SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Learning on 20-30 foot sailboat

22K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  MarkSF 
#1 ·
I am just beginning to research sailing with my wife. I have sailed with several friends in the past and have always wanted to learn. There are classes offered locally by a club who races dinghy's (sp?) and two other clubs that offer Basic Keelboating classes. I ultimately want to learn how to sail a boat that is around 30+ feet, but am unsure exactly where to start. Is the Basic Keelboating class the way to go? Is the certification that is included (by the ASA I believe) required? Something I need?

I would also like to know how much one should sail/practice/take lessons before buying a boat. I have a family of four with twin 11-year old daughters. I would like to have the family involved and start sailing on the
Columbia and then.....who knows.

Any help would be grand.

jim

#2 · (Edited)
Island Sailing Club

We were in a similar situation, and we went for a basic keelboat course at Island Sailing Club (on the Columbia at Tomahawk Bay, http://www.islandsailingclub.com/). We then joined the club for a year and sailed their Santana 20s, Capri 22s, Cal 24, and Catalina 25s for a year (with our two kids, age 5 and 7 at that time). We even did overnight trips with the kids to Government Island on their Santana 23 and Catalina 25s.

I learned to sail on Laser IIs and smaller dignhy sailboats many years ago, but for my wife and kids a small keelboat was the way to go. My wife and I learned on the Santana 20 footer and then took it out again many times before moving up to the Capri 22s. We now own our own Cal 20 and a C&C 27.

The ASA certifications aren't required to buy or sail a boat, but we're very happy that we have them. (We should have our Bareboat certification next weekend). Also, we meet quite a few couples with boats in the 30 foot range who don't sail them much because their "learning curve" is progressing very slowly (not having started smaller).

Just yesterday I helped teach a basic "on the water" course for two students in our Cal 20, and both thought it was a perfect size to get started on and "do everything." One of the students already had a 33 footer with her husband, but hadn't done much on it.

So, just my opinion, but start on the smaller keelboats, consider using club boats for six months or a year, and then work up. We feel we made better decisions about what to own by doing so, and now we sail every week almost year-round. (After six hours on the river yesterday, I'm looking forward to another day sail this afternoon with the kids.)

One more plug-- your wife might enjoy joining the Oregon Womens Sailing Association (http://www.owsa.net). It's inexpensive to join, and they have affordable courses just for women, Wednesday night sails on other's boats for fun, group cruises, an informal women's racing seriers, and other activities to build the excitement and confidence of women sailors.

Good luck, and maybe I'll see you on the river.

Jim H
Aurora, a Cal 20
Bailiwick, a C&C 27

#3 ·
I'd recommend an ASA basic keelboat course as well. I would also recommend that you sail on a few different boats, to get a feel for what kind of boat you may be interested in buying later on. Jim's advice about using club boats for a while to begin with is also excellent. Getting your daughters involved will also help.

#4 ·
Good suggestions above. I've taught sailing in club Flying Scots (19' centerboarder) and also taught ASA basic keelboat on a 37' racer-type.

Personally, given a choice, I'd start learning on a small, light centerboarder, then move up to the larger keelboats. I think the best sailors come out of the smaller dinghys--they're more sensitive to absolutely everything, including weight placement, and "body english", and the lack of momentum and inertia make every lesson in steering, balance, and sail trim much more immediate.

Strictly my humble opinion, go with the club dinghy folks first, then try the basic keelboat course with the rest of the family.

#5 ·
I would also highly reccomend an ASA course. Your certificate may help you with your insurance company. the suggestion of club boats is a good one. when we were at the same stage we didn't really know what we wanted in a boat. we ultimately ended up with a much different boat than the one we would have purchase in the beginning. Jim

#6 ·
Start Small

I agree with a previous poster who said that small boats are the most sensitive and responsive.

You learn about trimming ballast (your weight) and sailing in the gusts on a breezy day etc etc. There are subtlies to sailing that can be lost in a bigger boat but are "BASIC SURVIVAL SKILLS" in a dingy. They can not be missed when dingy sailing so you learn them early and they help you for the rest of your sailing carreer. It does not take long to get the feel so in a summer one can start with dingies and move to keel boats and finish up with basic cruising/anchoring before the snow flies.

#7 ·
Getting Started

I think 22-24-foot keel boats are the way to start. They are stable and forgiving, and have all the basic systems you will find on larger boats. They are responsive but will not put you in peril, as a dinghy might, if you screw up or are not quick enought to react to any given situation.

Some sailing schools will allow you to charter for day sails the boats they use for instruction. Also, I would recommend that you and your wife take your lessons separately. I think schools usually break up couples anyway.

#9 ·
Jim

I learned as a dinghy sailor in the early 60's, moved to small K Boats in the mid 60's and became a tall ship foretopman in the late 60's. The 70's brought marriage, life changes, and no more sailing.

Eight years ago, my wife announced that she was going to learn to sail. She had already researched dinghy classes and was set to go. Sounded good to me - this was the way I learned. She hated dinghy sailing. So we did some thinking - what kind of sailing did she want to do? Her vision was gunkholing, beautiful sunsets in a quiet anchorage, etc. Together, we enrolled in an ASA 101 course aboard a San Juan 34. She loved it. We club rented and chartered for a year, then bought a Jeanneau 34 which we cruise all summer (teachers on summer break). Life is good. Active (read as wet) sailing isn't for everyone - pick learning that fits your plans.

Don

#10 ·
Great link.
I too am in the same situation here in Portland as well. Both my wife and I began with the PSU Sail Club several years ago primarily with the dinghys (Vanguards).
We are signed up for the Basic ASA course via Island Sailing in 1.5 weeks hoping to get her "hooked" on a relatively fast keelboat (thinking of a 21-27 foot trailerable in about 6 months).
Does anyone here have any other suggestions/resources for those of us souls who have the bug here in the Portland area?

#11 ·
My wife and I are also taking basic keelboat lessons. Our major decision was whether to learn on one of the inland lakes or delta, or make the 2 hr. trip to San Francisco bay. Since our ultimate goal is cruising, we thought it best to learn on more challenging waterways. From everything I've heard and read, S.F. bay is quite the challenge.
The club we joined has unlimited sailing for one monthly fee and their boats range from a catalina 22 to a beneteau 42 and everything in between. We plan on being proficient on every boat in their fleet.
The idea of going from landlubber to world cruiser in 9 years is a crazy/exciting (insane?) idea, but on june 24th. as we step onto our first sailboat the journey begins.

Steve and Rochelle

#12 ·
Learning on a keelboat

I got the sailing "bug" over 25 yrs. ago in Puget Sound after watching the Laser crowd sail near Alki Beach in West Seattle. I have never outgrown that "bug" & am very happy I learned the basics on a simple Laser on Lake Washington. Next
year I was able to move up into a 24 ft. Laguna. I sailed nearly every week on
the Puget Sound. The Laser taught me the basics plus I took another sailor with me to show me how much enjoyment & knowledge you can learn on a simple 14 ft. centerboard.
The Laguna 24 swing keel model gave me the knowledge of larger sailboat handling and I could weekend in the San Juans if I preferred. You will learn something new each & every time you sail. The best thing you will learn is that Mother Nature doesn't stand still for anyone. She is ALWAYS in command. You are only taken for a ride. Each sail is different and enjoyable IF you learn something from it.

Good sailing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.