SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Newbie seeking HELP

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  smurphny 
#1 ·
I'm a newbie sailboat owner and looking for a veteran to take me under their wing

#5 · (Edited)
Looks like a excellent starter boat . I say starter because it doesn't look like you can stand up in it . Our first boat was a O'Day 23 , great boat but no head room . But on the other hand a friend of mine has a Cal 2-29 and longs for his Columbia 26 with 4' head room and he is over 6' . Tell us your plans. Cruise , race , both ?
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=412

#7 ·
My plans are you use her as a starter boat I plan on retiring from the NAVY in a few years and way to sail to BVI and a few other places. I've taken a few ASA courses and upgrade to a bigger boat in the next 2-3 years since Its a little cramp for the family I have 4 girls.

#8 ·
#10 ·
Is your motor reliable? If not, I'd get that sorted out. Sailing is pretty easy until something goes wrong. Having a reliable motor gives you more options when bad things happen. Just keep the lines out of the propeller!

Start small and don't try too much too soon. Pick a nice day with 5-10mph wind and just raise the main. Once you get the hang of tacking and gybing with just the main, add the jib. Not sure what tacking and gybing means, watch some YouTube videos.

I'd get an app with charts for your phone (and a waterproof "phone bag") to keep you off the sand bars in the James and ideally have a handheld VHF for safety.

#12 ·
As concerns the girls, make sure they don't get scared or it may turn them off to sailing. Kids get bored fast as I'm sure you know, so find ways to make it fun. As mentioned already, pick really nice days at first and take it easy. As you and they get more confident, it will seem less intimidating. Safety first. Good PFDs, a good VHF,etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.