I got a sailboat for my birthday. - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of Old 12-28-2014 Thread Starter

I got a sailboat for my birthday.

I had mentioned several times over the past few years that I would love to learn to sail. Tonight for my birthday my wife gave me this:

Edit: I tried to post a picture but I need 10 posts first.

It is a 16 foot Rebel built in 1981 and....well that's about all I know about it .

She also bought me lessons this summer on a local lake. I will be required to start on their provided boats and then at some point I will be allow to bring mine and use it to continue the lessons on mine.

1: My wife is awesome.

2: What can you tell me about out? Good boat to learn on? Bad boat to learn on? What equipment do I need that it does not already have?

3: We live on a lake, I own and use a 24 foot pontoon and a 16 foot glastron with an 88 HP outboard. So not stranger to boats but I know nothing about sailing boats.

She bought me a few sailing for dummies books to read while I wait for the weather to change and the lessons to start but, I would be grateful for any additional information you could point me to about learning the basics or about the boat she purchased me. I think it's awesome of course but it has a metric ton of rope threaded through all manner of pulley's and guides and I have no idea what any of it does.

If it was 80 degrees outside right now I still could not raise the mast or the sail if my life depended on it.

Last edited by Gadenn; 12-28-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Gadenn For This Useful Post:
SailRedemption (12-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-28-2014

Re: I got a sailboat for my birthday.

That's great!

I don't know much about your specific boat, but I've sailed similar boats. They're a lot of fun and you can expect to learn rapidly.

Don't worry too much about not knowing much when you start. You'll figure out the important stuff fast enough and, once you're comfortable with the boat, you can go out on your own and try out some of the more complex stuff that is covered in your book. Have fun!
post #3 of Old 12-28-2014
I break <-> I fix

I know nothing of the boat, but a quick google search...
50 YEARS OF REBEL SAILBOAT HISTORY

Looks like a heavy-ish centerboard boat for a 16 footer. But given that its a centerboarder weight distribution will be essential to keep you from swimming.

I'd recommend learning on a keelboat first then trying the centerboard as well. Other option is to learn on a very light wind day...

What else will you need?
Life jackets for everyone (properly sized for each person).
1 tossable cushion
I'd recommend a boat hook (floating) or with clips for the boat.

Sailing gloves if you otherwise have girly hands (like me I punch keys for a living).

An oar.

A motor would be a huge bonus (that sized boat you can get away with a battery and a trolling motor, no fuel to deal with).

Check all the lines to make sure they are not frayed or split or ragged out...
Same with all the wires (stays).
Check the centerboard lifting line/mechanism to make sure it works (not sure how easy that is to do on the trailer).

Now the trailer stuff...
Check tires for pressure.
Check tires for dry rot
raise each wheel up, spin it, make sure the wheel spins freely, and doesn't sound like marbles in a metal coffee can... if it does, it's probably time for bearings, or at least an adjustment and repacking.
Check lights on the trailer.
Check the winch, make sure the line/wire is in good shape and the winch works well.

I think that's a basic list.

"Rum Line" an S2 7.9 - cheap, fast, trailerable, and paid for.
post #4 of Old 12-28-2014

Dock

Welcome to sailnet, sailing and your first big sailing emotional feeling of...wanting for spring! 82 days to spring and counting.

A 16' boat on a lake is a great place to start. I grew up on a 18' O'day on a lake. Many fond memories.

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA
post #5 of Old 12-28-2014

welcome to sailing.
Hang on to your wife- any woman willing to buy you a boat is a keeper.
This isn't rocket science. Dinghy (small centerboard boats) sailing fundamentals boil down to
1. pull the big white flappy things in until they stop flapping.
2. Sit on the high side
3. when the high side gets too high or the crew starts screaming, let the flappy things out until the screaming stops.
4. push or pull the tiller in the opposite direction you want the boat to go.
5. Duck everytime you do too much of 4.

The rest is just the nuances you spend the rest of your life learning.

Perversely, while most keeboat sailors are self-taught, more or less successfully, I find it easier and more beneficial to learn dinghy sailing through a sailing school, because dinghy sailing can have a much much steeper learning curve, with an additional wrinkle- the damn near certainty of capsizing. A sailing school will teach you how to sail, but more importantly, teach you how to recover from a capsize. if there are no sailing schools in your area, spend this winter reading the chapters on capsizing repeatedly. Then, pick a quiet low wind day, raise your sails, and dump your boat on purpose, and get it back up. Then go out and repeat steps 1-5 repeatedly with a grin on your face.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of Old 12-28-2014
69' Coronado 25

I checked out the website and sailboat data and I think that it is an excellent starter sailboat. After one season on it you'll be ready for a keel boat, maybe a Catalina/Capri 22...
SHNOOL likes this.

"There are those that stand at the shore looking to the sea, wondering, and there are those standing at the helm looking back at shore, knowing." - Kurt Leisenfelder

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of Old 12-28-2014
Catalina 400 MKII

Great boat. You can enjoy it for years. The lessons are a great idea. The wife is even better!! Happy birthday. (Wow, what's next year??)
post #8 of Old 12-28-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

The boats goes in the direction the back of the rudder is pointed. If you want to go left, put the back of the rudder to the left. (I find that way of describing it works well. There are no opposites to think of. Put the back of the rudder there and you'll go there.)

Keep it fun. Make sure your wife is enjoying herself.

Regards,
Brad
bljones likes this.

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 12-29-2014 at 05:23 PM.
post #9 of Old 12-28-2014
Barquito

The sailing lessons will get you started in being able to sail the boat. You will be on your own for learning to OWN a boat. There is a lot to learn about maintenance and repair of even a small boat. Enjoy the ride!
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Bristol 27
Cirque
post #10 of Old 12-28-2014
Tartan 27' owner

Some rather good news is that Nichols Boat works is still in business so you may even be able to get replacement parts for your boat from them. Nichols is listed as one of the builders of the Rebel 16' in the link below.
REBEL 16 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

You are going to have a freaking great time with that boat! Congrats on the wife & the boat!

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.