Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006

djtopper is on a distinguished road
Learning to sail in central VA (USA)?

It drives me crazy every summer living 3+ hours from the beach. I want desperately to learn to sail (properly) and own a boat someday soon. Ironically, the beach I am closest to is also home of the US Naval Base (Norfolk) so I'd imagine there are some knowledgeable folks out there. ;-)

But I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had some tips on how I might go about learning to sail (I know the basics on things like a sunfish) larger boats like 30'ers.

Thanks,

DT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2006

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtopper
It drives me crazy every summer living 3+ hours from the beach. I want desperately to learn to sail (properly) and own a boat someday soon. Ironically, the beach I am closest to is also home of the US Naval Base (Norfolk) so I'd imagine there are some knowledgeable folks out there. ;-)

But I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had some tips on how I might go about learning to sail (I know the basics on things like a sunfish) larger boats like 30'ers.

Thanks,

DT
There are probably some places right there in Norfolk, but if not, there are several sailing schools in Deltaville just a ways up 17. Norton's Yacht Sales offers ASA classes on newer Hunters around 30' and The Virginia School of Sailing offers the same courses on a Tanzer 22. I recently took ASA101 with VSS and would probably give my business to Norton's next time.

Also, the Fishing Bay Yacht club has a space advertising opportunites to crew on weekend races so you might be able to get some sailingtime that way at no cost.

Good Luck and maybe we'll see you around Deltaville.

Bill and Jill Boggs
s/v Palmetto Moon
Stingray Point, VA
Old 06-09-2006
Captain S/V Nereus

Nereus39 is on a distinguished road
IMHO the best way to learn is to just do it with a small centerboard sloop (something like a Vanguard 420 comes to mind...) on any body of water bigger than 200 acres.
There are a number of opportunities for sailing instruction on the Chesapeake I would think but sounds like you are too far away to enjoy the environs.(?) How far are you from Lake Moomaw (just sou'west of Lexington)? Great "little" lake, some breezes though the mountains make 'em flukey.
Old 06-11-2006

pluscard is on a distinguished road
learning to sail in virginia

DT,

I'm learning also... I'm in South Hill, VA - we call this area "Southside VA".

I've been to annapolis a few times, but I mostly go to Kerr Lake which is on the NC/VA border. Steele Creek Marina which is on the NC side is home to over 400 sailboats of all types.

I purchased a J/24 to learn on - what was I thinking? (c; They're inexpensive, but they have as many controls as the big A-cup boats - so, I've been working on simplifying it a bit, as well as learning to rig and launch it.

You might see how far you are from either Kerr Lake or Annapolis and start by showing up at one place or the other.

Plus

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.