SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Learning to sail on my boat

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  freelandken 
#1 ·
I would like to get ASA type sailing instructions, on my boat. The boat is in Key Largo. Anyone know of an instructor that may provide this service? The person doesn't have to be ASA certified, but thought it might help for insurance.
Comments, suggestions, welcome.
Thanks

#2 ·
You might try here:

Instructors Seeking Jobs - American Sailing Association

Or google one of the Miami-area ASA or USSA-affiliated sailing schools. Ask if you could get a "private charter" on your own boat with one of their instructors. Or, take a lesson at one of the schools and maybe you'll meet an instructor who can moonlight and give you lessons on your boat.

I'm not sure that the ASA certification of a privately-hired instructor will help you with insurance cost or discount, usually they want to see an ASA card, and the moonlighting or lone-wolf instructors can't do that, it has to be an "ASA facility" as understand it, to issue the card, not just a freelancing individual with a teaching cert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.