Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006

sailingforever is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailingforever Send a message via MSN to sailingforever
Post Backstays

How exactly do they work? I haven't ever been on a boat that uses them.
Why doesn't it stop the boom?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
A backstay is part of the standing rigging of a boat. You have a forestay, 2 to 3 shrouds on each side, and a backstay. These not only hold the mast upright, but in alignment as well. The boom doesn't go all the way back to the backstay.

That's the short story, I'm sure someone will add the long story.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Some boats don't have a backstay. Most marconi/bermudan rigged sloops and cutters do. It is the cable that goes from the top of the mast down to the back of the boat. On most boats with a backstay, there is either a hydraulic adjuster or a block-and-tackle to adjust the tension on the backstay, which helps control the sail shape. A few of the trimaran designs, like the Farrier-designed Corsairs do not have a backstay IIRC.

Most smaller keelboats, like J/24s, Solings, Sonars, etc. have a backstay. I don't know what you've sailed on, so I can't say whether what you've sailed on has one or not, and you've just not recognized it.

A lot of small dinghies do not have a backstay, and many don't have most of the standing rigging as the mast is often free-standing.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Your smaller, more old-fashioned sloops with booms that overhang the stern, won't have a backstay. They will, however, have sidestays that lead down to a couple of feet aft of the mast step. These will act like a backstay, and keep the mast from collapsing forward on a windy run.
Old 07-24-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Actually most "old-fashioned sloops with booms that overhang the stern" had running backstays (one on either side of the boom) which were eased and tensioned after each tack.

Jeff
Old 07-24-2006

sailingforever is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailingforever Send a message via MSN to sailingforever
if you visit this link http://flickr.com/photos/runningwind/192651140/
does this friendship sloop have a running backstay? Is that the line that goes across the sail towards the stern?
Old 07-24-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
That diagonal line appears to be part of the lazy-jacks or a topping lift. I am glad that I said "most" because the friendship sloops in the photos appear to be an exception. I am surprised at that since the Friendship sloop that I have sailed did have runners.

Jeff
Old 07-25-2006

SteveCox is on a distinguished road
Jeff,
I have a Mariner 32 ketch and the original rigging plan for the Mariners called for running backs on the mizzen. On mine, and most pictures that I can find of others there is a inner shroud (from the spreaders down) that goes to a chainplate 12" aft of the mizzen step. This seems to have taken the place of the running backstays and I have not heard of any problems with this setup.
Old 07-25-2006

pluscard is on a distinguished road
A J/24 is a fractional rig - that is the forestay doesn't reach the top of the mast, but rather connects about 3/4 of the way up. That means when you put on some backstay, the top of the mast bends backward, with the middle of the mast arching forward - tensioning the mainsail across the middle.

The flatter main is better for higher winds. Took me awhile to grasp the above concept - hope I've explained it plainly.

Mike
Old 07-25-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
[quote=Jeff_H]Actually most "old-fashioned sloops with booms that overhang the stern" had running backstays (one on either side of the boom) which were eased and tensioned after each tack.

Jeff[/quot

Okay, well maybe not *that* old-fashioned. Growing up in the late '50s, mid-60's, the Turnabouts, M'head Town Class, Herreshoff 12s, etc, whereon I cut my teeth, just had fixed "lowers", nary a running backstay in sight on most of the one-design classes I remember. The latter were a recipe for disaster if you forgot to tension one in time.

I'm just not old enough.