Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2014

mollica713 is on a distinguished road
New to sailing

Hey All

I'm new to sailing and this forum. Looking at purchasing a sail boat to learn on. I have a good amount of experience on the water but non with sailboats. I've always wanted to learn how to sail. I been casually reading up on sailing and checking craigslist for boats. I think I might have found one.

1971 O'DAY 17' SAILBOAT DAYSAILER (it won't let me post the link to the Columbus, OH craigslist)

Not sure if this is a good boat for beginners or not. Anyways any advice would be appreciated. I looking at just sailing on some of the small lakes around Ohio, nothing major or too exciting...yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2014

mollica713 is on a distinguished road
Re: New to sailing

columbus.craigslist (Not part of link but it won't let me post it otherwise)

.org/boa/4586551701.html
Old 08-10-2014
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to sailnet, I'm assuming this is the boat you're looking at:

ODAY DAYSAILER

This would be a good little boat to learn on, easy to trailer, rig solo on.

Here's another link on them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pdmEyUoztetxkw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 08-11-2014
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

warning, you might end up sleepless planning docking procedures, thinking about provisions, trying to improve your tacks, your gybes. you will likely start talking about lines, wind shifts and sail trim to people with glazed over eyes. your hands will callous and your skin darken. when people talk to you about life shore you may go sailing in your mind, only to realize they just asked you something. you will possibly start watching at tree branches waving, flags flying and smoke drifting across in a manner that is bordering on the obsessive. it is likely you will look at metal products bought in home depot and think "this is inferior metal".

on the other hand....

that boat looks like a good start to me and possibly an end, if you feel you need the outboard have a hard look at it replacements don't seem to be cheap though with a boat that size a smaller electric troller might work for you just fine(tm). Nice to see an active class: DaySailer.org - Day Sailer Association that means you'll have people to question about issues and look for to get information on how to get the most out of the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-11-2014

jwing is on a distinguished road

YES! You won't find a better beginner boat than the Daysailer, although there are many that are just as good.

BEWARE! That particular boat is over 30 years old. The ad says it was posted 26 days ago - around my neck of the woods that would be a red flag. I'm assuming you don't know much about inspecting boats; I chose to read a couple of books on making boat inspections before I bought a sailboat. If you feel confident, ask the owner to take you out sailing in the boat before you buy it. Have cash in your pocket. If the boat sails well and it's comfortable for you, close the deal and pay for the boat after you get ashore.

Last edited by jwing; 08-11-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-11-2014
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

As jwing mentions there are books to help you look at old sailboats - I'd recommend "inspecting the aging sailboat" by Don Casey. I haven't bought a small boat and there may be more appropriate reading for you but this book will have a bunch of things to look for in the gelcoat, woodwork, sail condition etc that will hold true for you.

I'd go for a sail with the owner, and take your friend who knows most about sailing with you.

Old 08-11-2014

PeterJYC is on a distinguished road

I went to college right around there! I learned to sail on Alum Creek just south of 36. PERFECT learning spot. Use the north section of water as there are fewer powerboats.
Old 08-11-2014

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Great boat! When my wife and I were first married, we had an old Sailstar Explorer (very similar to the O'Day) on Narragansett Bay. Dollar for dollar, probably the most fun we've had in a boat.

If you plan to trailer the boat, make sure the mast is hinged above the deck to facilitate stepping the mast. Otherwise, it is quite a chore. (Of course, you can always have a yard cut the mast and add a hinge. That's what we did.)

I second the idea of getting someone experienced to look the boat over for you.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 08-11-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Sailnet!

Great boat! I grew up on such a boat, lake and ocean! Okay, so my old man was a little out there. But I have many fond memories, and when I think about some of them it scares the living sh** out of me and wonder how we survived. I was too young to know any better and had complete faith in the old man.
Old 08-14-2014

ultraclyde is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
warning, you might end up sleepless planning docking procedures, thinking about provisions, trying to improve your tacks, your gybes. you will likely start talking about lines, wind shifts and sail trim to people with glazed over eyes. your hands will callous and your skin darken. when people talk to you about life shore you may go sailing in your mind, only to realize they just asked you something. you will possibly start watching at tree branches waving, flags flying and smoke drifting across in a manner that is bordering on the obsessive. it is likely you will look at metal products bought in home depot and think "this is inferior metal".
Oh thank God, I thought it was just me!

I just bought a learner boat and I'm already showing the symptoms above. Good to know it's normal.

I have no experience with the Boat in question, but it was on my list to look for while shopping as it came highly recommended. GL!
theonecalledtom likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.