Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2001

elixir84 is on a distinguished road
Mooring

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for catching a mooring while singlehanding? I''ve had good success (knock teak) docking a 30 ft Jeanneau alone - I jump on the dock with bow and stern lines in hand which are then quickly secured to dock cleats - but can''t visualize (and haven''t tried) picking up a mooring without foredeck crew. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2001

dhartdallas is on a distinguished road
Mooring

Ahoy, elixer84. I single handed most of the time on my boat. I started out picking up the
ball by coasting up to it into the wind, tying off the tiller, then running forward and doing the foredeck thing. Later, I found a way that I liked better. I would run the bow line under the pulpit, outside the lifeline stanchions to where I was sitting in
the cockpit. Then I''d ghost up to it, reach over and snag it with with the hook and make fast. With a little practice it is a piece of cake. Regards. dhd
Old 08-29-2001

elixir84 is on a distinguished road
Mooring

The second method I can visualize except for one thing - to "make fast" do you attach your bow line to the ball with the boat hook or do you grab the mooring line attached to the ball with your boat hook? In other words, are you hooking your bow line to the mooring or are your tying the mooring line to your boat at the bow? If you''re attaching your bow line to the mooring, does your boat hook have some sort of clasp mechanism on it or is it a plain (non-mechanical) hook? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2001

dhartdallas is on a distinguished road
Mooring

Whether it is a dock, a tree, or a mooring ball, always tie your boat off with your lines. You will use the boat hook to snag the
ball. Then you will tie your bow line to it. The boat hook is just a reach and get it. Once you''ve got it, the boat hook is done. Regards. dhd
Old 08-30-2001

JEFryar is on a distinguished road
Mooring

I sail almost exclusively single handed and have found a rather easy way to pick up a mooring. This is what works for me especially in heavy wind ( last time it was 30+kts) and or current.
First I determine if the ball has a pennant. If it does or on my own mooring I approach the ball as usual but run up so that I can reach the pennant at the ball from the cockpit. I cleat it to the stern cleat as close to the ball as possible. This stops the boat and I now can take my time to walk the end of the pennant up to and cleat it off on the bow. I then go back and release the stern and the boat swings around. Home free.
If there is no pennant or I want to use my own line, I start with a line ceated first to the bow run outside and cleated to the stern with sufficient left over to secure it to the ball.When it stops the boat, uncleat the stern and let the boat swing and settle in.
One of the advantages to this approach is that you are no further than one boat length from the ball, a real advantage in a crowded anchorage.You also have stopped the boat quickly and it is stable, a real relief to anyone close by.
Old 11-07-2001

Bro is on a distinguished road
Mooring

I''m needing a head sail for my Pearson 27. I sail on a large inland lake. No racing, just crusing. How do I know what sail to buy for best performance.