SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

My Check list

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  JoCoSailor 
#1 · (Edited)
My Checklist

I created this list two years ago when I was selling a boat (for the new owner). I am am wondering if others have check lists for their dinghy

Checklists

Before leaving
Life jacket PFD
Sails
Rigging
Rudder
plug the boat
sun screen
check tire pressure (trailer)

Hitching the boat up.

Latch the coupler to the trailer
Wrap chain around car
Plug in the trailer lights
Check the straps to see that the boat is secure to the trailer.

If you haven't driven a trailer before... remember you need to make a bigger arch in making turns.

At the launch

I find it best to find a spot, if possible where you can park the car/boat where you have a straight back up

[Turn right to make boat go left]

Keep the strap on while you rig the boat (this creates some security)
Same with the connection at the bow (front) of the boat.

Probably good to put the plugs in now, just to make sure.

The reason why the ends of the stays (fasteners) are in a baggy is because when you tow the boat they have a tendency to come un screwed... I never had them come apart in the boat... but if they did you would need to do some searching...

Make sure the Fasteners (screws with wing nuts) are off, and in your pocket or the hands of your helper.

{The mast has some flex, that you can use to connect the stays - by leaning against the mast}

Connect the boom and make sure it isn't tangled up.

At this point you will want to pull up the keel, or snug it up as much as possible, so you won't get hung up on the trailer

Mast up, seat it.
Then fasten either the left or right, then do the other side.
Using the Halyard (rope that raises the sail) --- holding both ends ---- you can go to the bow of the boat. By pulling the halyard you can flex the mast to the front, give you some room to connect to the bow.

Check all the connections and screws. You want it tight, but not too tight.

Now disconnect the strap and make sure the bow line is out of the way, but easy to grab when you are in the water.
Mast up, plugs plugged, time to back up

You have to make some compromises with your ramp/boat/car. If the ramp is steep, you don't have to get the back of the car too far, before the boat will float off the trailer.

I found it better to not put the sails up until I was in the water.. I had the ability to pull over to a sandy area out of the way... you might have a dock of some sort.

This is as good a time as any to make sure you are ready to sail. if you are bring a phone.. is it in a dry bag? bailing bucket attached; Pdf on or in the boat;

Without the sails connected, you have one less thing to worry about when backing up.

The more you can float the boat -- the more you can get the keel off the frame.

In the water: disconnect the winch. Float the boat out of the way.

Move your trailer out of the way.

Rigging

There isn't a set order, but at the end I am going to list things that needed to be done

Take the jib line and make sure it is outside the side stays and through the blocks.

Until you are sailing, you want the sails to be loose
Run the MainSail up the mast. Until I was ready to go, I didn't cleat it to the end of the boom.

Run up the Jib sail, you can connect it to the Jib line at this time as well.

Attach the rudder to the stern and cotter pin it secure. If you are in shallow water the and keel

When you are ready to move, push out and panic... serious, don't panic, but you kind of have to get three things going at once. You can use the Jib to power the boat, but if you can keep the boat pointed into the wind. You can drop the keel and rudder so you can steer. And cleat the main in the back... if you get that done, then add the jib, it is easier..

Every thing is secure
Plugs in,
Rudder/tiller connected to the stern (and secured with the pin)
Rudderer dropped in the water
Keel dropped in the water
Sails up and the halyards out of the way.

Sailing

There are many things, but the main thing is to be ready to un-cleat the lines at any time.

Second is to make sure the lines are free to move, so when you un-cleat them

Coming in

You want to end facing the wind.

Un-cleat the sails.
Lift the keel, then the rudder

Once at the dock/beach, drop the sails... (Often when I am alone, I drop the sails when I am about 20 feet out and paddle in - less worries about stopping)
(You can worry about folding them neatly later when you lay them out on a lawn)

On to the trailer

This is a little easier.
Without the boat on the trailer I would get it close and lift it up and move it straight. (I found it harder to back up the trailer empty, just because it was harder to see which way it was going.)

You don't really need to have it that far into the water/ramp because with the winch you can crank it onto the boat. I find patience at this point the best... Getting the boat straight on the trailer keeps it secure.

Also, even if you didn't lift the keel it will drag over the trailer.

Once out in the launch area, put the strap on it so it will be secure when yo climb on it

Empty the boat, so when you hop in you aren't stumbling over anything.

Un-attach the fasteners. I found putting a bundgee along the bottom to keep the stays from flopping to be helpful. Seat the mast on the trailer and back up the end of the stays and wrap the stays to the mast. Secure it to the boat and trailer.

Unplug the plugs so any water that is in the boat will drain as you drive.

-----------------

In storing the... Doesn't hurt to store it with the bow higher than the stern to drain... even covered sometimes water gets in.

If you are leaving the trailer and worry about someone stealing it, you can lock it, but make sure the clamp is closed so they can't put it on a hitch

Probably better to un-cleat the keel, it would reduce the stress on the line that holds it up.
I found when the wind was a steady 12-15 mph to be the best sailing conditions. However for your son's sake, maybe your first time out 5-10 so you can easy into it... at 15+ and above it is pretty exciting.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
It's a good list.

If I may suggest a slight amendment: Under the "Coming In" section, you want to end on a close reach with sails luffing. This is known as the "Safety Position" and allows to resume sailing if necessary. If you point into the wind and come up short you end up in irons. Approaching on a close reach allows to luff, trim, luff, trim, etc. to control your speed up to the last second. Once you kiss the dock you can let the boat turn into the wind, lower sails, etc...

