Finally sailed the Detroit River off Belle Isle - SailNet Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-16-2014 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Finally sailed the Detroit River off Belle Isle

Finally launched my Laser at Belle Isle. There is a small beach adjacent the Detroit Yacht Club at the west end of the little water way that separates it from Belle Isle. I had to quickly pull my car along side the curb and lift the boat off on to the grass bank. Then pull into the parking lot directly across from it and start to haul the parts over to the boat.Dragged the boat down to the water and I was gone. It was a beautiful day with just enough wind to keep from being pulled down stream . Sailed up and over the northeast point of the Island towards Canada. It was cool seeing the freighters and everything else from the little sailboat. may not seem like much , but to me it was the cumulation of three years of study ,practice and restoring.
I've had the big blue book,Chapmans' "Piloting"at my beds' night stand for winter reading. Learned to read, and studied the nautical charts. Restored, busted and rebuilt my Laser several times.Then finally made the jump from the little inland lakes...into the Detroit River/StClair. I gave up a lot of other activities to do this ,Triathlon, fishing, etc....but it was all worth it.
It is an eighty mile road trip to Detroit for me , but I'll be back. I want to sail up and around Peche island and back.Need to get my self bailer working better first. Hah
mustangchef is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 07-16-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 8
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Finally sailed the Detroit River off Belle Isle

Laser exploring? Sounds like big fun, and welcome to sailing, a lifetime pleasure (so also is the Laser, sail it well and you can sail anything well).

Waterproof portable VHF and waterproof envelope for your cell phone a useful precaution. Learn the local bridge-to-bridge radio channel for ship traffic just in case you need to talk to them, and the protocol for Channel 16.

And if anything on the boat ever comes loose that's hard to reach (outhaul, halyard knot, masthead) an intentional capsize and a brief tactical swim makes it all accessible.

Last edited by nolatom; 07-16-2014 at 11:17 AM.
nolatom is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 7 Old 07-16-2014 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Finally sailed the Detroit River off Belle Isle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Laser exploring? Sounds like big fun, and welcome to sailing, a lifetime pleasure (so also is the Laser, sail it well and you can sail anything well).

Waterproof portable VHF and waterproof envelope for your cell phone a useful precaution. Learn the local bridge-to-bridge radio channel for ship traffic just in case you need to talk to them, and the protocol for Channel 16.

And if anything on the boat ever comes loose that's hard to reach (outhaul, halyard knot, masthead) an intentional capsize and a brief tactical swim makes it all accessible.
Yes , Laser exploring..you got it...I do carry a deck mounted paddle.
Interesting. Thank you. VHF?Very high frequency? for what? I don't carry a cell phone. Should I ? I could get a track phone .
mustangchef is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 7 Old 07-16-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 8
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Finally sailed the Detroit River off Belle Isle

Correct on VHF, your basic marine radio. Handheld one will work for you, not too expensive. Let's say it goes flat-ass calm and you want to make sure that big lake ore carrier, squinting into the sun or into fog, sees you? Your radio just paid for itself. And also has the marine NOAA weather channel.

Channel 16 is the "distress and calling frequency", if you ever had to call a Mayday or relay one for someone else. Also for initially calling another vessel then switching to another channel for the conversation so as to leave 16 clear for distress calls.

Cell phone just for general comms or reassuring someone ashore in case you stay out late. Also for weather radar and other web stuff, you're a singlehander so having comms is a good hole card, just in case.

Last edited by nolatom; 07-16-2014 at 11:35 AM.
nolatom is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 7 Old 07-16-2014 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Finally sailed the Detroit River off Belle Isle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Correct on VHF, your basic marine radio. Handheld one will work for you, not too expensive. Let's say it goes flat-ass calm and you want to make sure that big lake ore carrier, squinting into the sun or into fog, sees you? Your radio just paid for itself. And also has the marine NOAA weather channel.

Channel 16 is the "distress and calling frequency", if you ever had to call a Mayday or relay one for someone else. Also for initially calling another vessel then switching to another channel for the conversation so as to leave 16 clear for distress calls.

Cell phone just for general comms or reassuring someone ashore in case you stay out late. Also for weather radar and other web stuff, you're a singlehander so having comms is a good hole card, just in case.
got it! putting a VHF in a dry bag I just installed aft the cockpit this week. Thanks
mustangchef is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 7 Old 07-16-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Finally sailed the Detroit River off Belle Isle

I'd like to invite you to visit the Sandusky Sailing Club on our easy-to-sail Bay. Just tell 'em past commodore Skip sent ya. We have members from Ann Arbor, Cincinnati & Pittsburgh - among other places - because the sailing is so good here . .
ajoliver is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 7 Old 07-16-2014 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Finally sailed the Detroit River off Belle Isle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoliver View Post
I'd like to invite you to visit the Sandusky Sailing Club on our easy-to-sail Bay. Just tell 'em past commodore Skip sent ya. We have members from Ann Arbor, Cincinnati & Pittsburgh - among other places - because the sailing is so good here . .
I'll google map it and check it out , Thanks...maybe I'll get the boys together and bring the Lightning...sounds cool.
mustangchef is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Launched the Laser on Detroits Belle Isle mustangchef General Discussion (sailing related) 1 06-28-2014 12:12 AM
North End of Detroit River mustangchef General Discussion (sailing related) 1 09-29-2013 09:25 PM
U.S. Coast Guard rescues 6 from Detroit River - The Detroit News NewsReader News Feeds 0 09-14-2013 06:20 AM
Has anyone sailed on the Ohio River? propwalk General Discussion (sailing related) 4 08-14-2013 01:29 PM
Finally sailed the 192 for the first time today... eMKay General Discussion (sailing related) 4 05-26-2008 02:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome