Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007

MaineCub is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MaineCub Send a message via MSN to MaineCub Send a message via Yahoo to MaineCub Send a message via Skype™ to MaineCub
Newbie: What's wrong with this picture

Warning: The below post is by an absolute beginner. Im still working on all the lingo!!

Okay.. This is a picture of a Tayana 37 posted on Yachtworld.com .

Why is the steering facing aft? Im foncused!

Here is the full link if you need it. http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1394&url=

Thanks and sorry again for such a stupid post!

--Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dave...there are quite a few "traditional" type boats with this type of arranngement. You sit straddling the steering pedestal and it is actually a pretty comfortable position but does not allow the same freedom of movement as more modern arrangements.
This is a little hard to see but here is T. Kennedy at the helm of his boat in a similar arrangement.
Old 01-03-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Our marina friends with a Tayana 37 sit on either side of the pedestal when sailing, which side depends upon the tack. It does work well and is comfortable with crew aboard, especially when cushions in place. It is a bad setup for singlehanders though - winches are too remote and legs become restricted.
Old 01-03-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
This steering arangement helps overcome the problem most sailors have backing out of their slip. Also extreamly helpful for the more social sailors that like to back in, or Med. moor.

Cam- Is it just me, or is a little ironic that Ted Kennedy can't get anyone to go sailing with him!
Old 01-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
T34C...I don't know about ironic...but women just don't feel safe with him over water for some reason!
Old 01-03-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I've always thought of Ted as more of a Uboat Commander than a sailor.
Old 01-03-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
I will give Bob Perry the benefit of the doubt as to whether that steering station design makes any sense. The Tayana 37 was one of his more successful efforts. It is strange however that you don't see that set up on modern designs.
Old 01-03-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
Part of the reason and result of that design is a bullet proof shaft that is a worm gear on a rack to move the rudder.
pigslo
Old 01-03-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
T34C...I don't know about ironic...but women just don't feel safe with him over water for some reason!
Sorry about this. I know they are like Royalty over there, but the real reason no one wants to be near them is because they either get shot at, or killed, or end up killing them selves, and those near them.!! Not good people toi hang around with...

Just count how many are still alive???
Old 01-03-2007
Thanks Courtney.

I am afraid that Darwanian theory may be starting to work for them seeing that no one will go sailing with Uncle Teddy.

G- Royalty???? More like the spawn of Satan!! I had a better reply regarding "Just count how many are still alive???" but was afraid of the Secret Service knocking on my door.