Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Sawyers Sailing School

I am a newbie here so I hope its ok to plug Captain Bob's sailing school. I found it via a link on this site to the ASA website. I have been sailing for many years and am self taught. I have only sailed small boats and catamarans. I own a 13 foot Chrysler "Pirateer" sailboat. It has a main sail and jib. But I want to sail bigger boats and go on longer sails, so I decided to take a class.

I live in So. NH and found Sawyers Sailing School on the ASA website. It is located in a town just South of Brunswick, Maine. During the classes you sail in Casco Bay, which is a beautiful in-let with over three hundred islands.

Despite having sailed for many years, I took the basic keelboat sailing course, because there is a lot I didn't know. And also because this course is a prerequisite for more advanced courses.

The owner of the school, Captain Bob Sawyer, has over fifty years sailing experience. His is knowledgable, patient and clear in his explanations. I was the only one signed up for the course, so I got to do a lot of sailing. Anyone in the North East looking for a sailing school would do well by signing up as Sawyers.

It's too bad I have to wait until the spring to take the next course, "Basic Coastal Cruising."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2006

KAYAKDAN is on a distinguished road
Another ASA 101 graduate from Sawyers here. Bob was laid up with heart surgery,so a friend did the class. I have sailed,wife had not,so we both did ASA 101. Nothing like doing Basic Keelboat on an Island Packet 27!
Nice folks,good class,and the sailing in Casco/Harpswell is excellent. Later found out that my boat was moored 200ft from the class boat at Dolphin.
Old 11-18-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYAKDAN
Another ASA 101 graduate from Sawyers here. Bob was laid up with heart surgery,so a friend did the class. I have sailed,wife had not,so we both did ASA 101. Nothing like doing Basic Keelboat on an Island Packet 27!
Nice folks,good class,and the sailing in Casco/Harpswell is excellent. Later found out that my boat was moored 200ft from the class boat at Dolphin.

My LTGF (Long time girlfriend) plans on taking the course in the spring. She doesn't have sailing experience and I know how badly teaching a loved one anything can go. So I figure Cpt. Bob can do it. I am going to take some of the more advanced courses. Alas,,,,spring seems like a long way away and I can't wait.

And if you ever need a crew to sail with you on your boat let me know. You can pm me and I'll send you my email.
Old 11-29-2006

KAYAKDAN is on a distinguished road
Slayer,if you can't wait till Spring,maybe you could sign up for a Coastal Cruising course in the Carribbean!

Are you planning on getting a bigger boat any time soon? If so, you might want to check out NorthEast Trailer Sailors. Fun group and may be some crewing opportunities. Most NE-TS trips are overnight,so a bigger boat is more practical. We sail a Macgregor 26M
I will keep you in mind if an opportunity comes up.See you on the water!
Old 12-06-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYAKDAN
Slayer,if you can't wait till Spring,maybe you could sign up for a Coastal Cruising course in the Carribbean!

Are you planning on getting a bigger boat any time soon? If so, you might want to check out NorthEast Trailer Sailors. Fun group and may be some crewing opportunities. Most NE-TS trips are overnight,so a bigger boat is more practical. We sail a Macgregor 26M
I will keep you in mind if an opportunity comes up.See you on the water!

Thanks for the tip. And it would be great if you needed me to crew. I am self employed, so I would be available last minute. I'll PM you my email.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.