Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2014

domromer is on a distinguished road
Daysailer vs cat 22

I'm looking to buy my first keel boat. Right now I mostly sail my hobie 16 most weekends. I've been thinking of getting something that would allow me to go further afield and maybe do some camping. I've done some research and it seems that cat 22 is popular for this, I've also sailed a daysailer a fair bit and find it attractive due to it's simplicity. The 22 has a cabin and bunks which would be great for camping as well. I'm not sure which way to go. I was hoping some of you guys could offer some imput.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road
Re: Daysailer vs cat 22

Get yourself a keel boat the C22 is a great starter, I started out in a Venture 21 and less than 2 years I moved up to a MacGregor 25 then onto a Catalina 30. Twenty years later I am in a Coronado 25. The C22 is easy to trailer, rig, and sail it has enough room for a few peeps to join you, or if you have a family you can take the whole group.
Mr. Bubs likes this.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2014
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

I'm with SoCal, get the 22. Not only is it a great boat to learn on (I'm a little biased having had two), but it is a blast to sail. There is no limit to the amount of information out there on them and parts are readily available for any repair you may have to perform, trust me on this. They are easy to rig if you trailer them, a breeze to launch and single hand and fun to overnight on, plus they keel hum is a sure sign you're doing things right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 07-27-2014
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you already have a fun daysailer in your Hobie. If you want something substantially different that you can more easily spend weekends on, a Catalina 22 is a great option. There are also several other boats in that size range that would work, depending on your specific needs and what's available around you. I don't think you can go wrong with a C22 in decent shape though...they're a proven boat with a great community and lots of parts and info around. I certainly loved mine.
Old 07-27-2014
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend a Capri 22... faster than a Cat 22, just as easy to get parts, sails better, and is really more about room for day sailing, but still has decent room below to bed down for the night.... You won't regret the upgrade.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 07-27-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

My C22 can easily make 6 mph measured on my gps in a 8 -10 knot breeze while carrying 6 people. I'm happy with the performance. In my opinion it's a miserable task to rig and set up. But on the whole it's perfect for us.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 07-27-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-07-2014

dixiedawg is on a distinguished road

My wife and I have been trailer-sailing a C22 for a year now, and we couldn't be happier. We were avid tent-campers to start with, and we bought the C22 with the intention of using it as a small "boaterhome". We have the new design, which is a little better suited as an RV than the original (we owned one of those too, briefly).

I guess if I had a complaint, it would be that there is no realistic way for two adults to sleep together in comfort. The cabin space is there, but it seems Catalina was more interested in the marketing pitch "sleeps four!" than "sleeps two adults COMFORTABLY". (My owner's manual actually says the boat sleeps FIVE, which I hope I never live to see! I'll be sleeping on the foredeck if it ever happens - rain or shine! )

I don't find it to be a major pain to set up and take down. My wife is a big help though. It takes us about 40 minutes. Granted, that's an hour and a half taken out of your sailing day, but on an overnight (or multi-night) cruise, it becomes insignificant.

Last edited by dixiedawg; 08-07-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-07-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Do you set yours up while on the trailer? I tried doing it in the slip this year. Was about just as hard. Sailing is hard enough without all that.

If i was really dry sailing, I'd get a smaller daysailer that is easier to set up.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Old 08-07-2014

domromer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm also looking at ww Potter 15s. They seem to be kinda in between the cat and the daysailer.
Old 08-07-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm also looking at ww Potter 15s. They seem to be kinda in between the cat and the daysailer.
I have a Catalina 22 on a little local lake, there are also several West Wight Potter's moored here. They're cute as heck! They're not as stable as a C22 and you couldn't bring as many people, but on the other hand they're cheaper and easier to trailer.

They're light enough you can beach them and brute-force them around on shore. I've seen people beach them and tip them to work on the top of the mast.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.