Precision 165 good starter boat? - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By krisscross
  • 1 Post By Loki9
  • 1 Post By SHNOOL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-11-2015 Thread Starter

Precision 165 good starter boat?

I live on the southern tip of Lake Michigan and live just a few blocks from the Lake itself. I get up casually boating with my father in a Boston Whaler fishing boat and in college had a 17' ski boat but sold it when I got married. Living in a community that is all about the lakefront has gotten my family in the mood to boat. We are looking to casually daysail but have a small cabin to nap or read in or just get out of the sun.

Is the P-165 a stable enough to easily go out on Lake Michigan on nice days? Is it easy to handle mostly alone and easy to learn to sail on?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2015

Re: Precision 165 good starter boat?

I would think it would be a great boat for what you have in mind. In stronger winds you may want to reduce sail area early, as it carries a lot of sail for it's size.
PTriemstra likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 10 Old 09-11-2015 Thread Starter

I am in no rush around the lake either. Just casual sailing, maybe 9 miles to the next city for lunch and back. Just looking for safe time with my wife and 5 year old son, sun, relaxation and fresh air
post #4 of 10 Old 09-11-2015

I don't have any direct experience with the P-165. I owned both a Precision 15 and a Precision 18. I thought they were both well designed and well built boats. They sailed great and I had tons of fun with them.
PTriemstra likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-11-2015
Owner 4knot sb.

I always like the P165, cause it's a lot of boat for the size. Also the fractional rig means it'll sail even with ONLY the main up.

I've sadly NEVER sailed one (I skipped from 14 feet to 22 feet, and never the p165)... however, a club mate had one for a while and it looked to me to be both a decent sailing boat, yet very forgiving as the winds came up. It wasn't unusual to see him tooling around with just a full main up in 20 knot winds.

I also noted he was the only other person I saw out in 20-25 knots one weekday, with a reef in his main, and a partially unfurled jib. He was tooling along probably 5 knots drinking a coke and having a good time, so he didn't look the slightest bit concerned of the heavier air. We're an inland lake though, and while those winds are unusual, they also don't bring chop with it. The shorter waterline might be uncomfortable with a short steep chop. That's more an FYI than a real limitation, as it comes with the boat size.

I think it's remarkably dry compared to the P15, or the P185, probably on par with the P18 (keel centerboard model). The wing keel likely leads one to sail it flatter to keep it pointed upwind.

I think you could do a lot worse for a starter boat, and I've even recommended it to others as a good place to start as a family keelboat.
PTriemstra likes this.

***Boatless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
**** Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-11-2015

I sold Precisions for 12 years. Sailed every one of them. Still own 3 personally.

The P-165 is a daysailer (3 stay, light displacement, positive flotation). If you understand that, it is a great boat and you will have lots of fun with it. If you want to travel and overnight, get the keel/centerboard P-18 with 6 stays, lifelines, more ballast, and a better motion in rough water.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-11-2015 Thread Starter

a rare overnight at most. Mostly a beautiful day-off daysailer, Maybe 4-8 hours at a time, trailered a few blocks and launched on a protected launch. I'm 6'3" about 200 pounds, 35 years old, very small wife and 5 year old.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-11-2015

Setup on a P-165 is easier than an 18. Lighter mast, no stanchions/lifelines, less rigging smaller sails.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-11-2015 Thread Starter

should it be safe on Lake Michigan? Maybe flat up to maybe 12" to 18" waves? I doubt I'd want to go out on anything worse, I'd just go to a protected lake 10 miles south instead.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-11-2015

That will be fine. I think you will really enjoy the boat. Good luck!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.