Best learning experience? Best sailing class? Where to go from here? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Chat  
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2014

vtp is on a distinguished road
Best learning experience? Best sailing class? Where to go from here?

What are the best learning experiences or classes have been? Iím looking for ways to keep learning next season short of buying a boat and I was hoping for some ideas. Tell me about an invaluable class you took? Something that Iíve never even considered would be amazing!

If youíve gotten this far it would probably help to know about my sailing experience. I started learning dinghys 5 years ago and was seriously bitten by the bug. For the last 3 years Iíve had a sailing club membership on the Boston Harbor starting with weekends on sonar to this season with 294 hours (time underway, much more aboard) and 1385nm on a Cal 39 or similar boats (sailing club) from Newport to Boothbay Harbor. I could repeat that next season but the best I could do with that is review what Iíve already done. (I only got out during Gale warning once, I'm not banking on managing that again) Got my ASA Bareboat through a week aboard class, week long charters in (Croatia, BVI) and some week+ trips in New England. I took some a fair number of useless classes that Iíd rather forget. Been crewing on some PHRF race boats (mast and bow) to see how other skippers run things.

So, any suggestions for how to keep learning without getting bogged down with ownership just yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Best learning experience? Best sailing class? Where to go from here?

Because you are in the Boston area, I suggest that you look into the Pelagic Sailing Club, pelagicsailingclub.org | Dedicated to bringing together competent skippers and competent crew for their mutual sailing benefit in the Boston MA area!. Dues are still >$100, and they are always looking for crew and boat owners that they can bring together. [DISCLAIMER: I am a member. If you join, you may end up sailing with me]

If you are looking for structured sailing lessons, the Offshore Sailing School Offshore Sailing School ? The Best Sailing Lessons at America?s #1 Sailing Schools (over 8 locations) has great reviews.

I took lessons with the BHSC, and enjoyed the experience, but thought that the structure of the lessons could have been better. I also thought that the boats should have been better maintained.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 11-08-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

One big part of your education that you may be missing is an in-depth knowledge of boat systems and repair. This tend to be forced upon you when you own a boat. In your case you could start by taking a diesel repair class, or volunteering to help in some projects on others boats.
Old 11-08-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

What are you trying to acomplish? It sounds like you have a good base of knowledge, so moving to a one person dinghy would be one way to increase skill. Alternatively if you want to get into ocean racing, there is nothing like practice.
Old 11-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Because you are in the Boston area, I suggest that you look into the Pelagic Sailing Club, pelagicsailingclub.org | Dedicated to bringing together competent skippers and competent crew for their mutual sailing benefit in the Boston MA area!. Dues are still >$100, and they are always looking for crew and boat owners that they can bring together. [DISCLAIMER: I am a member. If you join, you may end up sailing with me]
I considered Pelagic before, at the time my dance card was full. I'll take another look this coming season. One of my favorite ways to learn is being on a boat with more experienced sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I took lessons with the BHSC, and enjoyed the experience, but thought that the structure of the lessons could have been better. I also thought that the boats should have been better maintained.
BHSC is where I had my membership the last two years. I agree regarding the lessons and the boats, though I did report many things that needed repair and they were always addressed (though I did spend a lot of time emailing their staff but with as many days as I spent aboard their boats it was definitely worth the time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
One big part of your education that you may be missing is an in-depth knowledge of boat systems and repair. This tend to be forced upon you when you own a boat. In your case you could start by taking a diesel repair class, or volunteering to help in some projects on others boats.
That's definitely missing. I volunteer to help with all the projects and have learned a fair bit but it's not nearly enough. It's about putting in the hours and I know owning a boat would force me to put in the hours. I'm just not sure I am ready to take that plunge next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
What are you trying to acomplish? It sounds like you have a good base of knowledge, so moving to a one person dinghy would be one way to increase skill. Alternatively if you want to get into ocean racing, there is nothing like practice.
I actually started in dinghys at CBI and I definitely agree they're the best way to drive home the fundamentals. I'd like to experience ocean racing but when it comes down to it I am not a racer.

