Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Any Lake Champlain sailors out there?

I've been sailing for many years but recently we got our own boat - a Precision 23. My wife had only been sailing a few times and the majority of my experience is serving as crew for races. I must say, owning a boat is much different than crewing on a boat.

We had a tough experience a few weeks back on central to northern Lake Champlain (west of Mallets Bay area) where we got hit by a microstorm of sorts - 40+ mph apparent winds plus 4-5 foot waves. We were motoring at the time (i.e. bare poles) and almost broached the boat getting her turned so we had a following sea. I won't go into more details as I've dissected the situation quite extensively with others and determined that we probably should have had the sails up and heaved to, but I would have been shot by the wife if I went forward to get a reef in the main. Next time I'll deal with getting shot and go with my gut.

Anyway... the wife is very nervous to go out now when the wind is blowing 15 mph+. I'd love to bring someone who is a better sailor than I (which doesn't take much) along for a day when the winds and waves are blowing a bit more (15+). I'll provide the food/beer/drinks/boat/dinner etc. They can feel free to bring along their significant other. I'll even pay the person for the day if interested. I can't singlehand when the wind starts blowing, and I'd like to show the wife how safe the boat is without her having to worry about actually sailing it. Based on prior experience, I know that if we can get out on a heavier day and show her success I can get her past her worries.

Any takers? Please?? Feel free to forward this request to others.

Thanks!

Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook