Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2001

NYCSmith2K is on a distinguished road
A good start...

The ideal of cruising on a sailboat has always provided a bit of stress relief whenever New York City has started to get to me. As one might guess, the last few months have made these mental vacations more necessary than ever (we live 1/4 mile from the wtc).

The catch in all this is that I''ve never spent much time on a sailboat. I grew up on a lake and owned a sunfish for a couple seasons, I''ve also been out in LI sound a few times with friends, as has my wife. But we hardly have taken it seriously.

In light of all that''s going on in the world I can''t think of any reason to put off experiencing the reality any longer.

That said, my wife and I are thinking of chartering a crewed monohull in March or April of 2002. we''d like a captain that can show us a good time as well as educate us. Really, we''re looking for a good start...

Ideas, suggestions etc. from the forum would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2001

OdysseyGirl is on a distinguished road
A good start...

I''m looking to find youth from the ages betweem 14-18 in the tacoma area in Washington to crew on a 90 foot Yawl, no experience needed, we will teach you everything....... Sea scout program
Old 01-01-2002

valhalla2005 is on a distinguished road
A good start...

As long as you don''t take it too seriously you can''t fail. Allways remember that sailing''s supposed to be fun:-)
Try take some lessons, or find someone to crew for in the local marinas. If you have any questions on "how to", e-mail me...
If you''ve got money, check with the moorings about both classes and charters.
Old 01-01-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
A good start...

Ahoy , Big Apple survivor. Whats a matter big fella does it take 220 stories of rubble to get you to think about sailing. I think you need therapy first. The last thing I need is another burned out city dweller freaking out when I put the rail in the water or ask him to go foward and clamp on the lightning cables to the shrouds before the thunderstorm roll in. But if your really serious get out you briefcase and fill it with cash and go see Jeff_ in Maryland and I''m sure the loss of your cash will make it all better. Big Red56
Old 01-02-2002

crownedone is on a distinguished road
A good start...

hey big red, sounds like you might need some therapy for being an inconsiderate jerk when you respond to someone you have never met. Why don''t you just keep your stupid remarks to yourself. I think it is great when someone wants to look into sailing
Old 01-02-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
A good start...

red,
that last e-mail was really very harsh insensitive and unnecessary.we here in new york find nothing funny about the wtc disaster.
eric
eric
Old 01-02-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
A good start...

nycsmith,
hiya,
we keep our boat in st thomas over the winter and huntington ny in the summer.
if you and your wife would like to drop by for a day sail either in st thomas or huntington, please drop me a note at kimberlt@optonline.net.
fair winds
eric
Old 01-03-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
A good start...

Ahoy, insensitive Big Red56 the Pirate here, FUNNY? FUNNY? MY dear NY newcommer I will not apologise or in any way change my comments. My sticking a cutlass in your ribs has well served your purpose by getting you a free intro which I suggest you jump on. My dear kimberlite,eric? , I see a lot of cyberspace nonsense on this site and very little real connections being made. Call this guy and follow through. We as a Nation must go on with our lives, to do anything else or to tip toe around NYorkers isn''t helping. This terrorist strike was meant to stop us and change the way we live and I will not let it. At the same time I do not think that it is being fair to the rest of the nation who suffer as well from the emotional and financial aftershocks of this terrible act. What I found disingenous was this persons use of" ohh woo is me whining" asking for someone to tell him its ok to run away from his sorrow. Sailing is not an escape from reality, it is a different reality to begin with. It is not funny to me that thousands never had the chance to escape.If you all really want to wear your hearts on you sleeves take your boat up there and give everyone a ride. Then sell your boat and give the proceeds to the relief effort. Otherwise strike your colors Im not the enemy! Big Red 56 Pirate
Old 01-03-2002

sailorman_10 is on a distinguished road
A good start...

Although BigRed56 occasionally has some good points that I wholeheartedly agree with, its best to just ignore the mindless swagger that sometimes seeps through his fingertips.
Old 01-03-2002

NYCSmith2K is on a distinguished road
A good start...

I''m amused.

A story. A man is driving down the highway and is cut-off by another man in new Red Ford Explorer. The first man gives the exlorer the finger and promptly speeds up and tailgates for the next five miles, when the Explorer and the man both take the off ramp. The Explorer turns down a side street and the man continues on home fuming. Later that evening, our man is out raking the lawn when the new Red Ford Explorer pulls into the driveway next door.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.