Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2014

sunandsea is on a distinguished road
Looking for a 104 Bareboat class partner(s)

I already have the 101 and 103 certs from both ASA and US Sail, plus a few summers of skippering J/24s and auxiliary powered cruisers up to 30' in the waters up to 12 miles off Boston. Most of the 104 programs I come across are a full week and geared to new sailors (instant cruiser etc). Would anyone like to go in on a standalone 2-3 day Bareboat Cruising course in Florida or the Caribbean this December? I have some vacation time to use and would like to take the money saved on not taking a full week course and put it into a few chartering days. Open for suggestions, want to build skills and keep this sailing season going...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a 104 Bareboat class partner(s)

I might seriously do that. I'm in south eastern NY. I have my own C22 and sailed for years and years but no certs.

We could talk about it. If it sounds feasible we could meet up for lunch someplace halfway between us, like Hartford.

creativereader@hotmail.com

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 10-31-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

My advice is to consider taking a full week 104 in the Virgin Islands with Black Rock Sailing School ASA Certified
You'll get the best instruction available...BRSS has been an "ASA Outstanding School" five years running.
Old 10-31-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

You could also attend a 3 day course at Narragansett Sailing School. They offer a 3 day 104 certification, and are located in RI... You'll have to wait 'till spring though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Lake Hack

Clarks Hill Windbag is on a distinguished road

I took the 103/104 combo in July '14. Great school, great instructor, nice boat. You are in the Bolivar Roads area, and get to dodge some impressive traffic.

Sailing School | South Coast Sailing Adventures
Old 3 Weeks Ago
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

We took courses from Pete Wodraska when he was at Blue Water in Lauderdale, but now he runs his own school in Panama City, with branch in Key Largo. Could not have been happier.

Reef Runner Sailing School in Panama City & Key Largo, FL
Old 2 Weeks Ago

J_Reid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
My advice is to consider taking a full week 104 in the Virgin Islands with Black Rock Sailing School ASA Certified
You'll get the best instruction available...BRSS has been an "ASA Outstanding School" five years running.
I'm really interested in this for 4 people as an alternative to a vacation/cruise. Does anybody do these courses for a cheaper price?

At $2500 per week x4 people +gratuity +flights it is getting a little "excessive" for a learning vacation.

There must be someone willing to do this for half that price.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Reid View Post
I'm really interested in this for 4 people as an alternative to a vacation/cruise. Does anybody do these courses for a cheaper price?

At $2500 per week x4 people +gratuity +flights it is getting a little "excessive" for a learning vacation.

There must be someone willing to do this for half that price.
Here is an alternative;
FIRST: figure out where you want to go to learn to sail
SECOND: decide when you want to go
THIRD: pick a boat that will comfortably hold you, your crew mates, and an instructor (this should range from ~$3K-~$8K [here are CYOA's rates http://www.cyoacharters.com/rates.asp] depending on the boat and time)
FOURTH: hire an ASA / US Sailing instructor directly for that week (here is a resource; American Sailing Association - Instructors Seeking Jobs)

You might save 15%. You will also be responsible for anything and everything that does not go according to plan.

Note that you will NOT get ASA / US Sailing certified, but you will get a sailing resume attested to by a certified instructor, and a reference.

By attending a school that offers lessons where you want to go, you avoid any of the potential headaches, you have "one throat to choke," and you will get the certification.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 2 Weeks Ago

J_Reid is on a distinguished road

I appreciate that you consider your time/skills/boat to be worth that much...I personally don't think it is worth $12-5k for one week of training to get 4 people to bareboat cruising level.

If there was someone doing this for half that cost I could guess they would be constantly busy, I wonder how busy these schools are that are charging $2500 pp per week...if they are fully booked, more power to them...if so I guess it isn't for me.

No wonder so many cruisers don't bother with training.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

I'm not offering you anything more than free advice. I am only trying to point you in the right direction.

Figure it this way; what do you make per week? The instructor's time and skill is certainly worth the same. In addition, realize that the instructor is with you and the boat for 24 hours of the time that you are with him/her, so the point could be made that on an hourly basis the instructor would be making 1/3 of your hourly rate. Now, add to that the cost of a bareboat charter for you, your party and the instructor.

Whether it is, or is not, worth it to you is up for you to decide. I suspect, however, that you may have trouble finding a charter, or have to buy additional insurance, without the certification or a sailing resume and reference.

Tags
class , training

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.