Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006

MaestroSeven is on a distinguished road
Frustrated Beginning Sailor

This is my first post to this board. So I would like to say hello to everyone out there. I have been lurking on here for a couple of weeks.

I live in Canada and have just completed my CYA courses, white sail I through to white sail III. I have been learning on a CL-14. Upon completion of my course the Yacht club gave me a membership to the club for the season and the use of the CL-14ís for the rest of the season as well.

I have been totally taken up with sailing. I absolutely love it and want to be on the water 24-7. My problem is this; I am becoming increasingly frustrated over finding people to go sailing with. I literally would like to be out on the water everyday, however finding people to do this with is extremely difficult. I have been told by my instructors that I could solo the CL-14 but to be honest with you I am nervous about doing this as I have been sailing since June and donít feel like I have the experience to do this.

I have been giving some serious thought to buying a Laser I. Do you guys think I could handle one with only 2 months of sailing experience?

Also I live in the London Ontario area and if anyone is reading this who lives in that area and would like crew for their boat please let me know.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Check around the yacht clubs on Lake Erie, you'll probably find some crewing opportunities there.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2006

Thomas67 is on a distinguished road
24 - 7

Ease up, you don't want to burn out before your first cruiser.
I'm out of Chicao and I have the same problem.
I can never find anyone to go sailing. If you would have asked me to get on someone else's boat I would have carried them to the dock.
I would say start out with just the head sail, and hit it. It really sounds like you know what youre doing. It's just the nerves of what can go wrong ( and there is a lot that can). I bet you'll be sigle handling before you read this.
Radio & Signal flares. & Tell loved ones where youre going.
All the best,
Thomas
Old 07-21-2006

Thanks for the support
Old 07-21-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Go it alone. Buy the laser. When you're on a boat alone you'll pay attention to the wind and the sails in a way you didn't before. Laser's are easy to sail and very very fun. THe best way to build your skills and your confidence is to get out there. If you take your basic safety gear then the worst that will probably happen will be your pride getting hurt if you do something stupid. But that's how you learn. You can always flag someone down for help. People on the water tend to look out for each other. My grandfather put me in his laser when I was five. I just figured it out myself. I'm sure you can handle it. Good luck and don't be affraid.
Old 07-21-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Lasers are great boats to learn to sail on, especially if you don't mind getting wet... the smaller dinghies like the Laser are very sensitive to weight shifts and sail trim, so you'll learn quite a bit about both of those, that would take you a good deal longer on a larger boat.

Also, try to find a yatch club or marina that will let you store the boat with them, so you can get the boat rigged more easily, and don't have to use a trailer to constantly trailer the boat around.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-21-2006
Scurvy Dog

skyl4rk is on a distinguished road
Get some single hand sail time in on a small lake. Just fooling around and having fun on the water is the best way to learn the basics.
Old 07-21-2006

RobF is on a distinguished road
I was the same way, anxious about going solo. So one morning I just did it. Sailed with main only and it was great. Make sure you go out on a light day both wind and boating traffic. Trust your training and you will do fine.
Old 07-22-2006

So I guess you could sail the CL-14 without the jib?

I never thought of it. You can cleat the jib. Which would be better not sailing with a jib or cleating the jib?
Old 07-22-2006

RobF is on a distinguished road
Sail with just the main that way you can concentrate on that and not worry about the jib. Maybe after sailing with the main for an hour you could try the jib. It's just a matter of getting that comfort level of sailing solo and then add the jib. You may find that sailing with just main sail does just fine and add the jib when you have sailing partner.