Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup, that's the story I was talking about... very sad...tragic...but unfortunately, it was totally avoidable...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"I can see why they'd need more employees, after this troupe didn't do their jobs. " Actually the article indicates they DID do their jobs, as they had been taught and to the standards that were applied.

Which sadly did not include carrying and using a safety knife or having masthead floats. It sounds very much like the usual world-wide standard of hiring young inexperienced help and looking after profits first and foremost.

The same practice which gives us freighters and cruise liners running with no bridge watch, and Princess lines claiming a junior officer had the bridge but didn't know how to turn the Crown Princess so recently.
Old 07-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most prudent sailors I know carry a knife, regardless of what they're sailing on, what the weather is like, or who is with them...

Sailboats have way too many ways to snare a person who doesn't have a knife handy to not carry one.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-31-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Don't you know, knives are so Politically Incorrect these days. Some years pre-9/11 I was taking the NYC subway down to South Street to hop a boat and stopped to wonder how the NYPD would react if they noticed my sheath knife. I suppose these days they'd lock down the entire city and call out the anti-terror teams.

But I don't recall that the sailing schools ever "teach" to carry a knife. I think what surprises people most is that I won't let mine be used for things like lunch. (Keeps the blade sharper that way.)
Old 07-31-2006
Telstar 28

Yes, but even as paranoid as the idiots in charge currently are, carrying a personal pocket knife is still legal on the street/in public, provided the blade is shorter than 2.5" or so. It would be a problem on an airplane, but if the TSA could stop the terrorists from getting aboard, then carrying a lighter or knife on the plane wouldn't be a problem.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-31-2006

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey fellas, this young bloke started out asking for advice. You gotta take into account he is a young fella and at that age lacks experience in certain fields.
Lets just give him advice that he can use and let him figure out what to do with it.
I have a son that age and it works for him.
As for his mate who is involved with Sunsail or whatever, let them work on that.
Don't crush him too early in life or he wont attempt to get those valuable life skills and experience.
Yeah..I know...I am a softie...