Lessons in Venice/Sarasota FL - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-12-2015 Thread Starter

Lessons in Venice/Sarasota FL

Hello all.

I am looking to get started sailing and will be in Venice Fl this December. I have a few questions and welcome all advice.

1. I could possibly take an ASA course or even two from Sara Bay in Sarasota. This would be on a little larger boat, so I am not sure if that is the best way to really start?
2. I would love to learn on a dinghy, because it seems like you would get great feedback from error, but someone could enlighten me further on this. There is a youth school in Venice, but I doubt they would teach me, being that I am over 40. I don't care if I get wet.

3. I really would like private lessons if possible and willing to pay an up charge if it isn't double cost. I took a few lessons on a 47' Yawl years ago in Ft. Lauderdale, but that huge boat was wildly forgiving and as the captain put it, you can't tip this boat over, well at least in the conditions of the three days I sailed it. Hence my gravitation to a dinghy.

I plan on sailing this coming summer on a dinghy on/in a lake where I am from to continue to learn (there is a sunfish for sale for $500), but that is a long way off. I may be able to get to Florida in March to further my sailing experience to get certified bareback.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-13-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Lessons in Venice/Sarasota FL

Guess there is no one from that region. I will try to contact locally on phone. Enjoy.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-13-2015

I suggest you consider Colgate Sailing School, located at the South Seas Resort on Captiva Island. I haven't taken courses there, but they have an outstanding reputation among their past students. They have been in business since 1964. If I wanted to take a course in that area, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Here's a link to their website. Sailing School Captiva Island | Captiva FL Sailing Classes

Here's a link to a Practical Sailor review of Colgate and other sailing schools. Practical Sailor Looks at Sailing Schools - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article

post #4 of 13 Old 11-13-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
I suggest you consider Colgate Sailing School, located at the South Seas Resort on Captiva Island.
That is too far from Venice, FL to be practical, but thanks for the recommendation.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-13-2015 Thread Starter

Just for an update incase anyone does a search for Sarasota/Venice, I am enrolled in my first class and tenthly my second class at the Sara Bay ASA school, so I will be able to take a sailboat out solo. I then hope to practice on a Sunfish or something similar during this coming summer to keep getting better at this. I am excited and a little nervous at the same time, but the guy I talked to was super nice and I look forward to getting started. I will post my experience for searchers in the future.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-13-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcurtis View Post
Guess there is no one from that region. I will try to contact locally on phone. Enjoy.
Patience is a virtue. Receiving a reply to a post requires that someone that can answer it reads your post, and that you somehow motivate them to invest the time to type a reply... I just found this thread.

You can find an ASA Sailing school by entering the zipcode of where you will be staying here; Find An ASA Sailing School.

You can find a US Sailing school (sorted by state) here;United States Sailing Association | Where to Sail

And you can find a Colgate Sailing school (they have at least 7 locations) here; Learn to Sail Vacation | Sail Vacations with Offshore Sailing

I am familiar with all three, and I don't believe that any of them offer lessons on a sunfish if that is what you want. ASA offers "small boat" sailing certification, and even promotes sailing on windsurfers. Colgate teaches basic keel boat sailing on (surprise) a Colgate 26. ASA seems to be more philosophically geared toward developing cruising sailing skills. ASA 101 is typically taught on a 20-ish foot keel boat with a tiller.

Hopefully that will get you started.

I also see that you have already enrolled in lessons with an ASA affiliate. I hope that you enjoy it.
Towguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-13-2015 Thread Starter

I wanted to do a follow up post regarding my experience with Sara Bay Sailing School in Sarasota, FL in case someone did a search in the future. I took two classes, which were two full days long each. The classes were on a 22' Catalina with a tiller, so you get a pretty good feel for sailing. I enjoyed the two instructors I had. Bill and Sarah were both very knowledgable captains and I learned a TON! My first class had another student with me, so there was three on the boat and my second class was just me and an instructor. I was very pleased with this situation. Anyway, we sailed most all of the time other than some studying of charts, knots and a lot of new vocabulary. From points of sail, to man overboard lessons, to anchoring, motoring, docking and more, I feel confident to take a sailboat out already. Obviously, sailing is one of those things you will keep improving on forever and there will never be an end to that part, but I am a musician, so I am used to that.

