SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

setting up a loose footed main

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Skipper Dan 
#1 ·
I just got my new sail and had them make it loose fitted. They said that most boats can be converted to loose foot. Just what do I need to do to convert it?

Do I need to know any specifics as far as setting it up?

Sail is a Precision Sail, boat is a Chrysler 26

Dan

#2 ·
You need an outhaul system that will also keep the clew down on the boom. If you want to take full advantage of the benefits of a loose footed main, you might want to install a track and car on your boom to control the clew, as inmast reefing systems have.
Quite often I will sheet the boom out and vang it down, using the outhaul to trim the main. Sometimes it seems the main is another jib.

#3 ·
I have been looking at some pictures of setups and I see the extra rope tying the clew down to the boom. I can see how a car would be beneficial.

I also got a small batten with a halyard tied to it. I also saw one of these in a pic. any idea what this is for? About a foot long

#4 ·
I also got a small batten with a halyard tied to it. I also saw one of these in a pic. any idea what this is for? About a foot long
It's for help in installing the battens. I'm sure you will find there is straps with velcro for holding them in. The short batten is for pushing the strap in after inserting the batten into the pocket.

#5 ·
Chrylser 26, you can get away with the likely included heavy duty hook and loop fastener roll... Usually two loops around the boom and through the cringle on the clew is enough. Attach the outhaul as per usual (sometimes at that size an external hank on the end of an internal 4:1 or 8:1 purchase inside the boom).

The tack can obviously connect to the gooseneck or pin on the gooseneck.. or in my case a sail slug into the slot, and the cunningham cringle along sets the luff tension.

#7 ·
Exactly. Just use a clew strap. You see these on quite large boats, and that is what I use on my PDQ 32. Simple, strong, never jams. No need to add hardware.

A sail tie worked perfectly well the first few sails...

... Until I made a better one. You will need an outhaul, but what ever you have will probably be fine.

#8 · (Edited)
For an easier equivalent of a clew-strap, Smaller boats can use a PTFE coated clew outhaul slug ... an significantly elongated and 'stronger'/reinforced sail slug.
An alternative (for larger boats and for less friction) is to combine the elongated clew outhaul slug with a clew strap.

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969

Attachments

#11 ·
I set up the sail today on the hard. This is what I have, it fits nice in the track and looks like it will work well. They also sent along some strapping to bind the main in the bag that would also work if I needed more. All in all I like the sail they sent me. A new main sail for $450.00 is not bad. This thing attracts dirt though. getting it back in the bag it looks like I used it all year already. Impossible to fold on the boat so it had to be on the ground. I'll have to find some nice clean concrete and wash it before I even get to sail. Thanks for all the help. :cut_out_animated_em

#9 ·

The clew strap in this pic is made from velcro sewn back-to-back through a piece of webbing and put around the boom, through the cringle and over itself in two or three turns. Any sailmaker could make one quickly and easily enough.

The good things about this setup.
No shackle needed
Avoids need for slugs or small track
Easily removable
Easily adjustable for height/clearance.

Outhaul adjustment seems to work fine, but you do need a clean boom with no interference in that area (extra padeyes, bolt heads, etc)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.