Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006

parttimesailor is on a distinguished road
A question about reef points

I sometimes sail a Precision 15 with a centerboard. The dinghy is pretty light and I've been overpowered in some recent conditions. I am thinking to add reef points to the main and would appreciate any advice on proper placement and whether I should consider any more than just 1 set.
Old 09-19-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Contact your sailmaker to see what kind of strength you have to build into the sail in order for your reef point line to become the new "foot" of the sail, and how you're going to rig the outhaul. Maybe you could consider jiffy-reefing arrangement. It's hard to tie in the old-school reef points if you have to do it underway, in a strong breeze.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
You'd definitely want to go the jiffy-style slab reefing. This will call for modifications to your sail, easily handled by any sailmaker. The hardware needed can easily be added by yourself, check out the Harken catalogues as a guide to how to set this up.A sailmaker will also be able to advise you on the depth of the reef.
In the meantime you might want to look into sailing a little differently, many small light boats can be sailed fairly severely "pinched" to keep them on their feet and still keep going. Drop your traveller if you have it, and vang sheet if you have a vang. (if you don't, you should do!)
Old 09-20-2006

One more thought on whether a single or double-reef setup: Talk with your sailmaker. If you reef the main too small without reducing the jib size (which you can't), you might be unbalanced and have lee helm when you don't want it. A tiny reefed main might work with no jib, you'd still have weather helm, though this rig is really for "survival" conditions, when it may be better to watch the big seas from shore.
Old 09-20-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
reef points

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimesailor
I sometimes sail a Precision 15 with a centerboard. The dinghy is pretty light and I've been overpowered in some recent conditions. I am thinking to add reef points to the main and would appreciate any advice on proper placement and whether I should consider any more than just 1 set.
Usually one design sailors reduce sail by:
1. dropping the jib and sailing with main only.
2. dropping the main and sailing with jib only
3. if too much wind for jus tthe jib, go home

Adding a set of reef points and control lines would be an uncessary hassle. Two set would be a double hassle.
Old 09-20-2006

Part of me agrees with you, that's what we always did on our unreefable small one-design sloops. But with #1, it'll take all day if you have to go upwind, and with #2, you couldn't do it at all with the lee helm. A single, moderate jiffy reef might work for those days when the breeze kicks up and "home" is dead upwind.

I don't know this boat, but if the main is properly converted the additional boom and gooseneck hardware might be fairly simple.
Old 09-20-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
I have a Capri 14.2. Without a jib in good wind, it is very hard to tack. We finally took the main sail to a local sailmaker and put in a few reef points. We did it about 1/4 to 1/3 up. Oh man, what a difference. Now we can sail much more and less capsizing.
Old 09-20-2006

parttimesailor is on a distinguished road
appreciate the feedback - this is definitely a question of matching the sail areas with my skill level! I did sail recently with just the jib (ahead of a cold front) and managed pretty well - not sure if I could have had the main up and still kept her feet - was thinking that a reefed main would have been an option...
good news is that this boat has a roller-furling jib - but I haven't been out enough to have sailed in a wide variety of conditions - so, don't really know how she'll behave with diff. configurations.
Old 06-17-2007

Stepford is on a distinguished road
Chris. I recently purchased a Precision 14 that dumped me on the second time out. I had been trying to figure out what to do, when a search brought me to this thread. I am very interested in how you have been doing and what steps you decided to take. Did you get the reef put in? Any advice?
Old 06-18-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Are you using the hiking straps on your boat ? (these are straps that you hook your feet under so that you can lean your torso out over the water to balance the boat)

Precision 15 Sailing Tips

If you are using these, and still getting overpowered, then I'd wonder if you are perhaps sailing in conditions that are rougher than the boat has been designed for...