Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
RagtimeDon seems bent on a mission of reviving many dead threads..
Is he a repeat offender?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup... check his recent posts...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-31-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I got all excited to see the size 15 mention though... I'd pay good money to find a size 15 sea boot! Sebago, Gill, Henri-Lloyd, Dubarry, Ronstan, Sperry, no size 15.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 07-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt-

I've got the opposite problem... size 6.5 feet... most don't start making shoes until size 7 or 8.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-31-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Labatt-

I've got the opposite problem... size 6.5 feet... most don't start making shoes until size 7 or 8.
you could try womens sizes.........flame on
Old 07-31-2007
Telstar 28

I usually go for European manufacturers, since they generally start a bit smaller than the US does.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-01-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Boating shoes are a mystical thing.

Folks are content to see white soles because they know white won't mark (well, it may mark but on a typical white deck that's invisible) but at the same time, black Vibram hiking boots won't mark either. The problem is, they scare the heck out of the owner who doesn't know Vibram isn't just black rubber. And I've also seen 'street dirt' mark decks, even with white soles.

You'll find many gym coaches say "no street shoes" for the same reason, they don't want schumtz tracked in on the gym shoes.

In a sailing school, do the best you can. Once you get past the question of non-marking, there's the more difficult question of traction. Classic Topsiders, etc. are useless on a wet deck while some sea boots with "octopus" pods on the bottom are great--but wear quickly and pick up gravel off the boat.

You do the best you can. If it is nice and warm, "AquaSox" or similar white-soled flimsies work very nicely. Cheap, good grip, no marks. Black neoprene divers' booties also work well in colder weather but neither has any foot support. Good deck shoes? Priceless. if you find something you like, but two extra par and stach them away, they'll be off the market next year.
Old 08-01-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I can't figure out why they don't make children's deck shoes, or gloves, or, well anything. It's annoying.

Consider going barefoot, it's fun.
Old 08-01-2007
Telstar 28

Broken toes are no fun... Lots of stuff on deck on a sailboat to stub/break your toes against. Also, dropping winch handles is less painful if you have shoes on.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-01-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki View Post
I can't figure out why they don't make children's deck shoes, or gloves, or, well anything. It's annoying.

Consider going barefoot, it's fun.
Sperry actually makes kids boat shoes, and both Gill and West Marine make XXS gloves that fit my 5 year old (although she's kind of big).

I agree on the barefoot comment, except with Teak decks under a hot sun.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.