Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006
luffless

kinetic is on a distinguished road
Where to sail? Licenses?

I've started sailing with a friend of mine who works for a sail school. He's moving away soon, and I'm interested in getting some kind of license so I can go sailing / rent boats out myself.

I know certain places you can pay to get "certified" and then you can use their boats only. But is there some kind of license that I can obtain, such that it will allow me to rent boats wherever I go?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2006

awayocean is on a distinguished road
You do not need licence to rent boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nope.

Even the ASA certifications really won't get you to charter boats without being checked out by the chartering organization as a general rule. I'm not saying that the ASA certifications aren't useful, but most people who charter boats, want to be able to see you sail before letting you charter one of their boats.

Often, a good sailing school reference will be better than an ASA credential, as the ASA credentials are often "paper" credentials and issued to people who don't know a sheet from a halyard.

One thing that might be worth something is a USCG Captain's License with the Sailing Endorsement...but that's a bit extreme for most people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-07-2006
luffless

so sailing isn't as easy as traveling, and renting a boat and jumping on right away? Probably going to have to plan ahead, go through a quick "check", and then setting sail? It does make perfect sense for any company who rents boats =)
Old 09-07-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Some suggestions:

Keep a log book with you: When you go out, how long, sea state, etc. Dates are good.

Put together a sailing resume... boats you have sailed. Crew on board. Destinations, etc. I would charter a boat to someone that had a good resume and refernces long before ASA... but of course I do not own Sunsail either. Still, it will not hurt and it is easy to do.

Sailing is easy once you get the hang of it. Mastering it is another thing!!!
Old 09-07-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
A Coast Guard license is necessary only if you're carrying passengers (or freight, which unlikely) for hire. Key word is "for hire". Everything else, including yacht delivery, doesn't require a license, though most delivery skippers have one.

Everything else, whether ASA, USSA, or a certificate from Steve Colgate, J-World, or any other good sailing school, is private, but all are better than zero if you have to show some kind of certificate. Most charter ops want to charter their boats, and most can tell in 10 minutes of talking with you whether you really have any experience, certificate or no.

Keeping a log's a good idea anyway, some day you may want that Coast Guard license, and you have to prove your time and tonnage.
Old 09-07-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you really want to charter boats in a lot of different locations....start with a big Charter company like Sunsail-Moorings. Once you've chartered with them, they will have you in the corporate database, and you should be able to charter boats at other Sunsail-Moorings locations without having to jump through hoops again.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-07-2006

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Certifications & SF Bay

Kinetic: The Certifications are granted by the US Sailing or ASA certified schools as you pass each level of training. You can also get certified by demonstrating your skills (without the training), joining the association & passing the written test(s) plus any local school requirements.
Some schools / clubs require you to become a member to charter their boats or to obtain their member (lower) charter rates.

In US Sailing, there are 5 levels from basic keelboat (entry) to Ocean Passagemaking. ASA has similar. The level you are certified for will usually determine what size/type boat you can charter.

http://www.ussailing.org/

http://www.asa.com/

Here in SF Bay, most of the charter operations are part of schools/clubs. Each has their own set of approaches, rules, charter fleet & styles including whether you have to be a member of that particular club to charter their boats. They are also spread around the bay which will provide different conditions in & around the school/club location (marina / proximity).
SF Bay is known as one of the most challenging (and lots of fun if you like wind) areas to sail considering the geography, commercial traffic, pleasure craft, currents in certain areas & summer winds.............so each charter operation will definitely make sure (or at least should) the skipper & crew are qualified.

The costs vary from school/club on training, chartering, membership (if necessary or on-water testing (if you feel you can pass without training). The sailing association fee is usually the same no matter what school/club you choose. It will include a Log Book to record your training level / certification & allow you to track your charters & other experience. There are also training materials produced by each association for each level.

Suggest You visit several schools/clubs to see their facilities, check out their boats, understand their approach/rules & get a feel for the staff/members.
this link should help identify resources in the bay area.
www.sfsailing.com
I went thru that process when I moved to the area 6 yrs ago & very happy @ OCSC in Berkeley.
Old 09-07-2006
Telstar 28

Chuteman,

Most places won't take a USSA or ASA creditation at face value, and most will require sailing references and seeing you actually sail before allowing you to charter a boat. One of my friends, who was a USSA instructor, and had both USSA and ASA certifications, was told this, when he went to charter a boat. He also has a USCG Captain's License with Sailing Endorsement too... Didn't matter much...they still wanted to see how he handled a boat.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-07-2006
luffless

wow, thanks for all the great help! I'll definately look into all the websites.

I go jogging right next to the OCSC in Berkeley every day, and watch some of them racing out in the bay near the marina.

I'll look into it. Thanks =)