New sailor going from Key West to Cancun: HELP! - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-08-2015 Thread Starter

New sailor going from Key West to Cancun: HELP!

Hey everybody! Thanks for checking out my post! I'm new to sailing, but am learning a lot as I go. I have a great instructor so that's good-- I'm going to go buy a Morgan 34 next week.

I want to sail early June to Cancun from key west, anybody know the best route to take? I don't know much about currents etc. so any advice would really help! ANY words of wisdom will do a lot of good for me so thank you!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-08-2015
Dragon Mod

Dock
Re: New sailor going from Key West to Cancun: HELP!

Welcome to SailNet.

Forget the best route. You're buying a new to you boat next week and making this trip next month?

You're sailing in hurricane season.

You're sailing a new to you boat with (I'm guessing from your post) little to no sailing experience.

You're sailing across a body of water with no easy place to bail out should a storm pop up and no experience sailing this new boat let alone in heavy to extreme weather.

I'm sure others can add to the list of why it's not a good idea. You will, of course, get a few who say just go for it.

If you ask and your instructor tells you this is a good idea, I'd fire him if I were you.
JimMcGee, kjango and Mr. Bubs like this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
post #3 of 23 Old 05-08-2015
El Chupa Nibre

^^ what she said.

And what's with all the Morgans lately?
post #4 of 23 Old 05-08-2015 Thread Starter

The boat is 67 Morgan. From what I have read it's a relatively easy sail if you catch the right window. Two and a half to three days. It's really that crazy to you? I have a ton of experience on water, but not with sails. I do appreciate your answers though!
post #5 of 23 Old 05-08-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

Morgans are great boats - especially the Out Island series. Of course, I'm a bit predudice.

Gary
post #6 of 23 Old 05-08-2015
Dragon Mod

Dock

The boat will probably be fine.
mr_f likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #7 of 23 Old 05-08-2015

Send a message via AIM to CLucas

For all the reasons already listed, I would suggest driving north to San Antonio, then Interstate 10 East to I75 South.

s/v Grey Goose
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
post #8 of 23 Old 05-08-2015

Driving a powerboat and sailing (solo?) on a crossing, even a small one, is not the same. At all. I hope this boat has a roller furling. If not, going forward on a pitching deck to change sails when the wind gusts up just freaking sucks. Meanwhile, no one is at the helm and you deviate from your course, and the sails are flapping all over the place. Does it have an autopilot? If not, (and if you're sailing solo), what do you plan to do when you have to sleep?

I agree with the others... this is not a good idea. And if this boat doesn't have a furling headsail, it might be too much boat for a new sailor to handle. Don't be offended. It's not meant as an insult. You should have no less than three reef points in your main. If you only have one or two (as a lot of older boats do that haven't been cruised in), don't go yet. And don't go for all the other reasons already mentioned. Especially the bit about hurricane season.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-08-2015
Dragon Mod

Dock

With all due respect, if you have a "ton of experience" on the water, you'd know the folly you're thinking of engaging in.

Are you singlehanding? There are a lot of oil rigs out there. How are your navigation skills? What navigation equipment will your new boat have and will you know how to use it in time? Does it have autopilot?

Again: Hurricanes and tropical storms. There's one forming already and it's not even the "official" start of hurricane season.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #10 of 23 Old 05-08-2015 Thread Starter

The boat does have a roller furling, and I'm going to install autopilot. I will be with two crew members to help out. THANK YOU for the responses! How fast do tropical storms spur up? I have a ton of experience on my 48 ft blackthunder powerboat, but I'm still learning the ocean, I just moved to Key West from Lake Ozarks, MO. This forum has already made me realize maybe I do not know what I'm in for if conditions are not ideal. I may just wait and get used to sailing this boat, and tightening up my skills during the beginning of June, just hopping Keys down here. This will also help my crew because they are more inexperienced than I am. It'll be up to me to teach them.
THANKS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.