Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Question International Sailing Requirements

This is a new thread that I started after reading the thread at Sailing Qualification Guide

I raise the question: Is there value in independently producing information about sailing (in the instant case - International Sailing Requirements) rather than supporting existing sites (e.g. http://www.noonsite.com/ that already provide extensive information for cruisers?

I understand those that want to provide a commercial service going it alone. But what about the rest of us? Would not the information be more complete, better researched, and more current if supported by the boating community?

A final thought. IMHO no document can possibly keep up to date on any regulatory issue. There must be thousands of governmental organizations constantly writing and re-writing requirements. It seems to me that the only valid way to address such an issue is with a large index of links (don't even ask how you index the index so people can find the requirements for the specific location of interest - I would need to drink a lot of coffee before addressing that one...)

What do you think?

Fair winds and following seas

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: International Sailing Requirements

The Internet offers no friendship. If a site is put up and its irrelevant the tumbleweeds maybe invisible but stark.

A different, better, site could close Noonsite down in a year or two.

I back Noonsite.

I havent really read the Sailing Requirements thread because it doesnt interest me as sailing qualifications in each country have little or no need for disemination to people sailing in, or people in other countries.

Why do I need to know the qualifications needed in the next country? I am not bound by them, I am a visitor, I just need international or my home country qualifications.

Mark

Old 12-03-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

It's easier for a site such as Noonsite to quickly update information. A book is out of date quickly and harder to get the updated information to readers. Even an ebook compared to a continually updated website.

A website or a forum such as SSCA or SailNet posting information provided by people out there who experience it first hand has more credibility to me than someone sitting in one country scouring the internet and sometimes interpreting the information incorrectly.

Also more helpful was having several mentors who could guide me. People I've met face to face and who became trusted friends. They are usually my first stop for information and to verify information that I read somewhere.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-03-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Why do I need to know the qualifications needed in the next country? I am not bound by them, I am a visitor, I just need international or my home country qualifications.
Mostly but not always. For example for a while New Zealand imposed readiness requirements on everyone before allowing them to leave. Ultimately those requirements were dropped for nationals of other countries, but for quite some time things were awkward and expensive for a lot of cruisers.

Noonsite, SSCA, and the regional cruiser's net did a pretty good job of keeping folks informed but there were still some surprises.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-03-2014

BoatingHub is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for all your comments.. I understand what you mean by keeping the regulations up to date, but we do plan to do this and update the ebook regularly.

The idea of the book is that a reader would only need the sections relevant to them, which can be easily found in the table of contents.

It's our first ever attempt at an ebook, I don't think we've done too badly

In case you missed it; How to Learn to Sail: A Beginners Guide to Sailing Course Qualifications, Regulations & Licenses

All the best, Lee

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.