I'd like to say that my goal is to take a few years off of work, go cruising and see how far I make it. When I am being honest with myself I acknowledge that the only thing stopping me is that I am not sure it's really what I want; it would be a huge change. If only I could take cruising for a 3 month test drive and see if it truly agrees with me.
Old 11-09-2014

jwing is on a distinguished road

I know two people who sailed with John Kretschmer. They don't know each other. They both rave about how good their experiences were:

John Kretschmer Sailing - Schedule of Training Passages, Expeditions and Workshops
The Following User Says Thank You to jwing For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
I know two people who sailed with John Kretschmer. They don't know each other. They both rave about how good their experiences were
Thanks, I've read some of his books but I didn't realize he does 1 month expeditions. I've emailed him for more information.
Old 11-11-2014

I also meant to ask if there are any classes people have taken or learning experiences people have had that they found valuable, even if they don't apply directly to my situation. I'm trying to get a sense general sense of the learning options that are out there as well as figure out my own next steps.

I've been reading a lot of the "Learn to Sail" posts but I thought I'd just ask as well
Old 11-11-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I took a week long sailing course from the Boy Scouts when I was 14 years old.

That taught me the basics of sailing. Everything else, I learned from owning sailboats. There are so many really cheap 20 -25 footers these days, many with trailers, that there is no excuse for not being able to own a sailboat if you want one.

And, if you hunt around long enough, you can find one for almost nothing. In 2005, I drove down our street and saw a Hobie 16 on a trailer, that was covered in tree sap with a for sale sign on it. It had two holes knocked in one of the pontoons and the lady, who only wanted $250 for it, said her son had abandoned it in her back yard 20 years before. I said, "I'll take it figuring I could get sails and running rigging for it somewhere for not too much."

I ran to the ATM and got $250. I paid her and as I was hooking it up to my truck, she came to me and said, "You'll have to go into my attic and brings the sails down yourself". A brand new set of of Tequila Sunrise main and jib, and all of the running rigging!

I got it home, and by the end of the weekend, I had power washed it, had patched the two holes with marine epoxy, and had it in the water sailing it.

Unfortunately, Katrina destroyed it six months later and no sign of it has been seen since.
skipr0000 likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 11-11-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Think beyond the hull, too. For me, one of the greatest things about sailing is that no matter how skilled you become there is always something more to learn. If you think you've reached the end of what you can learn, you aren't trying hard enough.

In preparation for our Next Boat we obtained our amateur radio licenses. We're now studying for our General Class license and plan to get the Extra Class. My 18 YO niece is also studying for her license as a way of being involved and (from my perspective) becoming a crew member with additional skills for when we bring the boat across. We've been studying along with another SN friend and it is a blast sharing experiences and helping each other.

As I was once told (and is posted in SN somewhere):

Seriously, there is very little you need to learn to get a ham license you shouldn't know anyway to be a self-sufficient cruiser.

For me, the Extra Class license is seriously pushing my mental envelop as math never came easily to me. I'm hoping that what I lack will be made up in the discipline I now have as an adult that I didn't have as a 16 YO. Plus, now I can clearly see a use for it.

And for where you are now in your boating life, knowing the basics of VHF radio and how to properly use it should be on your list anyway.

I'm also taking weather seminars and classes by professionals. Again, something new to learn beyond what is taught in a basic boating class or on The Weather Channel that can be applied not only to sailing itself, but to the radio and just everyday life. I keep a well-marked copy of Reeds Maritime Meteorology nearby as the same person above told me "Don't just read it, learn it."

Another SailNetter recently attended a 3-day course on dealing with medical emergencies at sea. Something similar might also be on my list for the future.

In the meantime, we're sailing This Boat, having fun applying what we learn and meeting new sailors along the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.