#7 ·
Thanks.. I guess I don't think of that because of where I sail... lots of mountains and trees. I don't have consistent wind for more than 50 feet.. I would be nervous doing that coming in, where I sail.. but you are right

I think it is more an okay list. The one thought I had was - "Whoa, that is a lot to go over each time I go out.

#13 ·
wow.. I worry about the trailer tires.. a Lot mostly because I don'thave a spare.. so that is a good one.

My thought about the list... taper it to your own use. As far as the tire, I don't know if you would need to check that every time.. but once a week or so would be good.

I added to the list, with your suggestion

The irony of a list.. the things you screwed up on.. you seldom forget :laugh

#14 · (Edited)
Good list, here are my additions:

Before leaving
Pack enough snacks & water for double your intended time on the water. Same with clothes.

Check truck fluids

Check trailer tire tread & inside/outside sidewalls (boat trailers often eat the inside tread of tires)

Hitching the boat up.
Check trailer signals

If you haven't driven a trailer before... remember you need to make a bigger arch in making turns.
and you need more room to stop with all that weight behind you, leave extra space at all times.

At the launch we have a 26ft trailerable, so some may not apply to a smaller boat

Find a place to stage the boat for launch, not on the ramp.

If the ramp is big enough to allow two launches at a time, make sure your stay on your side.

Put out fenders if dock does not have good rub rail.

Have dock lines ready to secure boat.

Raising the mast on the water is much safer than in a parking lot 10 ft off the ground. If we fall off in the water, we laugh, if we fall off in the parking lot, we may never walk again. (the view is also better on the water, we just motor to a calm area, then step the mast)

Never back up a large trailer sailor (big enough to block rear view) without a spotter.

Go slow when the boat and truck are gong over the top of the ramp, steep or slick ramps can quickly cause you to lose traction if you have too much momentum.

Have the truck window down, radio off for clear communications. Agree on hand signals.

If your sailing partner cannot back up a trailer, drive the boat down into the water but still on trailer, switch drivers, you get in the boat and direct your sailing partner to continue driving trailer the few more feet back to release boat from trailer, once you are floating, signal them to pull the truck forward and pull trailer just out of the water. They secure truck with parking brake, then they come to help you secure boat to dock. Once secure, you park the truck / trailer while they watch the boat. If other people are waiting to use the ramp, as long as you move with purpose, they will be fine, as you will likely launch faster that 90% of the idiots who decide to prep and load their boat sitting on the ramp.

When raising the mast stop before the stays go tight to make sure all the turnbuckles and wires do not have any kinks before fully raising.

Rigging

Tie figure eight knots at the end of your jib sheets to keep them from running out of the blocks.

Be extra careful not to lose grip on the end of sail halyards, you don't want to have to drop the mast to retrieve a halyard from the top of the mast.

Have sail ties ready to secure sails if you need to drop and secure quickly

Sailing

Teach everyone aboard to respect the boom and the damage it can cause to the human skull under load of wind.

Teach non-sailing guests what to do if you fall overboard, and have them talk you through the process at least twice, then do a surprise test a few minutes later. I make it fun, but I also tell them the story of the boat broker that took the non-sailing couple out on a test sail, he fell overboard and they just kept sailing, having no idea what to do. He never sold another boat and they never sailed again. Guests learn quick and take it serious.

Have an anchor ready (secured to rode & boat) at all times, it's your emergency brake.

Coming in

Prep fenders and dock lines

Secure sails, but make sure they are ready to be raised if engine fails. (no covers)

Approach docks slow, never go faster that you want to hit something.

On to the trailer

Check tire pressure again if a long drive, low pressure #1 reason for blow outs.

Check trailer signals again

Learn what the trailer looks like in the water for proper loading, so you can repeat in the future, this varies a bit due to ramp pitch.

#15 ·
Good list, here are my additions:

Before leaving
Pack enough snacks & water for double your intended time on the water. Same with clothes.

**** snip }}
Learn what the trailer looks like in the water for proper loading, so you can repeat in the future, this varies a bit due to ramp pitch.
these are all good, though I think I sad somewhere or am now, everyone's list is what works for them... though I think it is good to have one.

I never have to remind myself of snacks or drinks... Not just because I am nout out that long... but snacks and drinks are a given when I go anywhere... (I don't need to remind myself :captain: )

#16 ·
This is a nifty list. May I suggest something I consistently forget with a dinghy? Once you launch, cleat or secure the daggerboard.

As an aside, I find the beam on a Catalina 14.2 too wide to effectively paddle back in after dropping the mainsail on the way back to the dock.

I've tried all sorts of things to get in when solo because the dock is in a funny sort of spot - it is like a T at the bottom of a V - with the V with riprap along both sides...

#17 ·
This is a nifty list. May I suggest something I consistently forget with a dinghy? Once you launch, cleat or secure the daggerboard.

As an aside, I find the beam on a Catalina 14.2 too wide to effectively paddle back in after dropping the mainsail on the way back to the dock.

I've tried all sorts of things to get in when solo because the dock is in a funny sort of spot - it is like a T at the bottom of a V - with the V with riprap along both sides...
do what you like

I find when I paddle.. a little of the same problem as you.. but I compensate two ways

Padding on one side and using the rudder to steer in

sit on the bow and paddle from there

#20 ·
Only 0thing I'd add is dis-connect trailer light before backing in the water. Having them come on underwater is not good...

#22 ·
I don't have to back mine that far in to the water....If I did I have a quick tie on the trailer to tie that up....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.