Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
I did that trip about 4 years ago, hence my avitar pic. get someone to help you and sail along the way. do what Cam said and stop at newport for the night eat some good food have some drinks and celebrate life! we sailed from ventura to san diego and pulled in port everynight!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Hmm,

I was once in your similiar situation but.

1. I had already taken a 5 day cruise and learn sailing course. I felt confident in my sailing abilities.

2. I was very adventureous and decided that my FIRST trip as "skipper" would be to take my girlfriend for a 25 mile trip up the West coast here in a Martin 22' (BC, Canada)

The winds un-expectadly picked up and I hadn't reefed the sail and we began to take on water into the cabin as the boat heeled over way too much. After much struggle and a couple of injuries I managed to take the sail down in haste, as I then noticed the boat ad no reefing system for the sail.

We tried motoring to our destination but the outboard engine was useless as it didn't generate enough HP to push the hull against the wind and waves. Cold and a little anxious after surges of adrenelline, we motored back to port after only 2 hours out.

My lesson from that: If you're NEW to sailing, even if you technically KNOW how to sail, ... nothing is better than experience, and you should probably learn step-by-step, instead of a huge mouth-full experiences like a huge trip.

If nothing goes wrong and there are no surprises...you'll probably be fine with your plan ( in this case, sticking to the motor )

However, anyone will tell you that in sailing(especially longer distances) there are almost always surprises you didn't anticipate.

If you're going to do this trip I strongly recommend you bring a sailor aboard

Of course, this was my experience, and I strongly encourage being bold and adventureous in sailing! Just not wrecklesness(like not knowing that your sail has no reefing system on it as you headout into potentially dangerous waters, lol)

Kacper
Old 01-31-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Just a thought.
Why does the boat have to be moved right now?
I would stay where you are, pay for a trainsient mooring, and do some sailing in your local water untill you learn the boat?
It might take a couple of weeks or so, maybe longer. Than when you are comfortable with making the cruise, go for the 50 miles, at 25 miles a day; I think it would be well worth it.
Transient moorings are not cheep, but neither is paying for a captain.
Welcome to the world of boat wownership.
Old 01-31-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Wzhanning,

If you get a santa ana, you will not be happy. I have been there. I agree the weather can be unpredicatable. You can make it in a day of you leave before dawn and get after it. Make sure you have a good VHF (that works, damn it!!) and good safety gear on board. If you do not know how to sail and your engine conks out (since it is a new boat you probably do not know how reliable it is), you you could be in trouble. Go post an advertisent at a local marina and see if you can get a sailor to help you move it. Give him a couple hundred bucks or better (and lots of rum/beer after he arrives, not before... important distinction with many sailors!!!). In addition to getting there safely, you will learn a whole lot about sailing. Just think of it as a crash course.

Sailing is easy. Mastering it is hard/impossible. You can do it, but venturing out on a coast you may not know well with a new boat and untested gear is a recipe for disaster... especially not knowing how to sail.

That is my opinion. Others differ.
Old 01-31-2007
Professional Sun Bather

Razman23 is on a distinguished road
Get all the lessons and knowledge you need by watching the movie "Captain Ron". LOL

~~~_/)~~~
'Have a great sail day!'
Old 01-31-2007
randy capedory 25d seraph

rtbates is on a distinguished road
No way no how. Everyone has given very good advice. Take in very seriously. Make sure the boat can be sailed and by all means take along someone with experience. Sailing is like flying,"hours and hours of shear boredom, interspersed with moments of stark terror". It's those moments of stark terror that you need to be prepared for.

good luck to you
Old 02-03-2007
C & C 32'

fireman181 is on a distinguished road
You could put it on a trailer and tow it..........
Old 02-03-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
My father owned a Cat 27 and I also worked for the dealer when I was much younger. We had an outboard and it tended to cavitate quite a bit when heading into head seas (off NJ). Definitely agree that the fuel, fittings and the advice given by cam is given serious consideration.
Old 03-08-2007

zerubb is on a distinguished road
A sailing boat is meant to sail! What happens if the motor gives out on you? Good seamanship is about being prepared for the unexpected (read unwanted) as best you can. I assume you are planning to learn to sail your Cat at some stage, so why not now. I would suggest you find a good delivery skipper, explain your situation and have him teach you (and your sister) the basics on your delivery. I did this some years ago, when I moved from power to sail, even though I had some limited daysailing experience. That was really money well spent. Not only did I gain confidence in my pride and joy, but the skipper found a few things the surveyor had missed and showed me how to best set the boat up, he even fixed a few things without charge. Happy Sailing
Old 03-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
zerubb...good suggestion. It's been 4 weeks since he last posted though. Wonder what happened!??