Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
HS-

Any time....

It does to be working a good deal faster than previously... So maybe the downtime was worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2006

jstringer is on a distinguished road
go sailing...I learned on a cheap little plastic sunflower.

The basic principles apply

Take a basic course in seamanship (coast guarde auxilliary)

Talk to other sailers..and don't take it too seriously have fun and learn along the way..
Old 11-16-2006

yzlian is on a distinguished road
1. start with instructions for sailing a dinghy at a club - an old style dinghy is fine, but a racy one like a 29er is not; do as much solo as possible, then sail in a double. Dothis frequently for two, three years.
2. get used to being shouted at by your instructor or partner - it is likely, even certain, that you will make the same mistake a few times at least.
3. buy a cheap old 18 or 20-footer daysailer and do a lot of sailing singlehanded, for several years. Then you can move up to a more serious yacht if you want. I personally do not take the "deep-end approach", though others may find it suitable.
Old 11-16-2006

jnj is on a distinguished road
Why these 3 tips?

1. Buy a book on buying a small boat.
2. Buy the smallest boat you will need.
3. Learn everything about that boat.

Repeat if necessary on a larger scale.
Old 11-16-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
(1) Lessons ; (2) Dinghy sailor (read: sunfish, sunflower, force 5, basic laser) ; (3) Practice.

I learned sailing all the above beginning with the sunflower at boy scout camp. All the above are fantastically fun little boats. They are also "wet" boats. In other words you will be getting wet. I mention these little guys for starting out sailing because they react if you simply sneeze. You are an integral part of the boat, and your weight has a lot to do with balancing the boat. That being said, with a bit of experience you will know from the seat of your pants if your boat is balanced or not. IMHO - there is no better way to learn how to sail a boat. This experience and "feel" will transfer directly to your future keel boat. Have a blast, and welcome to the best community on earth: sailors.
Old 11-16-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I am not sure the learning curve is so flat that 3 years in a sailing dinghy is needed.
Old 11-16-2006

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm afraid pigslo is right. If it takes three years to learn what a dinghy can offer you as sailing knowledge, the prospects of moving on to a wider, longer and more complex scale are rather gloomy, to say the least! Put it at six months on average and get the promotion the quickest possible.
Old 11-16-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
Echo Pigslo and Chrondi. 3 years?! I would not have continued. One summer did it for me. The next year I was on a Columbia 28. Loved that boat. Following summer moved to Islander 36. Loved it even more. Alas, neither were my boat (I was a teenager) and they belonged to best friend's dad. I still sailed the Force 5 during this time for shiznitz and giggles though.
Old 11-16-2006

dataBoy is on a distinguished road
I'll just add a couple of things.

Yes to the Coast Guard Auxillary but don't overlook the Power Squadron www.usps.org Despite the name "power" our squadron is almost 75% sailors. Though there are few hands on sailing classes you can still learn the basics of boating, rules of the road and how to read a chart, and more plus network with other boaters, many of whom are always looking for crew.

Several of the yacht clubs where I am, New York City, offer non boat owner memberships at a reasonable price, you'll get to know people there and get invites to go sailing. I know of one yacht club that keeps a couple of boats for members without boats. Don't be put off by "yacht clubs" most are just regular guys and gals.

By all means take sailing lessons. While the schools you'll find most readily are affilitated with the American Sailing Assocciation, it is worth seeking out those affiliated with US Sailing and the American Red Cross. The National Parks Service offers some sailing classes and some Yacht Clubs offer sailing lessons, primarily as a way to bring in new members
Old 11-16-2006

goldingds is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys! I'm actually taking lessons with an ASA certified school. Then I'm going to join their club so i can sail 20' - 25' boats all the time. On the weekends, I'll be on a crew in a regatta for a larger boat. I have a bit of dinghy experience (from a leedo) but unfortunately up here in the northwest its too cold to use those wet boats right now.