Do the Cat 22s, and the S2 26 footers, etc., use spinnakers? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014

Nancyleeny is on a distinguished road
Do the Cat 22s, and the S2 26 footers, etc., use spinnakers?

Just wondering after flying a spinnaker for the first time the other day. Do the cruiser type boats have/use spinnakers? If so, are they on a pole you have to take up and down, and move when gybing?

Thanks!
Nancy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Do the Cat 22s, and the S2 26 footers, etc., use spinnakers?

It depends on how the individual boat is rigged. Most small cruisers didn't come rigged for a spinnaker from the factory, but the hardware might be added afterwords.

There are two basic types of spinnaker, symmetric ones are flown from a pole and require a place to attach the pole to the mast as well as a topping lift and downhaul.

Asymmetric spinnakers are flown from a bowsprit or the stem of the boat (like a big not hanked on genoa) and don't require a pole. You would just require an additional spinnaker halyard and blocks for the sheets at the back of the boat.

The spinnakers have different uses (apparent wind angles where they work best) and I carry both of them on my boat.
Nancyleeny likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex W For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

My Catalina 22 came with a spinnaker and pole, and is rigged with blocks for the uphaul, downhaul, and spinnaker sheets.

I haven't used it yet. I'll need to buy a bunch of line, and I'll need to work up the courage to try something as silly as flying a spinnaker on a lake that's only a mile long and is known for really flukey wind shifts.
juggleandhope and Nancyleeny like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

S2 7.9 OD uses a spinnaker (symmetrical) as part of OD rules
Capri 25 OD uses a spinnaker (symmetrical) as part of OD rules
J24 symmetrical "" """
J22 symmetrical """"
J80 asymmetrical """"
J70 asymmetrical """"

and the list goes on.
But those are common boats you'll see on the smaller side.
Any boat can be rigged with either symmetrical, or asymmetrical...
Nancyleeny likes this.
Nancyleeny (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014

Nancyleeny is on a distinguished road

Thank you or all this information! I need to go look at info,on asymmetric spinnakers, since I have never paid attention to them.
Thanks again,
Nancy
Old 07-15-2014
always busy with sailing

Asymmetric spinnakers work best on boats that are rigged to fly them with a bowsprit. Look at any modern J/boat (like a J/70) for an example of how that works.

Asymmetric spinnakers that are made for cruising boats also work, but they work best over a fairly narrow wind angle and can't be flown as deeply as you can fly a symmetrical spinnaker. The advantage is that they have much simpler rigging since you don't need the pole.
Old 07-15-2014

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I would bet that 70% of cruisers don't use spinnakers, though many of that 70 do wing out their jibs on whisker poles or on the otherwise unused spinnaker pole.

But if you live or cruise in light-air land and your next port is straight downwind, an old-school symmetrical spinnaker can give you a useful sailing day on a run at (say) 4 knots, when no spinny means you are crawling along at about 2 knots under sail, or breathing your own exhaust motoring or motorsailing.

Assymmetrical "spinnakers" are really lightweight unstayed big (really big) jibs. Being tacked down on the boat's centerline, they get partially or completely blanketed by the main when you run, or even deep broad reach. And to jibing them is real work, since you have the friction of pullingl the sail around against itself while trying not to let it fill aft of the headstay instead of in front of it, which it loves to do and which you and the boat will hate. They do work nicely on a "middling" broad reach, but you're covering lots of extra real estate to do that if your destination is a dead run or nearly so, plus you're having to jibe more.

I have over-answered your question. I'm a fan of spinnys for cruisers. But I think the old-school syms are more practical.

Oh, and, uh, whichever one you use, make a point of stowing it well before that dark cloud way over there gets too much closer. Much easier that way, spinnakers are Satanic when you get into a sudden squall.
Nancyleeny likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to nolatom For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014
always busy with sailing

Good advice.

I also find a sock on the spinnaker to be very useful for cruising. I can easily single hand jybe a spinnaker on a pole with a sock by dousing it with the sock, jybing over the main, jybing the socked spinnaker by hand, then raising it again. It takes a minute or so, but is a lot safer and easier than trying to jybe the spinnaker while it is flying singlehanded. It is easier for me than trying to jybe the asym singlehanded while it is flying too.

North Sails and ATN make the best socks. They have a big fiberglass funnel that efficiently douses the chute. Most other socks just have a wire loop sewn into the fabric and it isn't as effective.
Nancyleeny likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex W For This Useful Post:
Nancyleeny (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Not to hijack the original thread, but since we have all these spinnaker experts together….

The lake I'm on is tiny, it's a mile long north-south and a half mile wide east-west. Because of the way the wind comes over the trees it's not unusual to get sudden 90ļ wind shifts, especially near the edge of the lake.

Is it crazy of me to even think of using a spinnaker?

And how about using it without the pole? I've seen pictures of C22s running dead downwind with a spinnaker with no pole, just flying free in front of the boat. It seems like that might work in my situation where I'm not racing and will only be able to have the spinnaker up for five or ten minutes before I'd have to douse it and tack back to the other end of the lake.
Nancyleeny likes this.
Old 07-15-2014

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Well, yes, sort of crazy, but in a good way... ;-)

I wouldn't encourage flying it without the pole, though it can be a useful skill for short period just after you've removed the pole, or just before you've managed to get it hooked on. Spinnies are unstable and wobbly enough even *with* the pole.

Okay, tiny lake, windshifts. Hmmmm. Stay well away from the windward shore (that reduces your small lake to really small, can't be helped I guess). And you'll just get it up and flying when you have to take it down again before you run onto the leeward shore under full sail.

But it sure will make you a good spinnaker handler! Choose light air so you have more time, and less force.

Or get huge earth-movers and dredges to make your lake bigger? I'm out of ideas, but good luck, "flying the kite" is worth learning and it's fun to brag on later.
Nancyleeny likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to nolatom For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (07-15-2014)