SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is a 32' Sailboat Over-sized for a Beginner?

23K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  Sublime 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I am looking into buying my first sailboat, and I plan to learn how to sail on it as well as live aboard it. I'll be sailing mostly in the Chesapeake Bay, on the East Coast of the US.

Now, I started looking first at the 22'-27' range, and found a great Catalina C-27 that I have already boarded and gotten a good look at. However, this also opened my eyes to some of the live-aboard issues such as headroom and lack of appliances (mini-fridge, stove, etc.). That said, I know I can manage living on a 27', but I am wondering if it would be better to go a few feet more for the extra living space.

I have been looking into a Hunter 31' and a Morgan 32', both of which have great kitchen space and a comfortable living area. Of course, I can imagine those 4'-5' more in length can make it a much more difficult sail for a beginner.

I definitely want to be able to sail and operate my boat solo, so what would your advice be? Should I tough it out on a 27' while I learn the craft for a year or so, or should I go ahead and try out something bigger?

Thanks for the help, guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you a complete beginner, or just haven't sailed the bigger stuff?

Ordinarily I'd encourage you to get some small-boat sailing in first, ie "learn the basics of driving in a smaller car before driving that truck or RV", but if your question is whether you should start out on the Cat-27 before getting the Morgan-32, I'd say you could as easily learn sailing on the one as the other.

Your wish to sail solo, however, might tip me toward the 27-footer, you'll run a shorter personal track meet trying to trim and ease those smaller sails by yourself. But please learn with a crew first? Sailing alone is one thing. Docking, undocking, mooring, anchoring, raising and dousing sail, and many other chores too, *alone*, is another thing.... ;-)

#10 · (Edited)
Good post by Nolatom .....

The smaller and lighter weight the boat - the faster and steeper the learning curve ... translation: you overcome the 'trepidations' and learning of sailing much quicker. Sailing like other sensory linked activities (skiing, playing musical instruments, flying aircraft, etc.) usually is gained by pursuing a sequence of 'plateaus'. The steeper the learning curve, the faster that learning curve will be ... especially in the pursuit of a personal goal.
Smaller boats are 'more reactive' and their lack of mass/weight, smaller sails, etc. will not hide operator errors due to the relative sluggishness and slower response that you would encounter with a 'bigger' boat.

Suggestion: buy that 32 footer for the convenience, interior space and amenities; but, also consider to buy a cheap (abandoned, etc.) sailing dinghy, sail it often, crash it and capsize it often, dont put much $$$ into it ..... as a 'beater'; apply what that small boat teaches you and apply what you learn to that larger boat. Time on the water, actually sailing, is what will get you to your next plateau. The small boat with its rapid and tender responses will get you there much faster and these 'plateaus' will become more obvious to you as you progress. When you know you've arrived at your goal (mastery of sailing, etc.), walk away from the small boat or give it to someone else .... I'll make the bet, that youll keep the small beater.

Most who start their sailing in small boats, usually always have a small boat to sail on, even if eventually they own a 'sailing monster'; smaller boats are simply more 'fun' and so much easier to sail ... the learning process never ends if you let it.

If you observe the population of just about any marina, those who started sailing in larger boats are inevitably the ones who never or rarely ever actually go sailing in their 'big' boats, ... especially when the wind 'pipes up'. The prevention of this is to (also) buy a small 'beater' and sail it as often you can.

;-)

#3 ·
It really depends on you and the particular boat, moreso than the length.

A 32' sailboat is not necessarily difficult to sail poorly. I've sailed plenty of boats from 35' to 55' without much sailing experience. I wasn't a good sailor, but I was safe and had a ton of fun. But when I bought my own boat, I got a 19'. Pure sailing pleasure is greater on the small boat and I'm quickly learning things that the big boats didn't teach me very well. I don't serve cocktails, but I have a cooler with beer cans. I can't live aboard, but I have a house to live in. I don't have a toilet or electricity, but I don't have to spend time maintaining systems and a big hull.

What's important to you?

#7 ·
32' is not too small. ESPECIALLY if you are going to live on it. Just make sure it has a reliable engine...learn to get in and out of your slip under power...then go out on mellow days and start learning to sail...first with your main, then add your head sail. Read a bunch and watch a lot of how to videos. It's not that hard. Just keep things under control by picking light wind days.

#8 ·
Bigger is better for everything but learning anything about sailing. Buy the biggest boat you can manage. But rent a small boat, a dinghy, to learn on. Some monohull dinghy about 14 feet with a headsail. Take lessons in it. Race it if you can.

That said, about 80% of the people out here cruising are really beginners as far as sailing experience. Rather stunning. But they are out here!

