Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2002

EricS. is on a distinguished road
Classic books/texts

Looking to find what titles are considered "classic" texts on the subject of sailing. Am interested in instructional, narrative/non-fiction and fiction.

Any recommendations? Best instructional books to start with? Thanks in advance.

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2002

sailorman_10 is on a distinguished road
Classic books/texts

Desperate Voyage by John Caldwell is a great non-fiction read. Also read Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum. This is non-fiction as well. I feel that reading fiction is a waste of time. As far as instructional, read a book on sail trim and check out the articles here at sailnet. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2002

Classic books/texts

Thanks Sailorman 10. Part of what I had in mind was to build up a solid nautical library on various subjects.

As far as fiction goes, I was thinking along the lines of Melville, Stevenson, and the like. Good yarns that could be enjoyed by both the young and young at heart.
Old 01-03-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Classic books/texts

These are some of my favorite sailing books and distance cruising favorite classics:

By the Wind- Richard Baum- *****
My all time favorite sailing book about a guy and his engineless Starling Burgess Cutter in post- WW II Atlantic.

Dove- Robin Graham (I think) **
- School boy borrows family boat for a long weekend, (a very long week end) sailing west single-handed until he finds the world, home, fame, National Geographic and a wife. Now grounded and lives in Rockies.

The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst- Nicholas Tomalin and Ron Hall****
-Haunting story of man who can''t take no for an answer. A reminder that all who sail east do not necessarily come home and the real significance of keeping a log, or two, or three.

The Riddle of the Sands- Erskine Childers****
-A couple chums go looking for a relaxing cruise in the northern coast of France and find spies and shallow water. Great read by an author who was a decorated British Intelligence officer who was later shot by an Irish firing squad as a traitor but whose book, posthumously, proved to be helpful to British World War II efforts.

Sailing Alone around the World Alone-Josh Slocum ***1/2
Old salt with broken clock and too much spare time on his hands sails around the world in a rebuilt oyster smack. Proof that no matter how half-assed and poorly equipped a boat may be, a resourceful good seaman can sail her around the world at least once. Josh disappeared at sea on his second attempt.

Alone Around the World- Naomi James ** 1/2
Great Lady, well written, big world, short book. My real disappointment is that she seemed to rush through things.

Great Adventures in Small Boats- David Klein and Mary Louise King *****
(Originally published as "They took to the Sea"
-A compendium of excerpts from some of the best sea stories of small boat sailor authors. Great stuff, great read, well organized. Worth it, if just for the Prologue by Rockwell Kent

The Fight of the Firecrest- Alaign Gerbaualt ****
-Starving artist takes rotten old English cutter around Europe until totally worn out (Boat and artist) and then sails across the Atlantic without enough food water or wine. Marvelous stuff.

The Saga of "Cimba"- Richard Maury***1/2
-Guy buys cool little fishing schooner and sails from Nova Scotia to western Pacific only to lose boat to greedy Post Officials. Good story

Sailing for Woman- Steve Colgate''s wife, ***1/2
I am not sure what the real name of this book or Mrs. Colgate (my copy is out on loan) but it is my current favorite ''learning to sail'' book for beginners.

Performance Sailing- Julian Bethwaite,
This is a great book about all things related to sailing fast. Weather, boats, sail trim, you name it.

Any of C.A Marchaj''s books on the technology of sailing.
Tony Marchaj really went where no man had gone in collecting detailed information avbout the aerodynamics and hydrodynamics of boats. While slightly dated his book ''Seaworthiness the forgotten factor'' changed the way that many of look at sailboat design.

The Cruise of the Snark- Jack London ***
-Great Author shows how not to do it in Edwardian Times.

Marlinespike Seamanship- Hervey Garratt Smith****
This simple little book was published more than 50 years ago but even today it is a wonderful introduction to the fine art of splicing and knoting line.

N by E - Rockwell Kent**1/2
-Very poetic

Voyage of the Paper Canoe- N.H. Bishop ***
- Man Takes paper canoe in post Civil War U.S. and paddles from St. Lawrence River to Cedar Key in Florida. A bit dry but very fascinating.

Anything by William Albert Robinson *****
-Man buys strange Alden wishbone ketch and sails all over the place with a cannibal for crew between the world wars. Captured by pirates in North Africa. Funny, bizarre, gives you a sense how much things have changed in sixty years. One of the first long distance Air/ Sea rescues when Robinson bursts an appendix.

Anything by Joseph Conrad
-In particular, Youth, Secret Sharer, Heart of Darkness, ****** of the Narcissis, and well the list is to long.

The Shipkiller- Justin Scott****
-Man looses wife and boat and goes seeking new boat, stinger missile and the ship that sank him.

Voyaging on a Small Income- Anne Hill ***1/2
-No swash to her buckle but good reading. A very sensible and realistic book by a woman who with her husband has gone a voyaging in a very pragmatic way. You have to really like this Lady. Some very clearly presented and well thought out original thinking.

I''m sure I am missing some but this should keep you. I expect book reports when you have finished. Class dismissed. Have fun.
Jeff
Old 01-04-2002

dhartdallas is on a distinguished road
Classic books/texts

You have plenty of good reading recommened here. I''ll add one I consider wonderful for those who love sailing. It is by Robin Know-Johnston, and it is called, "A World of My Own." He was the first person to ever single handedly circumnavigate the globe non stop. It was the same race Donald Crowhurst was in - "The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst." Both are compelling. But Know-Johnston''s puts you on board, at sea, in a very vivid way. He was a superb seaman, ex-Royal Navy, very knowledgeable. Great adventure. It''s like being there.
Old 01-04-2002

dhartdallas is on a distinguished road
Classic books/texts

Typo. Sorry. That''s Knox-Johnston.
Old 01-04-2002

EtherCat is on a distinguished road
Classic books/texts

Oooooo good list, Jeff_H

Sensible Cruising by Don Casey & Lew Hackler, a philosophical approach to sailing based on Thoreau''s ''Walden''

Longitude by Dava Sobel, a history of the search for accurate navigational methods in the 17th and 18th centuries

Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling, about a rich boy who falls off a luxury liner, is rescued by fishermen, and has to earn his keep aboard til they return to port

the Horatio Hornblower series by CS Forester, about a teenage midshipman in the English Navy during the time of the French Republic and Napleonic Wars

Ill have to second the recommendation for Shipkiller too, which was probably the first sailing adventure book I ever read

And, of course, Chapmans Piloting (which made *much* more sense to me after reading Sailing for Dummies)
Old 01-04-2002

Snap is on a distinguished road
Classic books/texts

The late Patrick O''Brian wrote some 21 books about the Royal Navy of the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Those, along with "A Sea of Words, a Lexicon and Companion for Patrick O''Brian''s Seafaring Tales" by Dean King, John B. Hattendorf and J. Worth Estes are good captivating reads.

Other than the Ship''s manuals for my boat, the tech manuals for onboard systems and a few ref. manuals, they are the only books I keep along. I have found that at my age by the time I finish the set, I can start over again because I''ve already forgotten what I read before. It''s like having a never-ending library.

Snap
Old 01-04-2002

thomasstone is on a distinguished road
Classic books/texts

The Long Way, Bernard Moitessier. He was actually in the lead dhartdallas and decided to keep going.

thomas
Old 01-04-2002

Classic books/texts

Thanks all for the replies! Oh and Jeff, can those book reports be typed? Double spaced I hope. Really appreciate it folks.