SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Sailing Certifications/Schools (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/2728-sailing-certifications-schools.html)

rwirawan 12-02-2001 06:06 PM

Sailing Certifications/Schools

I am a beginner wishing to enter the world of sailing, can u all help me with a couple of questions for now?

1. What are the good sailing schools in north western/rockies area (I live in Wyoming) in particular, or nationwide in general?
2. Which certifications I should aim for, US Sailing or ASA? Why?

SailorMitch 12-05-2001 03:43 AM

Reggie,

I live on the east coast so can''t help you with sailing schools in that part of the country. I can tell you that the Annapolis Sailing School has a very good program, with branches in FLA and the Caribbean I believe. Or come out to the Chesapeake for a class sometime.

One other suggestion is to look in the ads of the big sailing magazines. Lots of sailing schools advertise there.

As for certification, what do you want to do with your sailing? If it''s totally recreactional, you don''t need anything, although certificates from sailing schools will get you a reduction in your insurance if you buy a boat from some companies. If you want to teach sailing, then you need to get a certificate of some sort. But I do admit I ahve no idea which of the two you mentioned would be better for that purpose.

RobGallagher 12-05-2001 04:30 AM

I''m located in New England. I took the ASA Coastal Navigation and Basic Keel Boat classes. Even with many years of power boating experience I benefited greatly from the Coastal Navigation class. The Basic Keelboat class will teach you the basics on a small, but comfortable 24 ft boat. If you like your instructor, you can also hire him/her to go out with you on your boat for a few hours to get further instruction.

radio18 12-05-2001 09:08 AM

Dayton yacht harbor, located on Flathead Lake in western Montana, offers instruction and certification. They''re web site is www.montanasailing.com.

coloradosailor 12-05-2001 09:43 AM

Hi Reggie,

I took ASA classes in the Denver area and learned much. The classes were fairly low cost and have rental discounts as a part of the deal. Getting started, I don''t think it matters between ASA / US Sailing. You can search for a school at everythingaboutsailing.com

Good Luck.

dhartdallas 12-12-2001 10:17 AM

Ahoy, Reggie. Steve Colgate''s Offshore Sailing School is excellent and results in U.S. Sailing certification. U.S. Sailing is the governing body so it is a little weightier than A.S.A., though A.S.A. is plenty good enough. I went through in Fort Lauderdale, but they also operate out of Captiva Island, also in Florida. Call Susan, 800-221-4326 for details. The fast track live aboard to Coastal Cruising and Bare Boat Charter is excellent. You can challenge the Basic Keel Boat certification if you think you are good enough. Otherwise it is a three day prerequisite. I recommend it if you are self taught and have never had formal training. It''s worth the trip to Florida, in my opinion, although they also have schools in the northeast. Of course, as someone else mentioned, the Annapolis School of Sailing has an excellent reputation. Good luck. dhartdallas.

dhartdallas 12-15-2001 08:06 AM

Ahoy, Reggie. I mistakenly told you that I took that course out of Fort Lauderdale. I''ve been researching a trip there and had it on the brain I guess. St. Pete. is where I did that fast track live aboard. Regards. Dean.