#9 ·
My first and only boat is a 40'. Got her new in 2003 after my 1st sailing lesson in 2001. Since then been up and down the USA east coast a couple of times, all the Carib, across the Atlantic and now year 3 in the Med. Just have patience and practice a bit. It will work.

#11 ·
I thoroughly reject any advice on how to learn that should apply to all. Some applies to most, but not all.

If you have aptitude for sailing, you'll pick it up quickly. If you don't, you won't. Do you know how many fighter pilots I know that have never flown a Cessna? In fact, one bought his first single engine prop, after leaving the military. You either show the aptitude to go to the jet quickly, or you wash out right at the front end. Simple.

Ironically, sailing a dinghy and a 32 ft keelboat are rather different. Show me two sailors that have only learned on one or the other, but never sailed anything else. I say the 32ft captain will have more confidence to sail the dinghy than the other way around. Sure, the dinghy responds more quickly and can be knocked over, but the dinghy sailor typically looks at the keelboat like it's a monster. When you first feel the power of propelling a big boat at hull speed, it's exhilarating. Needing to stop or turn quickly is too.

#12 · (Edited)
Oh, man, I am reluctant to disagree because our "mileage may vary" and you may be right as to some sailors, but...

I disagree. I've taught sailing (okay, part-time, but relatively steadily) for about four decades. the dinghy sailors, on average, pick up the knack of allowing for the slower momentum of larger boats, much better than the big-boat sailors do for the much quicker response of the dinghies.

Plus, I personally came out of dinghies. Neener, neener ;-)

#13 · (Edited)
Get the big boat, train on a sunfish.

Personal experience - sailed a sunfish for years then a 19 footer. Went partners on a H31 back in 2004. My partner had never sailed. I could sail rings around him from the first.

We split up two years later and he lost the boat in a fire. Now out on my own Cat 22 he takes the tiller and the boat staggers and slows and he looks puzzled. He hands me the tiller back and she is flying again. He can't hold the wind angle. He doesn't see the wind coming across the water, reacts too slow or never on the sheet.

My youngest ( 19 years old ) sailed the Sunfish a lot and for unknown reasons whenever he is on the tiller the boat flies. He is better than me but then again he learned to sail at age 6 in Narrgansett on a Sunfish. So maybe its a feel you develop. Or maybe a gift. I've got a little bit of the magic, he has more. Plus he is fearless.

My old partner, who went right to the 31 footer - very little talent.

BTW Navy pilots do start on Cessna's then go to Jet trainers. They are years in training. But the best pilots fly Cessna's in Alaska.

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
Krillsplash! If it makes ya' feel any better, I started with a 35 footer, 9 months ago. Never sailed before. Bought the boat and was scared to take her out. She looked like a battleship. I think now, in retrospect, I was unfamiliar with her. So, after I got tired of working on her at the marina for 5 months and was becoming disillusioned with the whole boat thing, I got the balls to go out. And I kept going out, 2-3 times a week. And now, it ain't no big deal, anymore. Heck, I'll go down to the marina just to see if she's still floating and say "Hey, I have nothing to do, I'm goin out." Throw the lines and git! Every time I go I learn something new. Was overpowered last week, couldn't figure it out, boat was struggling, heeling. Went home thought about it and figured I needed to reef the sails. So, this week we have jiffy reefing, at the mast. Go for it! I did! Good Luck! Kevin

#16 ·
Last spring I participated in a day long docking clinic. The instructors used 2 boats 32 and 34 ft. This was a lot of fun and hugely valuable learning opportunity. Close quarter manuverine was also a big element in one of the CYA courses I did. Recommended. Get some quality instruction time, and a trusted mentor.

:D best of luck

#19 · (Edited)
Incorrect.. the Airforce Academy has a fleet of non turbo aircraft such as Cessna 150's and Cirrus aircraft in their flight program.
Factsheets : Cadet Airmanship Programs

Many aeronautical schools that have ROTC programs begin air training on Cessna 172's before entering their military flight training;ie., Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.

#22 ·
The OP isn't considering a dinghy. He is comparing a Catalina 27 with a Morgan 32. There won't be much difference so no reason not to get the Morgan to live on.

I learned on a Soling at the Boston Harbor Sailing Club and sailed their Pearson 26's for a season. I then bought a Pearson 30. A year later I had a Pearson 424 ketch with hank on sails.

It's not that big a deal.

