Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
This speaks for itself

I'm not gonna say a word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whSHw4k2yLo

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
OMG!! These guys seem proud of their accomplishment.
Old 12-23-2006
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
Heh, ok, my amateur analysis:

Starts with the basic assumption that a crew that is half children can handle a spinnaker in so much wind. But it's racing, and they're willing to take chances to go fast. At least the women and children have life jackets on, but the men should too. When they go to deal with the spinnaker halyard, there should have been more than one person, she should have been attached to the boat (?), the halyard should never have been on a jam cleat (I hate jam cleats but maybe that's just me?) and maybe a stronger hand on the helm might have helped? I assume the sheet man was tailing the spinnaker sheets which is why he never moved during the whole thing. Poor direction from the skipper, but at least he kept the crew calm and managed to get back under control.

But what do I know? I'm just a noob. Be interested to hear the opinion of any real racer.
Old 12-23-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, the guy who posted this video had a great write up about what his purpose in posting the video was, along with a good deal about his sailing philosophy and such. If I can remember where I saw the post, I'll link to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-23-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I just hope they STOP reproducing now and let natural selection run its course.
Old 12-23-2006
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Tell you what, I am a real non-sailor myself and the more I see of it the more I realize how complicated it really is. I have been a helo and airplane pilot for years and I do take lots for granted how easy it is (for me) since I have been doing it for over 30 years. There are so many little things involved with both sports we tend to take for granted, things we pick up that only come with time and with a experienced instructor. Flying actually is easy just takes time and patience to do it well; I imagine sailing is pretty much the same. Things can go bad to worse in a heartbeat. My hat is off to you sailors out there. One day if I am fortunate I will get to actually get to do it on my own very small day sailor.

Jerry
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 12-23-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, the e-mail from the poster of the video in question is located here. It might be wise to read Mark's e-mail in full before opening one's mouth...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-23-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
"Ham-it-up" ...Pigslo is that you?????
Old 12-23-2006
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
BTW, the e-mail from the poster of the video in question is located here. It might be wise to read Mark's e-mail in full before opening one's mouth...
I like his attitude. You should hear all of the monday morning quarterbacking from the armchair pilots after hearing about a aircraft accident on the news. I always tell them that unless you were actually there you have no idea what really happened...do you?

Jerry

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

Old 12-23-2006
Thanks Courtney.

What a shame the French weren't listening.