Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Working in a marina or yatch club might be a good option for you. Especially if it is a marina/club that caters to sailboats and sailors.

It would give you the opportunity to see a lot of different boats, and possibly the chance to sail on a few of them. Many yatch clubs have associated sailing educational programs that you might benefit from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2006

mark price is on a distinguished road
hey,if you fall flat on your faces and lose all your moneys,there are far worse things in life, what a great chance.so many peoples lose the point of life......your whole family wanting to work together must be worth millions.get stuck in stuff the neighbors.............GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.. Mark
Old 06-18-2006

mark price is on a distinguished road
hey,if you fall flat on your faces and lose all your moneys,there are far worse things in life, what a great chance.so many peoples lose the point of life......your whole family wanting to work together must be worth millions.get stuck in stuff the neighbors.............GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL.. Mark
Old 06-19-2006
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
Best of luck with your school!

Jeff
Old 06-19-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Sanjuan2R

I guess the adventure of the new sailing school has somewhat gone cold, maybe we'll hear more, or maybe the dream is just that.

As to your question, my advice would be to look for a mate position on a small commercial vessel or a private yacht. As a yacht gets over 50-60' owners may hire a captain who brings on some crew. You'll learn more in a month on a yacht or small ship than most boaters learn in several years...I believe that serving as a mate doesn't require any credentials beyond attitude...

Ggood luck.
Old 06-20-2006
Been here awhile Member

NicPreller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NicPreller Send a message via Skype™ to NicPreller
I sometimes wish things would move faster but at the same time I am grateful for the pace, presently. This way, I will not have "lack of time" as an excuse for not having exercised due diligence thoroughly. The accountants are tasked with the challenge of unraveling consolidated figures in order to prove revenue for the particular site on offer. I do have my moments of doubt from time to time but the passion fires are still burning strongly. Good wise old levelheaded thinking is my counter-balance in this endeavor. The goal is still clearly in view.
Old 06-20-2006
Retired US Marine

mariner3302 is on a distinguished road
Far be it from me to ask dumb questions... but how are you going to teach sailing if you have limited and dated experience? Blind leading the blind? How long do you realistically expect the current owner to stick around to answer questions when he can now go sailing himself.

Some friends of mine went to a sailing school, supposedly the best in the state, and they got no useful information other than this is what this part of the boat is and this is what that sail does. When people pay money to learn to sail, they should get quality, experienced instruction. You may have the respected name of the school behind you for awhile but I hope you can keep it. Why not just buy a boat, take a class and go sailing? Can't run a business and cruise the world at the same time.

Again, no disrespect but I think that you may be putting yourself in for a bad time.
Old 06-21-2006
Been here awhile Member

NicPreller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NicPreller Send a message via Skype™ to NicPreller
I am NOT going to TEACH - I have experienced Ocean Yachtmasters with years and many sea-miles under their belts. The current owner has a vested interest in the continued success of the school and has committed himself to this. As the owner of the school, I intend to continue running it as a business and with the substantial investment I am making, how foolish it would be to allow the high standards to slide.

Thanks for the words of advise/caution.
Old 06-21-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Henry Ford's son was once sued by investors who contended that he was inadequately educated and incompetent to run Ford motor Co. On the witness stand he was asked, "How can you possibly deal with complex tax problems when you have no tax law training, or engineering problems, when you're not an engineer." He said, "The desk in my office has a row of buttons on it. If I have a tax law problem, I push the tax button, and a team of the finest tax lawyers in the country come into my office and tell me whatever I need to know, and if I have an engineering problem, I push the engineering button...."

Last edited by Sailormon6; 06-21-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2006
Retired US Marine

mariner3302 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicPreller
I am NOT going to TEACH - I have experienced Ocean Yachtmasters with years and many sea-miles under their belts. The current owner has a vested interest in the continued success of the school and has committed himself to this. As the owner of the school, I intend to continue running it as a business and with the substantial investment I am making, how foolish it would be to allow the high standards to slide.

Thanks for the words of advise/caution.

Ahh! I see! Best of luck then! It sounds like a great idea now, sailing is always something people are interested in learning or refining!