguished road
First Time Crewing!!

My husband and I crewed today with a very nice gentleman on a J22 for three races. Wow!! This was hard!! But fun! The hardest part was getting the spinnaker onto the mast, moving it around when we gybed, getting the spinnaker up and then down. The last race, it kept getting caught in the cleat, and my husband was up front with his hands full and the spinnaker got into the water, yikes!!! That ended our spinnaker day for us!!

We came in last the first race out of 13, 8th the second and even though we had no spinnaker our second time up the lake, we came in 10th. I was bummed because when we had the spinnaker incident, we were in 4th!!! I have to learn about spinnakers - we didn't do them in our 101 class and I found it scary to get it up, and fly it, which was my position.

But I wasn't nervous when we were heeling way over, or afraid at all with the normal stuff, so we are hoping that, wet sail and all, he asks us back. Any videos or info on spinnaker sailing would be greatly appreciated!!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2014

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Re: First Time Crewing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyleeny View Post
My husband and I crewed today with a very nice gentleman on a J22 for three races. Wow!! This was hard!! But fun! The hardest part was getting the spinnaker onto the mast, moving it around when we gybed, getting the spinnaker up and then down. The last race, it kept getting caught in the cleat, and my husband was up front with his hands full and the spinnaker got into the water, yikes!!! That ended our spinnaker day for us!!

We came in last the first race out of 13, 8th the second and even though we had no spinnaker our second time up the lake, we came in 10th. I was bummed because when we had the spinnaker incident, we were in 4th!!! I have to learn about spinnakers - we didn't do them in our 101 class and I found it scary to get it up, and fly it, which was my position.

But I wasn't nervous when we were heeling way over, or afraid at all with the normal stuff, so we are hoping that, wet sail and all, he asks us back. Any videos or info on spinnaker sailing would be greatly appreciated!!

Nancy
If you crewed on my boat I would definitely invite you back! I like people who aren't afraid to go up on the foredeck and give their best effort to do something difficult that they never did before. Each time you do that, you'll learn more and become more skilled. If, on the other hand, you cowered in the cockpit, afraid to even try, you wouldn't develop any skills, and you wouldn't be invited back. Good for you!
Nancyleeny likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailormon6 For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014

Nancyleeny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
If you crewed on my boat I would definitely invite you back! I like people who aren't afraid to go up on the foredeck and give their best effort to do something difficult that they never did before. Each time you do that, you'll learn more and become more skilled. If, on the other hand, you cowered in the cockpit, afraid to even try, you wouldn't develop any skills, and you wouldn't be invited back. Good for you!
Well, today was my husband's turn to be on the foredeck. I will do it next time. I flew the spinnaker, which I never did before, and it was confusing at first, but once the captain told me to look at the edge of the sail to see if it needed to be adjusted, and just play it back and forth, I really liked it!! It was really cool to control such a big and beautiful sail with a few pulls and really feel the wind as it shifted and changed. Kind of magical.

Thanks for the encouragment!
Nancy
Old 07-12-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Learning, and having fun doing it. Doesn't get much better than that.
Nancyleeny likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to PBzeer For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014

ovb is on a distinguished road

Way to go!!!! now that you guys have been baptized by the chute check out the web page the Foredecks union...great laughs
Nancyleeny likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ovb For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

That's brillant. Hope you get invited back.
Nancyleeny likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottUK For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

I've been collecting links to videos here - 36.7: Sailing Tips if you find more good ones pm me the links and I'll add them
Nancyleeny likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to theonecalledtom For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Nancy,
Wow! You & your guy are troopers! I'm proud of you two.

Flying the spinnaker on a planing hull like a J24' with no prior experience is asking a lot but you guys stuck with it. The best way to learn spinnaker handling is to do it more often. To that end...

Racing skippers generally like to have a crew made up of repeat (experienced) crew members. If you and your hubby can give this skipper a firm commitment that you would race each week he might prefer to have you crew than a more experienced one-off crew each week.

The other great thing you accomplished is to see what it is like to sail on a J24. The more different kinds of boats you can crew on the better idea you will have of which boat you might want to own.
Nancyleeny likes this.

Everybody has one:

The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (07-13-2014)