Whisker Pole rigging - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeB

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-18-2015 Thread Starter
Sailor

Whisker Pole rigging

I have a 25 C&C with a 130 genny and a topping lift for the pole. I just cant seem to get this set up right. I am attaching the pole to an eye on a track and to the sheet for the genny. I am new to using a pole and have watched a few you tube videos. I am looking for tips and tricks for using and rigging the pole. I have been trying it mostly in light air mostly because I am new to using it and don't want to do anything stupid or hazardous to my health.
thanks in advance
Jim

It's better to sail in a boat and think about God than to sit in a church and think about sailing
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-18-2015

Re: Whisker Pole rigging

Jim, a couple of pointers. You want to have the pole perpendicular to the mast and at clew height for your jib. I put a reference mark on the track. Pole length: Some people use the foot length for the pole length . I prefer using 90% of the LP of the sail. In your case, given a “J” of 11’ and a 130 genoa, I calculate a pole length of about 12’ 10”. If the pole has a habit of drooping, use your topping lift. If the pole is bouncing around in a swell or chop, you can steady it by looping the lazy sheet around a bow cleat and tightening it. Just remember to release it before gybing. And remember, going DDW even with a whisker pole is slow! To increase your speed, try sailing at 170 degrees AWA. If you have a wind fly, put the arrow over one of the tail tabs. Go out and try different combinations of sail trim. Every boat is a little different and you need to “dial in” the configuration that works best for you.
CVAT likes this.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-19-2015

You probably don't need the topping lift, try it without. Another thing to try is clipping the pole directly to the clew rather than on the sheet. Don't be afraid to experiment.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2015

Hey,

What problems are you having with the pole?

This is the first year i have been using a pole on my boat. The set up has been relatively easy:
Remove pole from chocks
Clip mast end to the ring mounted on the mast
connect topping lift to bridle
clip sail end of the pole to the sheet
tension topping lift so pole is at correct heigt
trip sheet

Jibing and the take down have caused some problems. Nothing serious, I'm still experimenting on the best way to get this done short handed.

On my boat, sailing wing on wing at about 160AWA seems to work best. In light air (under 5 kts) I need to sail higher, at 150 or so to keep the sails full. I haven't sailed in more than 10 kts so I can't comment on that.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2015

If things go wrong, I disown what I'm about to say but..

To get that clew WAY out there, and ONLY in light air, clip the pole onto the shrouds instead of the mast. You want a wide, flattish jib, not a scoopy wobbly one.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-19-2015

I'll echo what a previous post said, try it without the topping lift.

On my catalina 30, with a 150 gennie, I just clip the pole into the clew of the sail and to the mast. I've never needed a topping lift, foreguy, or afterguy. It works great, doesn't bounce around, and is dead soup simple. (i have to put it behind the front lower 'cause the sail is so big, so having a forguy to pull it forward is silly anyway)

Every boat/sail combination is different.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-19-2015 Thread Starter
Sailor

I am going to try a few things this weekend the pole has been sliding down the sheet so hooking to the clew makes a lot of sense. It should eliminate the need for the topping lift. Thanks for the replies I am new to the pole so I should improve with time

It's better to sail in a boat and think about God than to sit in a church and think about sailing
post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2015 Thread Starter
Sailor

http://www.ftp.tognews.com/Projects/...structions.pdf
This is a good article on whisker pole rigging.

I tried a few things this weekend and really like using a fore an after guys I like being able to roll up the genny with out touching the pole.

post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2015

I'm trying this next time I'm downwind sailing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.