SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New to in Mast Furling Couple of Questions

5K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  killarney_sailor 
#1 · (Edited)
Having never had in mast furling I though for my second post here I would ask a couple of questions regarding the operation of the furling system, this topic has undoubtedly been covered numerous times and I have looked and while previous posts have touched on the subject I did not find the specific answers.

Question #1 - Is reefing the main as simple as furling a portion of the sail back into the main?, after which putting some tension on the out haul and securing the furling lines. I don't recollect seeing any specific reef points marked on the boom when I was on the boat we are in the process of purchasing, which leads me to believe that reducing the main sail area is done by feel, at least until one becomes more familiar with the relationship between wind speed and main sail area.

Question #2 - Removing the main sail for winter storage? is this accomplished by simply unfurling the main, remove a clevis from the tack, pull the sail down and out of the track, remove the clevis from the head of the sail, fold nicely and store for winter or send to sail loft for inspection and any repairs which may be recommended?

#2 ·
In mast furling equals infinite reefing; reef as little or as much as suits the conditions.
There is a learning curve w/inmast furling. Go slow until you get used to your system and don't force things. NEVER force things. If the sail gets hung up going in our out, STOP and reverse. Then go on slowly with what you were trying to do. An older baggy sail will be harder to furl/unfurl than a crisp new one, so take that into account and be patient.
As for removing the sail, roll it all the way out, then loose the halyard and it should slide down, just like a roller furling jib. You should have a foil in the mast quite similar to what the headsails use.
Good luck and I hope you come to love your inmast furling as much as we do ours. It's almost like having a jib instead of a boom sail. You can get a lovely shape by using the outhaul, sheet and a vang to the jib track.

#3 ·
Thanks Capta, the reefing method is what I was thinking but thanks for validating that thought and thanks for the advice on moving slowly and never forcing, we have been on the boat once, will be closing on it September 1st, the current owner reiterated the same instruction, head to 5* port into the wind when furling in the main, that way it stays in line with the furling rig slot and take your time. He stated if you don't do that, you will have issues, seemed easy enough.

Would the head sail work the same way? roll out as much as you want? as long as one secured the furling line.

#4 ·
I didn't mention that we'll put the sail up (pull it out) on any point of sail. Just last week we kept the boom amidships and did it dead down wind! Dropping it we can furl as far out as a broad reach, though usually we do it on a beam reach with the sheet eased. Reefing we can do on any point of sail, even a run.
However, I don't recommend your trying that until you are well and truly comfortable with your system, and know all it's quirks. We've been sailing this rig for 6 years now, in winds normally 18 to 25 knots and occasionally to 40, so we are pretty familiar with our set up. It is a real blessing though, not to care what point of sail we are on, when we wish to shorten sail or even furl or unfurl it.
Good luck. I'm sure if you take it easy, you'll also be a fan of 'infinite reefing'.

#8 ·
Ditto what Capta said. Take it slow.

One other thing: if you take your sail off for the winter, but leave the mast up, send up a line with some sail ties, or foam pieces, up the mast to keep the spindle from slapping inside the mast when it's windy. You can look that up for more details.

#21 ·
Ditto what Capta said. Take it slow.

One other thing: if you take your sail off for the winter, but leave the mast up, send up a line with some sail ties, or foam pieces, up the mast to keep the spindle from slapping inside the mast when it's windy. You can look that up for more details.
If you leave the mast up for the winter, you ought to consider the noise that your slot will create in a strong wind. There are techniques available to address this issue and that should take care of any internal slap. We live about 400' from a large ketch that is stored in the water with the sails removed and the moaning in a northerly wind is significant. We were told that this year there will be mitigation to control the noise.

#10 ·
Luffing yes, by easing the sheet, not by coming up into the wind. Pretty much the only time we change course to furl or unfurl the main is when the wind has it against the rig, as in on a run or very broad reach.
We don't get to do a lot of running in the Windwards, so it's sort of a moot point for us.

#11 ·
We need to take the wind load off in order to furl well and easy. If there is very light wind, that is easy to do any ol way. If its blowing hard then we usually head part way to the wind in order to luff somewhat. It all depends on how much is out in the first place. Its a balancing act between taking some pressure off and flogging the cr@p out of it. Downwind, pointing the boom at the wind can work well.

#16 ·
Works for me!

We tail the outhaul, or perhaps that should be 'untail'. When furling, we want some slack but not a flogathon. My furling winch is on one side of the companionway and the outhaul is on the other side. Stand between them and furl in while feeding oithaul in a controlled manner

#17 ·
What CaptA says is spot on. Go easy on it and never force something if it binds up. Try to get a tight roll while furling to reduce the size in the mast but not too tight to overly strain the gear.

Don't put marks for "reef points" on anything. Always furling to the same spot increases chafe in specific areas. Try to spread the chafe around over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#18 ·
This thread has been of great interest as I will also be taking delivery of my first boat with in-mast furling in the spring. I hope I come to love it as Capta says he does but I do have a concern. When I went on a test sail, the seller asked me to assist by tailing the outhaul when putting the sail away which made me think "What! You told me you single-hand this boat all the time. Why do you need me?" My previous boat (a Nonsuch 30) had a very large sail plus an electric halyard winch and I never needed help raising or dropping sail. So I ask those with experience with this: is in-mast furling a good system for single-handing or not - considering furling, unfurling and reefing? Thanks.

#19 ·
You wont have a problem. I singlehanded a 76 footer with in mast furling and did thousands of furls. You will soon know how many wraps you leave on the winch for the outhaul to provide just enough tension to furl the main snugly.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I single hand my 40' Catalina. It is really easy. I do, however, have an electric winch on the cabin top. I used to not use it, but over time I use it more often, just because it's easier. I am (of course) very careful not to load it up. As has been said repeatedly here, take things slow and easy, and the system works fine.

#24 ·
I am considering purchasing a Catalina 25 swing keel which has a behind the mast roller furling main similar to a CDI MR4/6. This system basically operates the same as a head sail furler. One thing that I am wondering about is that the sail is only "connected" to the mast at head and tack. Also, the sail is only connected to the boom at the clue. The mains that I have used were attached to the mast by guides or bolt ropes. Which, I believe distributed the load over the length of the mast. With the MR4 system, does it apply too much pressure to the top and bottom of mast vice loading the length of the mast? I may consider doing away with the roller furling main. I would need to purchase a new sail, any more expenses involved with converting back to traditional main? Thank you.

#25 ·
Lots of boats have the system you describe and it seems to work quite well for them. Try it and see how it works on that boat. It might take a performance hit, but you might be able to live with that.

My Dad owned a Coronado 26 in the 1970's. Jib furling systems were just starting to become popular then and Dad thought that it might work for a main sail. He was a creative fellow, and had a couple of friends make a mast-head fitting and a tack fitting. He sailed that boat, with that mast furling system, for years. It was the first mast-furling system I had ever seen.

#26 ·
Thank you Scotty for the information. I am looking forward to giving it a try. My wife and I are retired allowing us to set sail with our only time constraints being those imposed by mother nature (weather). My wife is a professional relaxer (she is very beautiful at it), so anything that can ease my single handed sailing will probably be more beneficial than optimal performance. Of course she can man the tiller while I reef the main or tend to other duties. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.