SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How to find a GOOD sailing instructor?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  CherokeeSailWench 
#1 ·
Hiya!

I want to take a few lessons but I'm a bit worried about how to find a good qualified instructor. I've heard a few stories from people who took lessons and the "instructor" was unwilling (or unable) to actually teach even the basics. I also live in a tourist area so the local businesses are geared to (let's be honest) ripping off the tourists as much as possible. Hopefully that doesn't apply to the sailing crowd but you never know.

Basically, what questions should I ask of a potential instructor?

Thanks!

#2 ·
CherokeeSailWench said:
Hiya!
Basically, what questions should I ask of a potential instructor?
Thanks!
Why do you want lessons? So you can sail the boat you own now, charter boats, buy a boat in the near future, crew on someone else's boat, take your non-sailing wife and kids out, sail by yourself singlehanded, 15', 20', 30' boat?

I wanted to learn how to take my friends and family out on 22-25' charter boats from a club rather than own my own boat. In that case, the club was more important than the instructor. Two months later now I've met and sailed around three of their instructors so far and feel very comfortable I got my money's worth. They also ensured I was ASA certified so that I could charter boats from other clubs around the world.

As an inexpierenced sailor, there isn't much you can ask a potential instructor that will increase your chances of getting a fair deal. I would just make sure you're getting instruction from an ASA or US Sailing certified school and let them assign you the instructor. Pick a school that has multiple instructors. Many schools will let you retake portions of the course for free if you desire.

My club has 1-2 classes sailing almost every weekend. So if I wanted, I could join a different instructor later for free I think.

Hope that helps.

Ray

#5 ·
I'd ask for references and then check with those. Also, if there are yacht clubs or marinas in the area, ask around those. Ask for ASA certified instructors.

If you're in San Diego, contact Capt Lee Pearce--he's an ASA instructor and excellent.

#7 ·
You should also check with local colleges, which often have sailing programs, as well as other community based programs. In Massachusetts, there are programs in Buzzards Bay and in Boston and Cambridge that offer lessons for relatively little money. Crewing is another excellent way to get experience, but I'd highly recommend you get a good foundation course in first, like an ASA 101 course. Also, highly recommned that you get The Complete Sailor, by Dave Seidman. Excellent book, very well written with good drawings and plain language. I generally have anyone crewing for me read it before coming aboard.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks both of you!

I live in south Florida right now. To be honest I wouldn't trust anyone local but I might try the Sarasota area, it's only a couple of hours away.

SailingDog, I'm reading (or at least trying to) Chapman's Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling but I think some hands on time is a must for me to really understand some of what I'm reading. I've been a passenger on some daytrips but since I'm a novice I wasn't allowed to do anything. Most of my experience is on cabincruisers and "speedboats" and it does help a little. I'll try to find a copy of the book you recommended. Our local used book store seems to have a plethora of books about boats so maybe I'll get off cheap, lol.

Chuteman, thanks for the links! I've bookmarked both of them and will investigate the websites as soon as I get my little monkey to bed!

#10 ·
Chapman's, while a great reference, is really not an appropriate book to learn sailing from. The Seidman book is really designed and written to teach a lot about the basics of sailing, sailing theory and techniques. I think you'll like the book a lot.... most of the other people who have read it on my recommendation have loved it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.