Sailing Qualification Guide - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 11-06-2014 Thread Starter

Sailing Qualification Guide

Hi, I'm a writer for The Boating Hub blog.

I'm constantly getting asked what qualifications and courses you need to learn to sail in various countries.

I was wondering if it was good idea to write a guide, explaining the qualifications needed to sail in each country worldwide.

It will take a lot of time, research and effort, but I'm hoping it will benefit budding sailors.

So, is it a good idea? Your opinion is appreciated

Lee.
elgatosunrise likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 11-06-2014
Aspiring Sailor

Re: Sailing Qualification Guide

As a beginning sailor, I would find this helpful. The various sailing/cruising wikis are poorly done.
BoatingHub likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raincoast For This Useful Post:
BoatingHub (11-06-2014)
post #3 of 43 Old 11-06-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks Raincoast, 100% yes so far
post #4 of 43 Old 11-06-2014

Thumbs down Re: Sailing Qualification Guide

I learned to sail as a little kid in a family of sailors. I don't get this courses and qualifications approach. I also spent one summer at a "sailing camp" and the first thing I was told to do was box the compass to 32 points. I guess that was a "qualification"?

Ecclesiastes 1:2
post #5 of 43 Old 11-06-2014 Thread Starter

Fair point WGEWald, 32 points, you've cracked it!

You can't sail in certain parts of the world without the right qualifications & licenses.. this guide would educate people on that.
post #6 of 43 Old 11-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatingHub View Post
You can't sail in certain parts of the world without the right qualifications & licenses.. this guide would educate people on that.
Are those requirements for charter, or for navigating in the waters of specific countries? What countries' customs officlals would demand proof of "the right qualifications" along with safety inspection? Looking forward to seeing your write-up.

http://www.theboatinghub.com/

Ecclesiastes 1:2
post #7 of 43 Old 11-06-2014

Was once sailing with a German friend here in N. FL and he asked me if I had a sailing license and if so what kind it was. I said, "Yup, I got a 12 gage license down in the cabin." He answered, "you Americans and laughed"
post #8 of 43 Old 11-07-2014

After visiting 25 countries under sail, I can tell you that there were/are O, None, Nada qualifications required for a foreign cruising boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #9 of 43 Old 11-07-2014
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)

It's a bit more complicated than having a single qualification standard for each country, given that,

Many countries have requirements for their own residents, but most often they honor the requirements of other countries for qualifying skippers from those other countries.

The specific waterways within a country can have different requirements ... for example, the CEVNI training for accessing inland waterways/canals in France, or the varying requirements in the USA for Coast Guard-controlled federal waterways vs. state regulations for many inland waterways. And, even though the US doesn't have any form of boating licensing, most US states have boating education requirements, but these states vary in who needs to meet them. Canada also has a boating ed requirement. Or Great Britain is interested in the qualifications of its residents depending upon how far offshore they go.

And then there are charter companies. And insurance companies, particularly where newer skippers are concerned, but also in terms of seasonal/geography/distance limits for some places. And the countries where the rules on the books have hugely varying amounts of leeway and traditions that deviate big time from the printed rules... until some official decides not to deviate them. Radio operation is also variable; US folks have fewer requirements in-country but have to meet more requirements when they go foreign (for example, not needing a license for VHF unless they go abroad). And, of course, non-recreational operation is a whole different subject.

So this guide would want a lot of subjects/columns... resident and non-resident licenses/education, locations, radio, level of enforcement, etc.

Last edited by rgscpat; 11-07-2014 at 02:14 AM.
post #10 of 43 Old 11-07-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback guys, think I'll get cracking on it. Will let you know when ready so you can harshly criticise it

Lee.

Tags
learn to sail , sailing courses , sailing qualifications

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.