Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007

wzhannig is on a distinguished road
New to Sailing and gotta move my boat

Hi all,
I need some advise. I just bought a Catalina 27. I dont know how to sail but lifelong dream to learn. I need to get my boat up the Sounthern Calif coast about 50 miles (Dana Point to San Pedro) I have had a survey on the boat and everything look fine on the boat to sail save having the bottom of the boat cleaned which I will have done. As I do not know how to sail, my sister and i were planning on motoring it. We were going to take 2 days to do it as we didnt want afternoon winds (I heard the santa ana winds made for not so calm waters in the afternoon) WOuld this be a good idea or should I hire someone to sail it? THe engine is an Evinrude 8HP 2cyl. Any advise one could give would be great.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
You did fine grasshopper for getting survey. You do better to ask for advice before taking precious cargo out to sea. Most honorable sailboat owner, you do not specify boating experience or educational achievements. You make answering final question harder then chinease arithmetic. If you or honorable sister have boating experience, and feel comfortable going into environment that will not support life but for very short time if in water, then take ceremonial chill and cast off. If little or no boating experience in family, then seek qualified assistance just as you most wisely did with survey.
Fair Winds
Old 01-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It might be worth either hiring someone to move it or to have it hauled via truck... Not knowing how to sail is definitely a handicap, as if anything goes wrong with the motor, you'll have no backup propulsion...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-30-2007

Thank you oh wise ones. My sister has motor boating experience but not sailing. Does anyone know what I would expect to pay a person to sail it this distance
Old 01-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A 50-mile distance as the crow flies doesn't mean that the trip will be 50-miles as the boat sails. It might be worthwhile, if you have any friends that sail well, to have them take you out on the boat and have you help them move it. You'll learn a bit more about the boat, how to use, and maybe learn a bit about sailing.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-30-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
My advice...This isn't a bad trip in calm settled weather and can be broken down into 2 legs by stopping at Newport Beach.

1. Go out of Dana Point and motor around out there for a couple of hours close to shore and get the feel of the boat in the waves and make sure everything is working OK...push the motor hard and use NEW fuel and oil.
Test all equipment...GPS/VHF/Portable VHF and depthsounder particularly. Throw a life preserver overboard and go retrieve it. Throw your resue buoy at it till you get good. Set a waypoint in your GPS based on your charts YOU HAVE THEM RIGHT...and motor to it. Now find your way back into Dana point using another GPS waypoint you set based on your charts. Do the same with your BACKUP GPS!! Build your confidence in the boat and know how to use your equipment.

2. Wait for a good THREE day forecast with light winds and relatively calm seas and do it!! Program in GPS waypoints for all possible harbors along the way in case something goes wrong. If you make it to Newport Beach in good shape...don't forget to check the weather on your VHF again before you leave the next day.

3. Have fun!
Old 01-30-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
"2. Wait for a good THREE day forecast with light winds and relatively calm seas and do it!! Program in GPS waypoints for all possible harbors along the way in case something goes wrong. If you make it to Newport Beach in good shape...don't forget to check the weather on your VHF again before you leave the next day."
My god are you trying to kill them? From my years on the west coast the moneys on them being more wrong than right predicting the weather! LOL

Good advice here. Also you might want to check your OB and tank for ethanol damage. Hoses, tank fittings and motor ect. prior to leaving.
Old 01-30-2007
Telstar 28

Also might want to clean out the fuel tank before doing this trip. If there is any sediment/dirt/sludge at the bottom of the tank, you want to get rid of it before you go.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-30-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
The catalina 27 is very easy to sail. That being said, I dunno nuffin' 'bout birfin' no outboard on that boat.

I know I can make 5.5, 5.7 kts with the A-4 inboard.
Take the advise of the sailors here, they're good people.
(well, most of them)
Also, take a weekend or two, talk to some people at the marina, ask for them to go out for a day sail with you. It'll make you much more comfortable with your boat. You can do it. Raise the sails, know when to reef, and go slow, you'll be fine.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 01-30-2007

Wow! now I am really intimidated. Thanks for all of the advise. Does anyone know of someone in dana point area that can help me get this thing to San Pedro?