Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006

noscreenname is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorourke
I have to get in on this one. I have a 1982 S2 8.0 (26') with a loose footed main. I was told when reefing, "do not tie to the boom because it might rip the sail due to the consitrated stress on it". How do I know for sure?
I've never heard of that beeing a problem. My sail is loose footed and I tie to the boom and have done so for quite awhile. If your worried about it attach a block to the loop so that the line runs up from the loop, through the reef point, back down to the pully and back to whatever sort of mechanism your using to reef. This is commonly done by adding a cheek block to the boom but my boom is carbon fiber and adding any hardware is a lengthy project.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you put a line through the reef points, and tighten it too much, the sail can tear at the grommet pretty easily, if the wind loads up the sail, as the reef points are very lightly reinforced. That's why you shouldn't tie the reef points to the boom...or only do so lightly. The reef points aren't designed to take a load from the sail, but to allow you to prevent the sail bunt from flogging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-16-2006

noscreenname is on a distinguished road
I might have misunderstood his question but I think he was referring to the practice of tying the reefing line to the boom, then up through the reef point at the clew, then aft to the end of the boom where it would, in my case, run internally and exit at the forward end near a winch. This pulls the foot of the sail down at a steep angle and I suppose could cause a problem eventually. As stated above I added a block to the loop at the boom so the force is straight down then aft.
I usually don't tie any reefing lines, used in gathering the sail, to the boom theirs no need for it.
Old 08-16-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by noscreenname
I might have misunderstood his question but I think he was referring to the practice of tying the reefing line to the boom, then up through the reef point at the clew, then aft to the end of the boom where it would, in my case, run internally and exit at the forward end near a winch. This pulls the foot of the sail down at a steep angle and I suppose could cause a problem eventually. As stated above I added a block to the loop at the boom so the force is straight down then aft.
I usually don't tie any reefing lines, used in gathering the sail, to the boom theirs no need for it.
Yup, sounds like you were confusing the reefing cringles at the clew and tack for the reefing points along the body of the sail.

The only time you really need sail ties through the reefing points IMHO is if you're sailing under a reef for a long period of time in high winds. This will help prevent chafe on the sails, as it reduces the flogging of the bunt of the sail, and makes things much quieter as a side effect. If you're just out daysailing, and you're going to be taking the sail down when you get in , in a couple of hour's time...it is generally not an issue.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-16-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog

The only time you really need sail ties through the reefing points IMHO is if you're sailing under a reef for a long period of time in high winds.
Sorry, SD, I've gotta get in on this one. When would you reef except in high winds?

Those little light reef points in the body of the sail are not reinforced to take the significant load of the wind, they're for - as you said - chafe, or to keep the bulk of the sail from hanging down blocking your view. Only tack and clew are built for that load (take a good look at how your main is reinforced -- you'll see multiple lines of stitching and layers of fabric at those 2 points, and very minor reinforcement if any in the body of the sail) Tie the sail only to itself, not to the boom, with these little grommets, or one fluky gust can start a nice tear. You can be lucky and go for a long time without a problem, but then again, what's the downside or additional cost of doing it the safer way?

(We can afford to be smug, we've got lazy jacks to hold the bulk of our sail so the whole thing is moot for us.)
Old 08-18-2006
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka
Sorry, SD, I've gotta get in on this one. When would you reef except in high winds?

Those little light reef points in the body of the sail are not reinforced to take the significant load of the wind, they're for - as you said - chafe, or to keep the bulk of the sail from hanging down blocking your view. Only tack and clew are built for that load (take a good look at how your main is reinforced -- you'll see multiple lines of stitching and layers of fabric at those 2 points, and very minor reinforcement if any in the body of the sail) Tie the sail only to itself, not to the boom, with these little grommets, or one fluky gust can start a nice tear. You can be lucky and go for a long time without a problem, but then again, what's the downside or additional cost of doing it the safer way?

(We can afford to be smug, we've got lazy jacks to hold the bulk of our sail so the whole thing is moot for us.)
The point is if you're just reefing for long enough to get into a marina, a short time away, it may not make much sense to put lines through the sail's reefing points. If you're sailing in a large storm system for two days, then it would make a lot of sense to use the reefing points.

I've also seen boats using a reef to make the boat more liveable....For instance, a small first reef or flattening reef might be used to hold the boom higher than it would normally be...to clear the heads of tall crew members and make the boat safer to sail.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-18-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2009

bkafer is on a distinguished road
try this

All though this thread is 4 years old, I'm sure others will be reading this.

When I TIE my reef points to the boom, I actually use a velcro 2 sided strip.

It holds the sail in position but if a major gust comes up, the velcro lets go and the sail does not rip.

works for me.
Old 02-22-2009

higgins is on a distinguished road
Hi Bkafer,

You can be sure someone will BG.

To all:
I checked this thread to find an answer to this question:
My tack cringles have 2 rings, tied together with some sailcloth. (see pic).
I wonder how to correctly tie the reefing line or a reef hook to/into those ?
Just use one side ? Are they made for that load ?
tnx

I have a picture at flickr, but the system want allow me to post the link.

h t t p : / / f a r m 4 . s t a t i c . f l i c k r . c o m /3489/3300883963_8a0124c216_o.jpg
Old 02-22-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
higgins,
In some rigs, you put your reef hook over the ring, on either side. In other's you can attach a block to the ring and the reefing line then reeves through the block and down to a fairlead block at the boom. Harken's single line reefing system is set up like the latter.
Old 02-22-2009
Telstar 28

Higgins—

The one of the rings are supposed to go over the tack hook. It doesn't matter which one you use.... That will secure the reefing tack, and then use a line for the clew. They are designed for that purpose and should hold. BTW, if you're worried about whether it will hold, you can always tie a line through the reefing cringle around the gooseneck.

Here's your photo...

Telstar 28
New England