#23 ·
As a live-aboard, you are going to need the comfort and amenities that a bigger boat will have. Nothing will curb your enthusiasm like cramped and cluttered discomfort.
My recommendation would be for a long-keeled vessel with a tiller which after a short practice time and providing you are reefed and not carrying speed, you should be able to steer within less than six inches of anything. Also such vessels carry steerage way at 1/2 a knot.
I speak from experience. At aged 50 and unable to sail ; but being enamoured of the concept and aspiring to be a good 'Seaman ', I bought 'As is /where is' a 36' Robert Clark Bermudan Cutter which had no reverse. I had three lessons from someone I met on the hard. And then I and my equally inexperienced crew were out in the Gulf of St. Vincent, South Australia on our own. The boat itself taught me/us everything. Bermuda rigged, she could be set up to self-steer beautifully, the bow prescribing a lovely, relaxed, tight figure of eight one could watch endlessly.
With all excess speed washed off, her 10&1/2 tons could in favourable conditions be placed anywhere. After a year I could afford to have the reverse fixed.

The Surveyor had said, ' She's built like a tank. Just sail her '... So we did.

Yup. So my advice, for what it is worth, would be to try and find and fall in love with, a similar tank, or at least an armoured car ... And go for it !

#24 ·
Buy the 32 footer, crack the bow and come back here so everyone can tell you how expensive the repair will be (more than it's worth).... :D

Seriously the 27-32 footer should be no big issue but you may seek the advice of an experienced sailor to help you with the basics sailing it... shouldn't take long... just don't plan any ocean crossings yet... not to say many haven't done just that. :laugher :laugher :laugher

#26 ·
My husband and I learned on a Morgan 22ft and after four years of loving it and daysailing at every opportunity we bought a 31ft Pearson 31-2 to live aboard 6 mths each year and cruise Florida. The Morgan absolutely taught us to sail (after a weekend ASA101 sailing course to give us half an idea how to do it). We made lots of mistakes, got instant feedback and learned to sail her fast and efficiently in all kinds of different conditions. Stepping up to the 31ft with all the big boat systems and diesel engine (and associated repairs) was totally different. Sailing and docking her is a far more "structured" and planned. All lines come back to the cockpit to make it easier but having two of us to sail her makes it more enjoyable. Docking would be something that neither of us would want to do singlehanded, especially stern to like we normally dock, but on the 22ft is easy. The experience we had on the Morgan did however translate to the bigger boat and enabled us to sail her efficiently and fast in a variety of different conditions.

I don't think the difference between a 27ft and 32 foot for solo sailing would be that much if the boat is set up for single handing, so if you want to liveaboard then definitely go for the bigger boat, especially one with a decent beam for extra space.
As one other person commented: to learn by instant feedback will need a smaller boat. We liked the transition from our 22 keelboat to the 31ft but as also mentioned a lot of people keep their smaller boats because they are so fun to sail. We did that too and sail our small boat in freshwater up north in the summer.

It is probably impractical to get two boats. Many communities have modest cost sailing clubs with smaller boats to rent, sometimes keelboats in the 22 foot range which would be ideal. Take an ASA101 course or equivalent, mess around with their small boats for a season while living on yours and learning the systems and fixing what it needs. Through the club and living on your boat you will make friends to help you with the big boat when you start to take it out. Sailors are a pretty amiable lot and love to go sailing..................

#27 ·
Just one comment regarding living aboard, not learning to sail on either a 27 or 32 footer: a number of people will tell you to get the biggest boat you can afford. However, for ease of use, you might consider this paraphrase from the Simply Sailing Online website -- get the smallest boat on which you can fit comfortably.

#28 ·
If you're living on it, go with the larger. The difference between sailing a 27' and 32'-33' is about negligible but you'll appreciate the extra room while living on it. It's possible to live on a 27' boat. Hell, my father lived on my 26' boat he willed to me. Though I doubt it was that comfortable and that one was designed to be a bit of a dock queen.

As far as learning to sail, I think it's a good idea for every sailor to spend time on a dingy sailor. Things happen very fast on them. You get instant feed back and you can "feel" the boat which means you'll learn a lot. You also learn just how hard the boat is working. If you've over trimmed, your arms are tired. If the sails aren't balanced, your arms get tired. Rigging on bigger boats will get tired too.
Dingy sailors are both easier and harder to sail. Spend a season on a little used $500 dingy sailor and transitioning to the larger boat won't be a big deal. Then sell the dingy for about the same amount and you aren't out much. Get both, live on the bigger boat and get her ready for the sailing season while you sail the little dingy. When you're ready to take the bigger girl out, wander down to the local sailing club and bribe someone with beer or snacks to go out with you this first time and help you get to know the boat. You won't have to twist anyone's arm too hard to go sailing. You do the work and they just coach. If you can find a sailor who single hands a lot, you'll get lots of free tips on how to set your boat up better. Then start enjoying her.

I transitioned from my little minifish dingy sailor to single handing my 26' boat exactly as I outlined above. It was an easy transition.

Can you learn to sail on a bigger boat though? Yes. IMO there are better ways though.

Cruise the youtube for hints on how to dock single handed. There's lots of ways to do it, just have to figure out what works best for your setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.