Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2014

corystemp is on a distinguished road
First Boat???

What is the biggest you should go with your first boat? Am looking to get into sailing but have no experience. Do have someone lined up to who does though to teach me? Need something that has a swing keel so i can trailer it and would like something good for overnighting in with my wife and 2 kids. What are your suggestions????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road
Re: First Boat???

Welcome to Sailnet! There are a lot of people on here that will probably chime in with some great suggestions. Where do you plan to sail? If you are trailering, you will probably need to consider your vehicle's tow capacity, as well as your ability to step the mast and launch/retrieve the boat.
Old 08-01-2014

Chas H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by corystemp View Post
What is the biggest you should go with your first boat? Am looking to get into sailing but have no experience. Do have someone lined up to who does though to teach me? Need something that has a swing keel so i can trailer it and would like something good for overnighting in with my wife and 2 kids. What are your suggestions????
Welcome to the wonderful world of sailing!
Go to boatyards, get on and inside lots of boats, look on craigslist, sailboatlistings, yachtworld, look at boats in marinas. Look at as many boats as you can to get an idea of what is attractive to you and what your needs and desires are. Sail the boat if possible before you buy. You are in a buyers market so don't be afraid to make a lowball offer. A higher price on an older boat however may indicate better maintenance and equipment that cost many boat bucks (c-notes). Ask your experienced friend to go with you if you find a boat you like. A survey may also be a good idea and may be required for insurance coverage. There's more to know, but you'll learn as you go and hear from others in future replies.
-CH
Old 08-01-2014

Westsailforever is on a distinguished road

Catalina 22 hands down .
Old 08-01-2014

corystemp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
Welcome to Sailnet! There are a lot of people on here that will probably chime in with some great suggestions. Where do you plan to sail? If you are trailering, you will probably need to consider your vehicle's tow capacity, as well as your ability to step the mast and launch/retrieve the boat.
I live in washington state so would take trips down the columbia river to learn and someday head to seattle and hit the pacific ocean a little. My current truck is a Chevy 3/4 HD so tow capacity shouldnt be much of a problem.
Old 08-01-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Agree with the Catalina 22. However, you might make the transition to keel boat ownership a little more gradual, and find a smaller trailerable boat that you can learn on, then get a C22, or maybe a little bigger in a year or two. We have found our FJ fun to sail. It has a centerboard and both main and jib (and spinaker if you like). The C22 will be a little tight for four.
Old 08-01-2014

jerryRiggin is on a distinguished road

MacGregor26- it's trailerable, liveable, fast and fun! We spent some time on one in Quebec at the start of this month. It was awesome!
Old 08-01-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

That truck opens up a lot of options regarding towing. Any votes here for the San Juan 26?
Old 08-01-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Am looking to get into sailing but have no experience. Do have someone lined up to who does though to teach me?
I'd suggest learning on OPB's (Other People's Boats), sailing "clubs" provide instruction, a fleet available for charter at reduced rates, club racing, split charters and sails with other members, social activities etc. all without your having to maintain a boat.
You don't need to own a boat to join a yacht club either, usually non-owners get ample opportunities to crew for daysails, cruising and racing.
You don't need to OWN a boat if you KNOW lots of people who do.
Old 08-01-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

My first boat was 39', and that was after only 3 months of weekend sailing on a 33' club boats (just my wife and I). Prior to that the first time I sailed was to take ASA lessons.

To date a 33' boat is the smallest I've ever even been on!