SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

So much hate to new people.

23K views 145 replies 59 participants last post by  ZenRyder 
#1 · (Edited)
So many videos and such calling new people all kinds of stuff. Seems like everyone keeps saying you shouldn't be allowed to sail (not to me) to all the beginners. Everyone, even experts have to have their 1st week on a boat. Shish, you have to learn some time. It's like instant hate when people see you've been sailing for anything less than 20 years.

I have my 1st day of sailing my boat coming this month (30' C&C 30). I'm graduating from a 15' potter sail boat at 400lbs to this 9,000 lbs beast. Not looking forward to all the hate everyone spews. I have just completed ASA 101, 103/104, but still nervous about it. I'll see if a dock hand at the marina will jump onboard for my 1st docking in a marina. Life has thus far been motoring onto my trailer with a motor that rotates 360 degrees. Backing up this 30' boat with not much effect/prop wash, is intimidating even though I didn't bash in the sailing instructor's beneteau 35 docking in 28-32 sustained wind.

Just a rant, no response required.

Reactions: Buc210
#16 ·
Nervous, huh?

Nobody will laugh at you. We were all there once.
Don't believe it. Everyone will laugh at you.
Funny thing about boating, you're either watching the show or you are the show:)
We've all been there, relax & enjoy it.
Good luck with the new boat & have fun!

Reactions: SHNOOL
#3 ·
I don't know why you feel the hate. I find most sailor friendly.

I do see a lot of negativity posted here by some who make it seam sailing is a dangerous game and you should never leave the dock in case you encounter sea monsters or dragons. It reflects on them not you.

looks like you are of to a good start and have found a really nice boat. Not everyone loves a C&C but I have one and they are really nice boats to sail. You took a course to learn the basics. You are well prepared.

Once you get on your boat take her out and get comfortable. If you feel you need help ask for it I'm sure someone will oblige.

Good luck have fun. Wave at other boats most will wave back.
I sail on the other side of the continent but would give you a friendly wave if you pass by.

#5 ·
you are in a great location! 10 yr ago I bought my O'Day 30 just up river by the bridge from Harrington and had the the survey and lift out at Harrington! I spent some time just motoring but the day my son took her out was a rush! Even crossing sand the bar was fun! Inertia of a sailboat can take some time to under stand they keep going and going using reverse helps but stopping the boat dead is a learning curve. Fair winds!

#6 · (Edited)
No hate here at all towards new sailors of keel boats. The only thing I hate is that you sound much better prepared than I was on my first keel boat voyage over 12 years ago. Gotta start somewhere though and MikeOReily is correct that most yachties will chew your ear off attempting to be helpful. I'm probably one of them.

Get out there and sail that C&C 30'; nice boat BTW. One easy overnight sail (weather permitting) might be from HH to the Tilghman Island cut; Tilghman Marina was nice when visited last year and about $75 for an overnight transient slip w/wifi, shoreside showers, heads... breakfast of sorts too.

#8 · (Edited)
Just take it one step at a time and it'll be cool (and in close quarters, don't go faster, when you can go slower ;) There's very little true hate on these forums, but ya gotta grow a thick skin because they will call out posters' ignorance (mine included) in no time flat. I went from sailing a few times on a motor-less Cal 20 to buying a 38-footer. First time I docked it to get fuel just before bringing it up the Northern California coast, I watched the attendants struggle to hold onto the dock lines and wrestle my boat to the dock. My friend leans over and says in my ear, "now take it out of gear."

Sheez.

But really, it's all good. Just take it one day at a time and you're going to have a blast every day you go out :)

#11 ·
I hate you. You just think you can buy a sailboat and sail away, eh? Well think again bucko, the ocean is no place for newbies like you. Come back in 20 years or so and maybe we'll let you do some sailing, or maybe not. Until then just enjoy being a landlubber and get those ridiculous thoughts of sailing in a gentle breeze, anchoring in an idyllic cove, exploring places you've always heard about but never in your wildest dreams thought you would be able to sail there on your own boat, out of your silly head. :))

#13 ·
welcome to the site !tons of good people here. ihave found ansers here on many related subjects...ignore the aholes...u gotta a good boat so sail the hell out of her...in docking come in slow and then slow down .keep your steerage...don't drift.... after the first 50 times or so u can do it in your sleep...good luck and enjoy

#15 ·
You are starting with a great boat. Myself, I never sailed a day until I took ASA 101 and 105 back in 2001. Then I bought my 1972 C&C 30MKI that fall. 12 years later I sold that boat and bought my second C&C.

The owner of my first boat and I became friends and we still stay in contact and sail together once or twice a year. One thing he told me that I'll never forget;

"The perfect days of sailing and all the perfect sunsets blend together. The days when things go wrong, something breaks or the weather turns to snot, those are the days you remember. Those are the days that become stories to tell, times to look back and laugh at."

#19 ·
Yea, I think this sight is mostly encouraging, though if you have a real hair brained, or even dangerous idea you might get a little blow back, but it is with your interest in mind.

Remember the only difference between being laughed at and being laughed with is attitude. Enjoy the fun, even in your own mistakes!

#20 ·
So many videos and such calling new people all kinds of stuff.
When did we start making videos laughing at newbies? And why was I not invited? ;)
Dude, relax... pi.ss on them old timers telling you what to do. They talk tough now but in their days they made such bonehead moves they are too embarrassed to talk about it even when fully liquored up.

#22 ·
Hate the newbees? Why would we do that? Who would we sell our small sailboats to in order to purchase a larger one?
I just get a bit miffed when the over whelming advice is DON'T DO IT, then the newbee does it, then comes back here to whine about it. Like when someone drops a tow line in the middle of a the bay while towing a deep draft mold infested not running engine hasn't move in eons sailboat.

#23 ·
How could you ever hate a person who is ants to sail. How can you hate a fellow C&C owner.
Hope we run into each other on the Bay

All of us started as newbs once😀😀😀

#24 · (Edited)
What planet, or moon, are you sailing on? Titan, the one with the methane ocean, off of Saturn?? I can see how that could get nasty. But you may not need antifouling paint, so even there I bet it's not *all* bad

Couldn't be Earth, at least the one I know. I've been treated with kindness most everywhere, and have tried to return it. Cranky people are everywhere, probably some on boats. But not many.

Even on Sailing Anarchy they are sorta nice on certain occasions.

I think this is in the eye of the beholder?? To paraphrase Henry Ford, "whether you think people are friendly, or unfriendly, you're right"...

#95 ·
What planet, or moon, are you sailing on? Titan, the one with the methane ocean, off of Saturn?? I can see how that could get nasty. But you may not need antifouling paint, so even there I bet it's not *all* bad
My wife (@punahougirl84) wrote a short story about a sailing regatta on Titan - did the research, figured out the physics for sailing in a methane sea... Hoping that one sells some day.

#26 ·
I re-read the original post, and again I'm shaking my head. "Instant hate" from people when they find out you're a new to sailing?

What's really annoying is people referring to others as haters with nothing to back it up. As has already been suggested Serpa, give us a link to these hateful videos. You claim there a a lot of them.

You know....put up or shut up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.