SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Absolutely no experience, solo crossing an ocean?

18K views 74 replies 43 participants last post by  midwesterner 
#1 ·
Hello experienced sailors,

I've got this crazy idea of doing some solo-oceancrossings. I've lived on an adventure on land travellling the world the last two years, and now I want to do it at sea.

I can feel that I would love start sailing, but I've never been aboard a sailboat. I've watched hundreds of sailing videos on youtube and I have to do something like this as the adventurer i am.

I'm thinking of buying a 30 foot boat. Nothing fancy.

Is it possible for a total beginner to just buy a 30 foot boat with OK equipment for about $10k and begin sailing singlehanded?

#2 ·
Yes but! . . . . . .First get someone to take you out a few times before you buy . . . . also get some experience with others to learn a little in the beginning . . . Be sensible. . . . It isn't rocket science as they say but don't be foolish either, find out if it is "for you" maybe you are in love with the idea more than reality . . Slow in the beginning cowboy . . . .

#6 ·
You might want to read some of the accounts of people who have done it.

Stuart Woods' book, Blue Water, Green Skipper,
tells his account of preparing to sail a 30 foot sloop in the Trans Atlantic Globe race. I would think that you would want to at least do some of the type of preparation he did.

Tania Aibe's book, Maiden Voyage, tells her story of sailing around the world, with stops, at 18 on a 26 foot sailboat. She sailed before GPS and affordable radar. She took a sextant navigation class but hadn't mastered how to do it until she was a fifth of the way along on her trip. She got where she was going partly by chance. She also had problems with her engine and a fouled fresh water tank.

There are ASA certified sailing classes available all over the country that can teach you a lot of basics of sailing a sloop rigged keel boat in a three day class for about $300 to $500. That is well worth the money.

#12 · (Edited)
Tania Aibe's book, Maiden Voyage, tells her story of sailing around the world, with stops, at 18 on a 26 foot sailboat. She sailed before GPS and affordable radar. She took a sextant navigation class but hadn't mastered how to do it until she was a fifth of the way along on her trip. She got where she was going partly by chance. She also had problems with her engine and a fouled fresh water tank.
I hear folks saying this like she was new to sailing. She sailed growing up, a point that is left out (or at least glossed over) of the book for the most part. She had an Atlantic crossing or two under her belt on her family's boat before she took off. So to say she was a novice sailor is really not true, and she had a good idea what to expect in the open ocean. Granted it was her first time solo. The book is great, and is likely a better story without her sailing resume, but it does make people think they can just buy a boat and point it out towards Bermuda and figure it out on the way.

And a $10,000 boat is likely to need $30,000 to $40,000 in work before it is ready to cross oceans, and most in that price range will never be ready or at least suitable.

#8 ·
While my first thought of what to do with my new to me sailboat back before I knew anything wasn't going solo around the bay, let alone the world, let's remember that if you have no idea how to sail, you have no idea what questions to ask. That's what forums are for: To patiently guide and help those less informed figure out what those questions should be.

(Dips into bowl of popcorn...)

#13 ·
Tough crowd today.

Is it possible for a total beginner to just buy a 30 foot boat with OK equipment for about $10k and begin sailing singlehanded?
Sure. But you will probably be doing lots of daysailing before crossing an ocean. It takes time to learn how to sail, and how to singlehand a boat. You also need to learn how to repair your boat at sea, as well as how to navigate, and storm tactics. Lots of reading, and sailing with others will go a long way. A small 30ft boat can be prepped for offshore for $10k, but that assumes you watch classifieds for a long time, know about the correct type of boat to look for, and will be doing most of the boat-prep yourself.

I would suggest buying a modest boat, sailing it for a few years locally, and then revisit your plans to cross oceans.

#17 ·
A mate and I were discussing the ability to sail a fair ground jumping castle from the Canaries to the Caribbean (or North or South America wherever we end up).

Yes, we were mildly drunk at the time...

Anyway, if we can do that you should be able to do it on a real boat.

Mark
Clearly impossible sir, everyone knows you can't buy a blue water capable bouncy castle (leeboard with a tiller) for less than $10,000.

#16 ·
I, with one buddy of equal sailing ability, can handle a 50' sailboat pretty well. Alone, sometimes my 19'er is a handful. I'm getting better at solo sailing and each 'handful' event (usually due to equipment failure/inadequacy) becomes easier with experience. I'm glad I didn't buy a 30'er to learn solo sailing and boat maintenance, especially one that I could buy for $10K.

#18 ·
Get a 30 foot boat and go out when the weather is a bit rough, 10 foot seas and wind going 30 knots, for example. It will give you a better idea of what sailing often is when going the distance. And then you will still be able to turn around and go home, to be better prepared next time. Don't give up on your dream, but be smart about it.
Best of luck.

#21 ·
Reactions: miatapaul
#23 ·
Regarding Tania Aieb's experience, I think she only had one Atlantic crossing as crew for her father when she was about 12 years old. She did some local bay sailing and coastal sailing prior to her trip. She left on her trip with no shakedown cruise.

Her engine failed on her almost immediately and she discovered that her tank of fresh water was tainted with a fiberglass taste and was undrinkable.