Anyway, I highly recommend Sara Bay. I feel I already know more than MANY of the boat owners we encountered that didn't have a clue who would be the stand on vessel when passing, but I guess you get used to lots of people that haven't a clue out there. I also love sailing in Sarasota. There was so little traffic and of course beautiful weather. What a great time. Well, I should go practice some of those knots, and keep reading. Enjoy all. I will continue my journey and post some updates now and again. Maybe someday I will meet some folks out there. Looking forward to learning more and more!

Thanks all for your wonderful help.
WanderingStar likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-14-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Thanks all for your wonderful help.
Thank YOU for the follow up!

Did you get the ASA 101 Certification?

For comparison; the ASA school where I teach does ASA 101 over 3 days on a 19-22 foot boat. After completion, the student is entitled / encouraged to take the boat out alone for a day. Colgate teaches "Basic Keelboat" on a Colgate 26, also over 3 days.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #9 of 13 Old 12-14-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Thank YOU for the follow up!

Did you get the ASA 101 Certification?

For comparison; the ASA school where I teach does ASA 101 over 3 days on a 19-22 foot boat. After completion, the student is entitled / encouraged to take the boat out alone for a day. Colgate teaches "Basic Keelboat" on a Colgate 26, also over 3 days.
I have the 101 and 103 certification. I am looking to get the bareboat cert next, but feel I want to go out with lots of seasoned sailors if possible to get more feedback and advice. I will probably go to Annapolis, or possibly Erie, PA for more lessons, but that will have to wait for Spring I suppose. Boston is a bit far for me, but you never know. Thanks for the response. I am now learning and researching sailboats that would fit my ideas. Alden and Hinckley come to mind because I love fit and finish and woodwork is a bit of a passion of mine. On the other hand, I may end up with something newer. Hard to say, since I am just starting to learn. One boat really caught my eye. It is an Alden named Dress Blue. I can't post the link, but it is easy to find if you want to have a look. Most of my cruising would be in Florida's West Coast and up the East Coast as well. I just love that wonderful Alden.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-15-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
I have the 101 and 103 certification. I am looking to get the bareboat cert next, but feel I want to go out with lots of seasoned sailors if possible to get more feedback and advice. I will probably go to Annapolis, or possibly Erie, PA for more lessons, but that will have to wait for Spring I suppose. Boston is a bit far for me, but you never know. Thanks for the response. I am now learning and researching sailboats that would fit my ideas. Alden and Hinckley come to mind because I love fit and finish and woodwork is a bit of a passion of mine. On the other hand, I may end up with something newer. Hard to say, since I am just starting to learn. One boat really caught my eye. It is an Alden named Dress Blue. I can't post the link, but it is easy to find if you want to have a look. Most of my cruising would be in Florida's West Coast and up the East Coast as well. I just love that wonderful Alden.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to solicit you as a student, not that I would object either. I hope my post didn't come across that way. Nor do I teach in Boston. PM me if you want specific school info.

If I am understanding you, it sounds like you completed ASA 101 and 103 in four days... While this could be done, the school that I primarily work with would want to do this in six days, and you would be entitled to a free day of sailing per class. 104 is also a full three days. When I teach 104 we leave the dock mid-day on day one, and don't return until day 3. My concern is that you seem to have crammed a lot of lessons into a little time. Heck, given the choice, I would like to teach ASA 103 over 4 days.

I suggest that you sail as many different boats as you can, and try not to get fixated on any one brand of boat. Aldens and Hinkleys are great, but so are Bristols, Pearsons, Ericsons, Outbounds, Calibers, Tartans, C&Cs, CSs, Valiants, Catalinas, and even O'days.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.