Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006

jamiedouglas is on a distinguished road
Look at buying a 24' BAYLINER BUCCANEER

Hello I am bran new to sailing and i can pick this boat up at a good price. Does anyone have any info on it good and bad. Is it easy to learn on? And if there no keel is it hard to sail in rough water?

thanks any info would be great
Jamie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Here are a couple of web sites that might help.

http://groups.msn.com/BaylinerBuccaneerSloops

http://www.geocities.com/buccaneersailboats
Old 08-02-2006
OceanusSkipper

AlanPerry is on a distinguished road
buccaneer 24

I had a 24 ft Bayliner Buccaneer many many years ago, like 1979 I think. Anyway the boat is a slug, doesn't point well, and lacks storage and tankage...but it was a great starter boat that would go anywhere and carry and sleep a bunch of people. It is easy to sail and motor and was a lot of fun for me at the time.

It's high freeboard (area above the waterline) means that it is susceptable to winds on its beam when docking slowly and when coming about. but it's eccentricities are easily learned and mastered.

One of these guys should only be a few thousand dollars so a good starter.

Alan Perry
S/V Oceanus
Seattle, Wa
Old 08-02-2006

ShirKhan is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't recommend sailing anywhere out of sight of land in the old Buccaneers, but I have to confess I find something oddly fascinating about them, I don't know what it is. They look like little roly-poly Spanish galleons.

Seriously, if you're careful and pay close attention to any maintenance issues I think it might be a good coastal boat and island-hopper, but keep an eye on the weather. Buccaneer owners seem to acknowledge the model's shortcomings and still love them and enjoy sailing in them, so they must know something.

I personally think their later incarnation into US Yachts, they made far prettier boats (especially the US25), while still making roominess a priority. Don't know how they sail, but they look good, I wouldn't mind trying one out.
Old 08-02-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If you like Edsel Fords...you'll love Bucaneers! This is one seriously ugly boat that also isn't built well and doesn't sail well. If you can get one really cheap it is fine to learn on in protected waters but be prepared to put up with the laughter at the boat ramp!
Old 11-28-2009
GeorgeBettoney

GeorgeBettoney is on a distinguished road
How much do the Bayliner 24s weigh?

We bought a used Bayliner 24, sight unseen, relying on the official description of the weight online. Once it got here and we started replacing the trailer brakes, it appeared far heavier than advertised. Exactly how much do these weigh, and can we trailer it with a Chevy Trailblazer?
Old 11-28-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
Two weeks ago I meet a couple from up in Canada in Chesapeake city on the C@D canal in Md heading to the Bahamas on an ole 30 “ish Buccaneer. I kind of thought it was a cool looking boat. A bit tired looking but hey better to look tired from the water than to look at the water tired. I say buy it sail it until it can’t sail anymore. Have fun and enjoy it!
Old 12-01-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I sold a 24' buccaneer a few months ago after sailing it on and off for quite a number of years. sailed fine, not a raceboat, but then I don't race.
Easy to rig and manuver can be trailered and very simple systems make it a very inexpensive sailboat to own and maintain. extremely roomy w/ good headroom.
I now have a 32' center cockpit Bayliner Buccaneer and have enjoyed sailing it the last few years from tampa,fl. to Lake Ontario New York and back to Florida with family and pets aboard. The 32' is constructed a bit differently than the 24' and has an inboard engine and more complex systems (2 heads,shower,oven,stove,fridge,freezer,icemaker,wo odstove,TV,DVD,solar,aux. Generator, etc.).
Still not a raceboat (I still don't race) goes to windward suprisingly well considering it's shoal draft and high freeboard. I hardly ever "motor" as I enjoy sailing off anchor and such.
And the only Laughter I hear is that of enjoyment of the crew, and myself as well, when I think of the payments other sailors must make on expensive sailboats as I sail the same waters for a pitence of the cost and twice the pleasure !
Have fun.