Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Smile

All that tether crap is nonsense. Off shore it makes sense. On inland waterways it's not necessary. When I was out in the North Atlantic in November in gale force winds and 15-20 foot seas we were all hooked in when on deck and in the cockpit. For inland sailing that's a joke. Get real. The thread has been reading to many sailing magazines. If you are afraid of some risk take up chess.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
LWL...have to disagree with you on that. I agree in the summer on the Chesapeake etc....but he is in the PacNW and a spill into the water at this time of year means death in pretty short order. He needs a SHORT tether as a singlehander to insure he stays onthe boat. I agree the whole safety mafia can go too far, but if I were him, I'd have a harness and tether rather than a life preserver.
Old 02-09-2007
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Give me your address so I can send you a cookie!
Old 02-09-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Cam

In the situation you mention a better bet might be a wet suit and life jacket. I assume you are concerned about hyperthermia.
Old 02-09-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
LWL...right. Either way...but i'd rather wear a tether than a wetsuit. I fell in the water up in Maine in the summer a few years back just while at the dock and it took every ounce of my strength just to get back in my dinghy. Gave me new respect for the sapping power of cold water!
Funny..but the kids up there go swimming in the same temp water. Don't know how they do it!
Old 02-09-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Inland sailing??? what is that?? how can you sail inland...I only know insea sailing....
Old 02-09-2007

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I used to sail on a small inland lake, and could easily swim a half mile or so to shore if I fell off the boat, even without a pfd. On that lake, I rarely felt a need to wear a pfd, and never wore a harness. But, now I'm doing a lot of singlehanding on the Chesapeake, and have jacklines, harness and tether. I use them whenever the conditions freshen up, because when you get away from Annapolis, there are a lot of areas where you might not see another boat for a long distance, and you can be a lot more than a mile from shore.

I'm not afraid of risk, having engaged in lots of fairly risky activities in my lifetime, but, regardless of how much risk is inherent in sailing the Bay, a harness and tether reduces it.

Years ago, I was about a mile from a sailboat when it rolled over while entering a pass, resulting in the loss of a life. That life wouldn't have been lost if the person had been wearing a harness and tether. That one object lesson was enough for me to realize the value of a harness and tether.
Old 02-09-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
LWL...your'e absolutely right, a rare thing here....

how can we miss that...please can you also recommend to the guy, sailing at night without lights, taking more people onboard than the boat can carry, get some vodka shots (10 will do), go full sail into a squall, stay in front of tankers...and drive the car without seat belt....that should decrease his chess urges....

I can't believe what you're saying...have you ever fallen off a sailboat at 10kts???

I understand if you sail a small lake or a small boat near shore, it might be overkill....but he was asking for recommendations....I quit.

OHHHH My!!!! Jaysus, Mary, and Joseph, the Saints and Our Lady Of Fatima!!!!!!!! (All together at least 4 times)........
Old 02-09-2007

tonic is on a distinguished road
Wow and all this started over a first solo sail. Hey RayMetz100 enjoy your sailing and be safe use your own judgement and common sense. Peace to all, happy sailing.
Old 02-09-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I remember my first solo sail. It was great! Keep at it, sometimes the best sailing is done alone.