SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

prop walk

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  astraeus 
#1 ·
coming from a single screw stern drive to a cat 34 with righthand prop i cant believe the lack of control when first going into reverse. would it be correct to assume its impossible to make the boat back to starboard when first going into reverse? what is the fastest way to make the boat back to starboard?

#3 ·
The best way to get a boat that has severe prop walk to back to the direction opposite the walk direction is to get the boat moving in reverse and then put the engine into neutral... that will eliminate the propwalk and allow you to move in reverse to starboard. Lower RPMs will reduce the amount of prop walk btw.

#4 ·
Be patient

One thing I see a lot is people putting the boat in reverse with the rudder already hard over in their intended direction. This just puts the brakes on and exaggerates the prop walk effect. Be patient, keep the rudder amidships until you have enough speed to steer.

The other thing you can do is turn the boat a little too far before reversing, so that when you are finally going backwards, you've "walked out" the extra angle and the boat is now pointing the way you want to go.

With a "new-to-you" boat it's really a good idea to go out and find some space in calm condition (maybe a floating log? or even your own fender as a reference point) and practice maneuvers so that when you need to look brilliant in close quarters you know how the boat behaves.

#5 ·
Aah, the joys of prop walk!

I agree with 'sailingdog' about putting the engine in neutral after getting some astern way on, and using lower revs. Works for me most times. In my boat I have difficulty in making the stern move to port when going astern. Having a full keel doesn't help me either, I think. In some conditions, she just will not respond and I have resorted to completing a reversing manoeuvre where I'm really only in partial control! At least I can stop if I need to by going forward. On occasions I have given a 'kick' forward to start the swing in the direction required, then slowly apply astern revs to complete the manoevre, but this can get tricky in a tight spot.

I also agree with 'faster' - find some place safe and practice - get to know your boat and it's behaviour.

My berth at the marina is port side to. With the astern prop walk kicking the stern to starboard, this means I have to approach very shallow and apply low revs astern early to stop so I minimise the prop walk taking the boat further away from the finger. A couple of times I've completely stuffed up the approach, so I reverse right out then start again!

Best advice is slow and easy - nothing worse than trying to 'power' yourself out of a situation, then find yourself in a no-win "I wish I hadn't 'ave done that" situation with a major damages bill to settle.

There was an excellent series of articles on prop walk in 'Practical Boat Owner', a UK magazine that I get here in Oz.

Good Luck!

#6 ·
I think the best way to get the stern to starboard is to put the helm hard to port and give the boat a short burst of Ahead. This will start the stern to starboard, then you can shift to reverse. If you do this carefully you won't make much forward progress - a line doubled around a port dock cleat or piling can provide some insurance until you are comfortable with the exercise. When you start backing just release the free end of the dock line and pull it aboard. This is the same manouver for getting off a portside, leeward dock.

#7 ·
One thing I see a lot is people putting the boat in reverse with the rudder already hard over in their intended direction. This just puts the brakes on and exaggerates the prop walk effect. Be patient, keep the rudder amidships until you have enough speed to steer.
This is very, very good advice. You should never turn the rudder until the boat is actually making way in reverse. If it isn't you'll end up turning the boat in the opposite direction you actually want it to go...making your job much more difficult.

#8 ·
I typically have slips I have to back into. First you have to allow for any set by the wind. Then, I find (as does Sailingfool above) you have to do your "steering" by way of a quick kick ahead with the rudder to port, to counteract the prop walk in reverse. Use reverse for initial propulsion, neutral for gliding, a kick ahead for steering, and your crew stationed strategically on deck to fend off or grab dock lines as you back in, they can make you look good even if you weren't.

#9 ·
One thing that a friend of mine has recently tried, which may or may not be an option for you is a RingProp. According to my friend, this prop eliminates much of the prop walk that is caused by a standard prop. Probably a bit more drag than a standard prop, but makes manuevering much easier according to hm.

#10 ·
I am just going to jump in with a thougth (for me at least) regarding prop walk:

I LOVE IT!!!

Once you get used to it, you will find that you use it all the time to get your boat in. I do. I don't want to go to another prop (esp folding) b/c many of them lose the prop walk (so I have been told). It does take practice and more planning on your part though.

You might just find you miss the prop walk after you get used to it. When you get into a crowded marina/anchorage, being able to walk the stern over (without help) can be a Godsend!! Just get used to it and its perculiarities, you will like it.

Just my thoughts. Others dissagree.

#11 ·
I'm with you there, Dad.... nothing like coming into the dock at an angle and reversing to a stop and pulling the boat around to lie perfectly parallel to the slip and stepping (not jumping) off to secure the lines. Of course that works best with a port tie (for us) but you can certainly make good use of the phenomenon.
However I think a prerequisite for this sentiment is having a boat that behaves well in reverse - and certainly not all boats do!

#12 ·
Whether you want prop walk on your boat has a lot to do with the specific boat. Many boats are all but unmanueverable in reverse due to prop/keel/propwalk issues. With some boats, the prop walk is very useful, and can contribute to the ability to safely maneuver in tight quarters. On other boats, it just contributes to making the boat a menace in tight quarters.

#14 ·
Thanks for the link...do you think you could use a bigger font for it though, I am having trouble reading it.

#15 ·
Nice link. I do like that part about, "Always dock into the wind..."

Don't know about you guys, but the wind is never blowing out of my slip!!! The tide is always coming in with the wind off the beam!! My suggestion (that actually works, but a little mean) is call the docmaster and tell him you need help getting in. You are a new boater. Does not work as well after the first few times, then you have to come up with:

1) My steerage is out.
2) My throttle is stuck in full speed.

or, if the wind is really bad and the tide is horrible...

3) MY WIFE IS DRIVING!!

The final suggestion will get most of the marina hopping!!

PS I really got in trouble for that one!! Don't you hate it when the wife is staring over your sholder?

#17 ·
pigslo said:
The only time I have trouble is when 5 people show up to help you and all want to yell commands from the dock when all I really need is to have one person hand me one line.
Ain't that the truth...

#18 ·
The ironic thing to me, is that we had the same problem with our 17ft bassboat when I was a kid. Opposite parameters. Small boat, biiiiiiiigg engine. You'd think you could sling that thing anywhere just with the throttle, but reverse to starboard? Forget it, unless one used the same technique mentioned here. Hard over with power, it'd back a straight line. Low-speed forward directional control wasn't too hot either, so we had to use the forward-neutral power pulses with steering to handle that.....guess that was considered trolling motor territory. Really it was a comp. for the early fast bassboats. It was knife-edged sharp at speed, but fairly wallowed at idle. Always a bit of a heart-pounder landing on a non-drive-on trailer with river current, soggy steering, maybe some wind (didn't take much with that lightweight), always a crowd.

#19 ·
Waitaminit! imiloa1? Captain Jack......Klang? Wasn't Capt. Klang a Klingon?!?!?

#20 ·
pigslo said:
The only time I have trouble is when 5 people show up to help you and all want to yell commands from the dock when all I really need is to have one person hand me one line.
I've always wondered if they show up to help, or to see a show:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.