When I read the book I didn't conclude that anyone could take off and sail around the world with as little preparation or experience as she did. I concluded that she got lucky and probably wouldn't recommend anyone else taking the same approach. She now runs a sailing school.

#32 · (Edited)
Yep. A woman in her late 40's. She knew nothing about sailing or the sea but spent a small fortune on the boat--actually a Flicka--and the upgrades and was encouraged by all her "supporters". One warned her about being able to lock her hatch shut for safety so she added locks. Once she finally started out, when the weather turned on her, a few miles from shore, she pulled the hatch cover closed with the drop boards in place but, Oopsie--forgot the locks! And locked herself out in the cockpit! She did finally manage to smash the hatch cover open with a winch handle to get into the boat. After several daze of getting the shoot kicked out of her at sea, she was finally found, dragged back to shore, the boat put up for sale (for next to nothing which is about what she accepted) and she headed inland, poorer but wiser. Her website disappeared soon after. (And, FWIW, "she" could just as easily been a "he", ignorance being an equal opportunity/gender neutral affliction although my-much-better half points out that it tends to be more of a male than female property)

#30 ·
I've got this crazy idea of doing some solo-oceancrossings. I've lived on an adventure on land travellling the world the last two years, and now I want to do it at sea.
I think I qualify as experienced.

"Crazy" strikes me as a good word. There are people who cross oceans alone on the "big sea" concept - lots of sea and not a lot of things to hit so they just sleep when they like. I don't think that is a good idea. Note that "stay out of the shipping lanes" means little in these days of high-end weather routing. There really are no shipping lanes per se, and haven't been for decades. There are certainly places with more traffic than others but you can see a ship anywhere, or another boat. That a collision is a one in a million chance is no help when you are the "1."

I have managed seven days single-handed, offshore, with a 20 minute alarm set. Judgment deteriorates. If you get into trouble after days of not enough sleep really bad things can result.

My singlehanding was on my own boat. I would never go on an extended delivery without crew.

People have done what you propose, launching off unprepared, inexperienced, and alone and survived. That does not make it a good idea.

#31 ·
I'd say yes, but I'd take a year to live on it (while working your usual job) and sail in your local area, starting with daysails and going onto weekenders/weeklongs.

You'll find out what needs replacing and what you like/don't like pretty fast.

#36 ·
OK, OK, let's go easy on him.

KGS. No, it makes no sense at all if the question is "Can I jump in a sailboat, head to England and learn 'the ropes' on the way?". However, if the sailing affliction has set in, there is no cure shy of succumbing the sirens' song and buying a boat. A 30 footer might be a stretch at first. Boats are not cheap to own or maintain and the cost is not directly proportional the the length. You can pick up a 22 footer that you can be pleased with for $2000. A 25 footer more like $5000. A 27 footer, closer to 10K. A 30 footer upwards of $20,000. Now, these are good ol' girls from the late 70's to mid 80's that need a little make-up. But if you're handy and have some common sense, they'll serve you well.

If I could be so bold as to offer my opinion/recommendation. Pick up the 23-25 foot trailer sailer. Again, split the diff, $4000. You can learn plenty, sail lots, bring that special someone and a bottle of Merlot, spoil your mom with a day on the water, all for pretty short money. Best of all, the plethora of stupid mistakes that we all make (but only some actually admit to) will be made on a less expensive boat that you can repair in your drive way. Once you know what you're doing, sell the boat to the next newbie an invest in the 30+ footer. There's a book out there called "The Complete Trailer Sailer" by Brian Gilbert. Lots of great info but most helpful for you would be the section in the back that contains specs, photos, sketches, pros and cons of about 50 boats in the range that I'm recommending. It can really help you see what you like in a boat, what you hate and what you never knew you always wanted. Boats are like women (I am assuming you're a guy) with differing personalities and traits. I hope I don't appear too sexist, but there are things that guys like in women and things that they don't and no two guys are exactly the same. Some like them slim, some like them beamy. Some like them comfortable while others, like them more spartan. (trying hard to stray from double entendres). So, like a Seaward RK32; impeccable craftsmanship, excellent features but I don't like the look. It's a taste thing but just like in high school, often times the prettier ones, shall we say, cost more and were higher maintenance while the girl who was a little less spectacular (looks wise) was the one you gave your heart to, and after 38 are still doing it. And now, the cheerleaders are chubby and wrinkled and your Mrs runs 1/2 marathons and turns heads when she walks into rooms. Wait, no, that's me. You get the idea.

Anything worth doing requires sails.

#38 ·
All the talk about popcorn made me think of a movie....

"Do you feel lucky? Do ya." You may be lucky and realize your dream but then again you may not be so lucky and find yourself on a one way trip to "Davy Jones locker." In the end, you have the freedom to make that choice, I would just ask that you consider all those brave souls that may have to come to your rescue. Your question is hypothetical, but if you act on it there maybe negative consequences, not just for you but others who ply the seven seas and will try to save your selfish BUTT! Plan responsibly and I will be the first one to come save you. Personal choice vs. responsible choice. Not so responsible IMHO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.